my very own micro farm

Pics
Just some fun pictures from before I headed to work.

Last of the 2x4s got put up today.
Well those that I had on hand anyways, maybe pick up the last few in the morning. Been utilizing a series of screws around the 4x4 posts as a second pair of hands. Don't always have someone around to help when ive got the free time. They actually made doing this on my own this morning so much easier. Just gotta keep pushing forward with things.
Still putting all the pieces together for the bator, amazon is taking an extra day, wish I could get a few bucks back but its not worth the time to complain. Not that they would reimburse for something like that anyways, there's a billion+ people ordering from them daily. And I still don't have everything else so its not like I'm waiting on it to finish up.
Anyways, the clock ticks and morning always grows ever closer.

Onwards and upwards
Attimus

I build a lot of stuff alone, a few screws, a couple clamps, a wire coat hanger.... lots of things you can use as a third hand.

Even when you're not working alone they can help, I rigged up a couple of these to hold 2x12x12 joists on a deck build.
Leveled the fixtures with a water tube level, then placed the joist and a couple of bar clamps for drilling bolt holes.

Clamps and Ratchet straps are some of my best friends!
I build a lot of stuff alone, a few screws, a couple clamps, a wire coat hanger.... lots of things you can use as a third hand. Even when you're not working alone they can help, I rigged up a couple of these to hold 2x12x12 joists on a deck build. Leveled the fixtures with a water tube level, then placed the joist and a couple of bar clamps for drilling bolt holes.
Necessity truely is the mother of invention. Another trip to the lumber yard today. Last three frames will be done tomorrow around the pond. Also grabbed a sheet of plywood and a sheet of insulation. This will be the start of my incubator, didn't find the right cooler, maybe if I make a quick one for someone that will be an option, but I really just want to jump in head first at this point. Here's what I have in mind prawns
Feel like I have all the tools, last parts for it should be here tomorrow. Need to check the tracking and see how early it'll be. Not that it matters, I've got to finish the fence first. Kids already running. Lol. Sure does tire her out tho. As long as I stay two steps ahead we're good. Fixing to be a busy weekend at work, gotta love postcard holidays. Brought home about two pounds of raw shrimp shells for everyone to investigate in the morning. The shrimp will be used for a special vday appetizer, pancetta wrapped prawns, also severing deep fried Gouda sticks with roasted garlic marinara. The dinners should be pretty epic too, no chefs special pairings tho. Although we are roast off a few prime ribs for a prime and lobster for two. And I'll finish the weekend off with brunch vday morning, no spoilers tho. So many eggs to cook. Specials to come. Onwards and upwards Attimus

As majestic and stoic as hawks can be they are now an immediate pain in my butt. Before I headed to work yesterday I followed a few around the property as they slumped from tree to tree.(I was making sure they were moving ;) ) this is the closest they have been consistently in quite some time. The worst part of it is in following them around I found a potential nest being built on the other side of the property. I think it's year one for them and they are pairing off for spring, however I certainly can't have a freaking hawks nest a few hundred yards from my chickens.
Always something. Maybe tracking my stuff will make me feel a bit better, says it has until 8pm but the delivery guys never show up past 3.
Anyways.

Onwards and upwards
Attimus

So I've decided to be just as annoying to the hawks as they are to me. I will continue to encourage the crows to linger around the property by tossing the occasional egg over the fence. Banging pots and hurling rocks into trees they are perched on top of will be added to the routine. This will include the evenings while they are in the nest, along with a nice high powered flashlight and maybe a laser pointer. Possibly pick up a foghorn too, my neighbors are just gonna love me. :):) I might have to start some of my scarecrow frames as well. For now I've patched up a few wholes in my run netting that the winter has caused and the girls are closed up tight if nothing else than to break the routine that these devilish predators are obviously aware of.

The last of my bator supplies showed up in the mail today. It's gonna be a few days at least as I want to get the fence for the pond finished before I start on the next thing. Happy to have all the components this time around, not always my usually forte ;).

Vday weekend is crazy! 150+ dinners tonight at work. So many appetizers. Lol and its not even thee day yet. Running the same special menu tomorrow night, thank the skies I won't be there for it. I am however getting up in a few short hours to start my vday brunch prep. Should be an interesting mourning. Specials to include the avocado Benedict, banana pancakes with peanut butter whipped cream, strawberry stuffed french toast and fried chicken and waffles for two.

Boss also mentioned running the quail for pairing next week, time to get creative.

Pucker your butts and grab your nuts, its gonna be a bumpy ride.

Onwards and upwards
Attimus

Brunch was pretty crazy yesterday, I can only imagine what dinner was like. Here's my vday stuffed french toast.

Strawberries and cream cheese. Drizzled with chocolate sauce and powdered sugar

We end up doing 131 breakfasts, almost as good as the previous nights dinner.

Here's a serious batch of hollandaise.
2dozen egg yolks about to get 2lbs of melted butter added to it.

The chickens were happy to see me come home, its been a while since they've been confined to the pen for a whole day. Two still managed to get out, one of the kelso and a gamey ee, so I let the rest out to run around for a bit before it got dark. I really gotta find that hole today. Should also have time to get that wood up and start hammering fencing into it as well.

This busy little bee is up. Time to get moving.

Onwards and upwards
Attimus

Back
Top Bottom