Neighborhood coyotes, advice needed!

Pics

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
We have neighborhood coyotes.

I live on the edge of a small town. On one end of the street is a major highway. Houses are on small lots, neighbors relatively close. We have a school, grocery store, etc., but from end to end town isn't much more than a mile. On all sides are either ranches or National Forest. Locals refer to my neighborhood specifically as coyote alley. There is green belt that allows coyotes to pass through easily.

Due to the close proximity of homes, being in town limits, and land ownership issues, shooting is not an option.

Generally the coyotes just pass through. You might hear them make a kill in the night or see a straggler during the day, but they move on.

This morning 3 coyotes went after my neighbors' dog. The owner was outside with her dog and it's a large black lab. This is a first and it make us uncomfortable. The coyotes are bold.

Edit:
What can be done? What should be done? At what point do we involve animal control or Division of Wildlife? Does anyone else have experience with this? This is my main question... have you dealt with Animal Control, Law Enforcement, Division of Wildlife, etc. and how did they handle the mitigation of interactions between people and coyotes in a populated area? What information did they need to take the threat seriously? Did they even do anything at all?

Things are clearly escalating and hopefully as the weather improves so will their food source, but we don't need a turf war between our domestic dogs and coyotes. We don't need a human getting injured either.

Last edited:

I live on the edge of a small town. On one end of the street is a major highway. Houses are on small lots, neighbors relatively close. We have a school, grocery store, etc., but from end to end town isn't much more than a mile. On all sides are either ranches or National Forest. Locals refer to my neighborhood specifically as coyote alley. There is green belt that allows coyotes to pass through easily.

Due to the close proximity of homes, being in town limits, and land ownership issues, shooting is not an option.

Generally the coyotes just pass through. You might hear them make a kill in the night or see a straggler during the day, but they move on.

This morning 3 coyotes went after my neighbors' dog. The owner was outside with her dog and it's a large black lab. This is a first and it make us uncomfortable. The coyotes are bold.

What can be done? What should be done? At what point do we involve animal control or Division of Wildlife? Does anyone else have experience with this?

Things are clearly escalating and hopefully as the weather improves so will their food source, but we don't need a turf war between our domestic dogs and coyotes. We don't need a human getting injured either.
I would contact your wildlife division asap as there has already been an attack on a dog.

What can be done? What should be done? At what point do we involve animal control or Division of Wildlife? Does anyone else have experience with this?

In California, if a wild animal goes after or kills livestock (okay, maybe a dog couldn't be considered "livestock"? I dunno) you can shoot it. I'm fact, often Fish and Game will come out and give you advice about it or do it themselves. Our coyote are quite brazen around here, and will often stare you down rather than run when encountered. Thankfully, they aren't a protected species; hopefully you can probably get some advice from whatever your local wildlife agency happens to be.

I would get animal control and/or DNR involved immediately. Sounds like that is your only option. There is a similar situation in a hoity-toity suburb of Indianapolis, but those idiots are trying to PREVENT some homeowners and DNR from intervening with coyote population, stating "they enjoy seeing wildlife, and they have a right to life too". We'll see how that goes once pets or little kids start getting attacked!

In California, if a wild animal goes after or kills livestock (okay, maybe a dog couldn't be considered "livestock"? I dunno) you can shoot it. I'm fact, often Fish and Game will come out and give you advice about it or do it themselves. Our coyote are quite brazen around here, and will often stare you down rather than run when encountered. Thankfully, they aren't a protected species; hopefully you can probably get some advice from whatever your local wildlife agency happens to be.

Thanks! I know this happens in other parts of the US, particularly the suburbs. I figured someone on here has probably dealt with it. Urbanized coyotes (or whatever you want to call them) certainly no longer have a healthy fear of people, I know what you mean about the stare down. As long as I have lived here I have made a healthy effort to yell and/or honk my horn excessively when I see them because I want them to fear the people and move on. I respect that I live in wildlife habitat and have lived peacefully with them for years, but aggression in daylight like that is not ok.

I would get animal control and/or DNR involved immediately. Sounds like that is your only option. There is a similar situation in a hoity-toity suburb of Indianapolis, but those idiots are trying to PREVENT some homeowners and DNR from intervening with coyote population, stating "they enjoy seeing wildlife, and they have a right to life too". We'll see how that goes once pets or little kids start getting attacked!

Animal Control is part of our sheriff department here and one of my neighbors is a sheriff. I think I will make an effort to talk to him this week and see what he recommends too.

Thanks! I know this happens in other parts of the US, particularly the suburbs. I figured someone on here has probably dealt with it. Urbanized coyotes (or whatever you want to call them) certainly no longer have a healthy fear of people, I know what you mean about the stare down. As long as I have lived here I have made a healthy effort to yell and/or honk my horn excessively when I see them because I want them to fear the people and move on. I respect that I live in wildlife habitat and have lived peacefully with them for years, but aggression in daylight like that is not ok.
Yeah, we have them come in pretty close but only while we are in the house. I saw a bitch with pups in our yard once. But they run like their tail is on fire at the sight of a human.

I'm wondering if the neighbor dog happens to be an intact male?

Back
Top Bottom