NEED HELP WITH COSTS>>>>>Neighbors dog killed my whole flock ....

Online, adult, standard breed birds (already laying hens) run $200 for a pair including shipping. Juveniles were $30+ each with shipping from the major suppliers (Stromberg's). When I can find them locally, they are less (average $30), but are subject to availability.

I have free-ranged chickens in a fenced 1/2 acre for over 10 years and have never lost any to wild animals . . . only neighborhood dog raids. In October, 4 pit bulls from next door dug under the fence and wiped out my entire flock - 9 laying hens, a rooster and 6 juveniles. Besides the one dog we managed to shoot, the others belonged to local drifters/druggies without a penny to their names, so small claims court was not even an option. Animal control impounded the remaining 3, but all were returned to their owners with warnings after faithfully promising the judge they would keep them contained.

This spring, we repaired the fence and started fresh with chicks. Last weekend, one of the same dogs again wiped out my entire flock in the coop (not free-ranging). She jumpted the 5' fence before we could contain or eliminate her. Did manage to get pictures though which will result in her eventual impoundment, but won't recover our financial loss. We've discovered the hard way that, while helpful, animal control is really hindered by red tape and legal limitations. And while horrific, shooting the dogs is the only answer.

I can't even tell you how I would feel, I was just sick when I let a opossum in the coop on accident and got my only blue egg layer eaten. I let the flock out under my supervision, leaving the coop door open, and one slunk in, when the girls returned they never even reacted to the smell or sight. My husband was the one who discovered the mess. My hero,
bow.gif
, killed it with a ax, and disposed of the remains, it feel asleep in the nest box. The reason I'm sharing this is I took a year to plan a coop that was Fort Knox. The first thing I hear for someone who decides to keep chicken or any livestock is fencing/safe housing problems. We have everything dogs, raccoons, fishers, including hunting hawks and a bear sighting last fall! Re-reinforcing your coop is the only way to begin again. But next time it may not be a dog. The advice on prices is good, providing a reasonable cost that is see-able, receipt for a couple of bags of feed, advertised prices of similar sized hens, may keep it out of court. Also, finding out what fines in court her dog will be subjected to will help you as well. Hopefully in a few weeks this will be nothing more than a painful lesson for both of you. My husband is going to be adding scare wire ( the electric fencing attached to a run) and a wire top for our future permanent run--right now they stay cooped up if we are not right there.

Last edited:
This has happened more than once. Once it was raccoons, the worst was when a neighbors husky dogs got in and killed and mangled all our poultry. The kids were given a fair financial settlement by the owner of the huskies. After that the kids never wanted to raise poultry and dropped out of 4-h. I was really angry at the owners of the huskies. They never had a clue how upset those kids were. We built better fences. The kids grew up, the huskies eventually died and then the eagles came and swiped our ducks. Now we have more fences and survalance cameras. I know this don't help, but these things happen. Build a better fence and try to avoid starting a war with the neighbors.

I think the general consensus here is that neighbors are pricks ( the real words I wanted to use were not appropriate ) I live in suburbia so shooting them is not possible , however some of our neighbors love out sheep ad chickens and one keeps complaining about mine crowing ( I didn't have a rooster at this point) so I don't know what's going on there. But your right animal control is useless, and huskies can't be trusted. We had one come in ( our min fencing is 6ft ) chase the chickens and maul our prized rare breeding ewe ( worth quite a bit of $$$) twice and every time the animal was given back to the owner who just let it roam. The ewe needed a lot of tlc and vet care and over 1000 bucks of time was spent on her rehabilitation ad $500+ on vet stuff. However after that the dog was moved an started gettin people's cats as small dogs, before it finally growled at a young toddler and was eventually put down much to the horror of the owner who didn't think it had done anything wrong. So it is the case of they start one one then eventually go for humans, they need to be stopped before then. I strongly recommend a fort nox being built, and if money's not the issue then laying netting under the ground with concrete sides and a totally wired run with electrics around it

I'm so sorry for your loss, duceedee.
sad.png

For future protection, I would recommend you arm yourself with a good guardian dog. It will keep away other dogs as well as raccoons, opossums, hawks (my dog watches the sky) and even any 2-legged predators that decide they would like to permanently "borrow" a chicken or two.

I think the general consensus here is that neighbors are pricks ( the real words I wanted to use were not appropriate )
I agree with Stiggy. How would you feel if it was a member of your family that was attacked? Not that I'm saying my chickens are family, they're livestock, but I refuse to attempt to keep my neighbors happy when they don't seem to care about me. Once is an accident, two is not!

Last edited:
As others have said, the only way to protect your flock is with electricity. We tried everything, and then figured out (from this website) that two strands of electrical wire around the perimeter of our run/coop is the way to go. Put the first wire at about 8 inches and the second at 15 inches. This covers the short and taller predators. We have watched skunks, raccoons and neighbor's dogs get shocked and they do NOT come back for more. We are lucky to be close enough to the house to run a heavy duty extension cord. Get one rated for outdoors, don't scrimp. And check the fence every week with a tester (or your finger if you dare). We also wrap the bottom of our run with black mesh that is made to keep birds off plants. We roll it like a sausage and zip tie it every four feet. If you put this inside the electric fence but ouside the run (unless you of course have free range birds...the chickens can get caught in it) and this has captured several snakes who were trying to get in.

Our neighbor also let his dogs "run loose so the could learn to hunt" (we are in a redneck area) and we finally had to shoot one of his dogs that was a repeat offender. This was before the electric. It was satisfying to see his dog get "stung" by the fence...and it does not really harm them.

Chickens are truly wonderful pets, great to eat and unfortunately on everyones menu! Good luck and do try not to feud with the neighbor. People never want to believe that their dog would do such a thing. (Except my neighbor who encouraged it.).

Hang in there!

I agree with Stiggy. How would you feel if it was a member of your family that was attacked? Not that I'm saying my chickens are family, they're livestock, but I refuse to attempt to keep my neighbors happy when they don't seem to care about me. Once is an accident, two is not!
Hey OldGuy, I'm new here and don't know how to post a link. How 'bout you post one to that excellent article?

Back
Top Bottom