Mystery Chicken

Gold Coaster

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 8, 2012
Gold Coast - Queensland Australia
Hello everyone,

One of my local animal shelters has a young chicken for adoption but I was hoping someone could help me identify a few factors about it from the photo.

Is this a young pullet or a roo?
How old is s/he?
What breed might s/he be? (They classify her/him as 'grey' in colouring).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am considering adopting her/him (only if it is a her I'm afraid due to local Council laws about roosters) and purchasing another pullet around the same age so that they can keep each other company. I have no idea why she was surrendered to the local animal shelter.

Cheers,
Gold Coaster

Looks like a pullet to me, about 4-5 months of age. Not 100% sure on the breed; I live in the United States and don't know what breeds you have in Australia. If it was in the U.S., though, I would think some sort of game breed, like the Malay, Asil, or Shamo.

It has that jungle look, doesn't it? I have no idea--maybe some Cornish?
It's got a decently red face for the size, but I don't know on age. Not more than 4 months, I'm pretty confident. Not sure on gender, sorry. Maybe a pic showing the legs and a comb close up?

Chuckcrazy I thought the very same thing when I saw her on the Shelter's website, but when I went to pick her up she was the complete opposite of Spielberg's raptors in Jurassic Park. She is very affectionate and follows me everywhere and always jumps up so that I can shower her with kisses and cuddles. I just really hope that she is a pullet and not a roo, because I couldn't bear to part with her. The local council laws in my state do not permit me to keep roosters.

I've been asked to post pictures of her comb, feet and the back of her neck as this can better identify her gender. I promise to do this as soon as they settle and fall into their new routine. I also managed to find two Partridge Old English Game pullets around the same size for companions. We named them Saffron and Cinnamon and the one I adopted is Bluebell. Saffron is quite feisty and picks on the other two, which leads me to my next question. Would a young pullet bully a young roo?

Cheers,
Gold Coaster

Chuckcrazy I thought the very same thing when I saw her on the Shelter's website, but when I went to pick her up she was the complete opposite of Spielberg's raptors in Jurassic Park. She is very affectionate and follows me everywhere and always jumps up so that I can shower her with kisses and cuddles. I just really hope that she is a pullet and not a roo, because I couldn't bear to part with her. The local council laws in my state do not permit me to keep roosters.

I've been asked to post pictures of her comb, feet and the back of her neck as this can better identify her gender. I promise to do this as soon as they settle and fall into their new routine. I also managed to find two Partridge Old English Game pullets around the same size for companions. We named them Saffron and Cinnamon and the one I adopted is Bluebell. Saffron is quite feisty and picks on the other two, which leads me to my next question. Would a young pullet bully a young roo?

Cheers,
Gold Coaster
Chickens will bully eachother, no matter their gender. Cockerels have a habit of picking on hens, but dominant (or those who want to be dominant) hens will bully subordinate cockerels, too. One of my bantam Wyandotte hens is a bully (though a rather nice one, as bullies go) to every bird she meets, male or female. Before new birds are accepted into her flock, my bully hen must first make it clear that she is the boss.

Hello again!

I adopted the little tyke in the end and called 'her' Bluebell. I also managed to find her a couple of friends that were the same size as her. Two Partridge Old English Game pullets that I named Saffron and Cinnamon. I let them run around in the yard every afternoon and managed to snap some pictures to help you have a better look at Bluebell's body, tail, legs and comb. Let me know if you still believe she's a pullet, and roughly her age and breed. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not a roo.

Cheers,
Gold Coaster

Back
Top Bottom