my very own micro farm

Pics

Almost there.

Last edited:
Spent the majority of this morning racing against the sparatic rainfall to get the coop to a habitable point for the kelsos. And now it is. Put them in just before work. And all seems to be well.

They got quite a few snacks to help settle them in. All the birds for that matter. It seems when we bring new ones in , everyone gets treat overload to ease the tension.
Some perks of the new coop include rampless entry. For more floor space.

Fitted breakout floor for easy access and cleaning of the inside of coop.

Hardware clothe seamed between boards for a tighter hold

And this is my first flush gate. Getting those measurements right has been driving me crazy Over the past few frames I've built.

Started this off with the weather might as well end with it. I mentioned rain a bit, for a brief few minutes it was hailing pea sized flecks before work today. I'm not sure most of the birds knew what to make of it.
I'll be picking up the austrolorps Monday. Gonna make a day of it and hit the Oakland zoo beforehand with the family. Was hoping for more than the 6 I'll be getting but still more than happy to help out. Not much left to finish up all around. Still gotta get up early Last bits of both projects left to finsh up Maybe take a 5 or something. Or..... just get started on the coolerbator cause we all know I can't stop doing something. Onward and upward.

OK. Super busy this weekend sorry all. Got the new little broody pen done yesterday. And of course upon completion my girls had to make sure it was suitable.

And I went with the plug lid instead of hinged.

Don't know why it just seemed like a good idea at the time. This was all in preparation for these little girls (hopefully all girls anyways).

To late now for some good daylight pics and they are getting cozy in the carrier. At the in laws for the night. Be home in the morning to put them in their new home. The day went well started with that long drive to the bay. Weather was fair enough, no rain, I was kinda worried with the weekend being how it was. We really wanted to make a day of it, so the oakland zoo seemed like a great idea to start once we were out there. A lot of cool animals, lions tigers and bears oh my. But seriously all those things were there along with the rest of your regular zoo animals, but we kept finding ourselves wondering about all the mallards that were there. And there were a lot of them. Apparently just there for the free food. This kinda threw us since there were some obvious differences between ours and the ones we saw today. After the zoo we went down to the shore a few blocks from the school we were picking up the chicks at and again saw mallards along with some geese, some other little black water birds with these crazy dinosaur feet and this single pair of ducks that slightly resembled mallards, possible cross breeds. I'll post a few pictures of em tomorrow here and on the duck thread. Think this about covers it for now. I'm sure there's more I can't think of and of course always more pictures but alas until tomorrow. Onward and upward
Attimus

So here's those ducks we saw. Not sure what they are, any guesses?

So. more pictures of the chicks and a few of the other birds. Been pretty project focused lately. So here some fun stuff from the day.

The Sweds were being fun today.

Some more chick pics

Lording over his girls.

And a really good shot of his crazy slate blue legs.

And of course burgler always looks like she's pouting whenever we bring new birds in.

Last edited:
So here's those ducks we saw. Not sure what they are, any guesses?

So. more pictures of the chicks and a few of the other birds. Been pretty project focused lately. So here some fun stuff from the day.

The Sweds were being fun today.

Some more chick pics

Lording over his girls. Burler

I see a coot and what look like young mallards or mallard mixes

Thanks, was wondering what the little bird was too. They looked really akward. And I figured the others were at least mallard crosses but look nothing like mine did when they were younger. There was a sign up about not feeding the wildlife and how parks had become popular to leave pet ducks and the like and how it was a problem.

Last edited:
So I decided to bring the chicks in last night. Pretty sure they could have managed but I felt a lot more comfortable with them in. Back out now, seems like it is now going to be part of the morning routine for the time being. Gonna put two little perches together for the chicks. One in the coop and one in the run. This way I can remove the one inside easily when I have a hen go broody. Which I'll have to put off until these little girls move out.

Back
Top Bottom