need help with sick peacock

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
he is a 9 month old IB peacock and belongs to my daughter in law.
She says he is breathing hard, has a stuffed nose and that one side of his
face has become swollen in the past couple days.

before when he just had breathing difficulties we gave him .5cc of Tylan 200
and repeated 3 days later...no improvement and face swelled...

can anyone help?? any ideas??

The meds need to be giving every day not three days apart.
Can you post photos of the bird?
Someone with more knowledge should be by to help soon, I have never had to deal with it.

Last edited:
It's possible that the bacteria is resistant to Tylan and that you will need a different drug. Can you take it to vet? The vet could look a swab under the scope and advise what antibiotic would be best.

-Kathy

I would give 1.5cc of Tylan 200 for 2 days straight followed by 1cc for three consecutive days. A vet visit would not hurt and there are plenty of other antibiotics out there but none better broad spectrum than Tylan available quickly unless you have a prescription. You may also want to open the mouth and see if you can clear the plug that is causing the sinuses to swell. We have few cases of sinus issues these days but I did go a little over board last fall on the Sevin and/or DE and had an issue with two birds in the grow out pen. I never knew about the sinus plug thing until I was shown by another breeder. I had so so success with clearing the blockage. Live to Learn.

I am still dealing with the same problem. My vet just left with more specimens both pea and chicken, to take to the lab in the morning. Two weeks ago she gave one hen one cc of Zactran, she said it was good for ten days, the hen had a miraculous recovery within 36 hours. I will post more info as I receive it in my original thread.

I am still dealing with the same problem. My vet just left with more specimens both pea and chicken, to take to the lab in the morning. Two weeks ago she gave one hen one cc of Zactran, she said it was good for ten days, the hen had a miraculous recovery within 36 hours. I will post more info as I receive it in my original thread.
hugs.gif

Now thats my kind of vet. Not afraid to provide off label but common sense medication. Zactran good!

Back
Top Bottom