Neighborhood coyotes, advice needed!

Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately this is ongoing :( We have heard them several times since and this morning the group of 3 that previously went after the neighbor's dog was lurking about around 8:00am, so daylight hours. They are not afraid and until I got my family out in the yard with me they were trying to come in closer and staring me down instead of running off. We have plans to walk the fields together today with at least 2 people and 3 dogs and spread our scent and disturb any potential dens/holes we find. We do not want them having and rearing their pups near the houses. Hopefully we can convince them it's not a safe place to make their den and have their pups and they will move on, from what I gather, it's the time of year for that sort of behavior.

I think you all are highly mistaken if you think that peeing is going to keep them out.
They come close to town usually because we have taken their habitat AND we put out trash for easy pickin's - same with Bears, Polar Bears, Racoons etc.

Do you honestly think they sleep all day ? They are out at ALL times of Day and Night. It doesn't mean they are sick or anything else. They are looking for food, scouting out places etc. Most of the time you won't see them when they are 20 feet from you.

You are better off having a lot of noise all the time. They don't want a busy place.
Get a Sling Shot ;) They still act like dogs, hit one with a rock and they think twice.

Also, just because they are bigger doesn't mean they are a Hybrid coyote. I think that evolution is breeding them bigger. The strongest survive

I am waiting for my neighbor's tiny dog to get eaten when they tie it up at 5am on their front steps. They have a HUGE fenced back yard but still tie it out front. My hen is bigger then this dog....

make sure you make noise, Solid fence like you have there is good. You have a bunch of dogs so that is a plus, safety in numbers. Not sure how big the 'Field" is but light it up at night with a flood light.

EDIT- I re-read the 1st post. A Lab is NOT a big dog, a Dane or Mastiff is a BIG dog.
There is nothing you are going to be able to do to keep them out of your neighborhood. You live on the edge of their territory. High Solid fence, keep dogs IN fence. You can't shoot a coyote just for being around you and you don't want to try to do it while it is attacking your dog/person... Sling shot is your best bet if you want to 'deter' them but you have to hit them over and over, many different days before they MAY decide to find an 'easier' area. Every one should do that in the neighborhood for it to be effective. and that is no guarantee either. Farmers have been shooting them for years and they are still around.

downer post I know but what can you do :confused:

Last edited:
I think you all are highly mistaken if you think that peeing is going to keep them out.
They come close to town usually because we have taken their habitat AND we put out trash for easy pickin's - same with Bears, Polar Bears, Racoons etc.

Do you honestly think they sleep all day ? They are out at ALL times of Day and Night. It doesn't mean they are sick or anything else. They are looking for food, scouting out places etc. Most of the time you won't see them when they are 20 feet from you.

You are better off having a lot of noise all the time. They don't want a busy place.
Get a Sling Shot ;) They still act like dogs, hit one with a rock and they think twice.

Also, just because they are bigger doesn't mean they are a Hybrid coyote. I think that evolution is breeding them bigger. The strongest survive

I am waiting for my neighbor's tiny dog to get eaten when they tie it up at 5am on their front steps. They have a HUGE fenced back yard but still tie it out front. My hen is bigger then this dog....

make sure you make noise, Solid fence like you have there is good. You have a bunch of dogs so that is a plus, safety in numbers. Not sure how big the 'Field" is but light it up at night with a flood light.

Thanks. I think you've mixed up posts a bit, but do appreciate the input. The field immediately behind our house is about 25 acres, but across the street connects to 1000s of acres of ranch land and national forest. I do have motion lights on the front and back of the property. A fenced chicken and duck run, but the lot is not fenced, also 2 dogs that stay close to the house and don't often go out unsupervised. I've taught the Aussie mutt to "check the chickens" and she runs out and circles the coops.

Lately I saw my neighbors fixing their fence, today I saw their new dog. I shall call him Bait, weighing in at about 3 pounds.

I have read that coyotes mark their territories with urine. I like to think that if our dogs mark the same territory it may help convince the coyotes to move on.

Hybrid or not, coyotes have certainly adapted to people over the years. I think there are now over 20 subspecies! Some are probably bigger than others. Here I'd say they range 40-60 lbs.

I never until recently was concerned for my safety. This morning they were approaching me staring despite my yelling and a neighbor dog barking. Eventually they stopped and backed up, but they not run off. Also usually I just see one, but this group of 3 has been seen several times this week.

They have Cap guns, or Noise guns for scaring off bird ( but $$$ for what it is).
A Flare gun would be WAY cool !!! That should scare the shit out of them and something that have not seen.

In Texas farmers would kill them then hang them on the fence - it didn't work to scare the rest off for long, just kind of gross for everyone else looking at it. I was mad because you wasted a nice FUR. These things were so big i wasn't sure if it was Wolf or Coyote !

Ours around here vary in size from 40-80.

Dogs and cats just pee on the same spot, and will pee over others spots to remark. Not sure it will help as it is Predator to Predator ( people/dog to wolf ) not Prey to predator ( Wolf marking and deer smelling it and moving on). I know it isn't a Wolf, but either way I don't think they care about dogs or people and their pee :lol:

I still say get Sling shots and good size rocks/marbles. I like rocks because if you actually hit it it really hurts with all the edges :yesss: You should make up a flyer and give it to all the neighbors about the sling shot. Many don't want to use guns but a SS is FUN !!!!

:D;)

IMG_6469.JPG

My pup found this yesterday near the house. It's probably not one of the three due to the age, but maybe (hopefully) they will think it's not such a safe place to hang around. We also went and disturbed all the possible den sites we could find. Again, just don't want them to think it's a safe place to raise their pups.

Shooting guns actually prohibited.......or something you think might be a bad idea?

If legal, and they are brave enough to let you get close enough, your solution is simple. 12 gauge shotgun with #4 buckshot. Effective killing range is 30 to 40 yards, with very limited danger to anything 200 yards or so downrange. If there are only 2 or 3 of them, a competent shooter would get them all the first time.

Back
Top Bottom