Neighbors dog

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll call animal control now and post later with that I find. I really don't want to have to borrow money to take her to court for such a small amount. I'm by no means rich as a stay at home mom. My birds were meant to lower our future grocery cost and losing them just as they start earning their keep is a kick in the gut (and wallet)
That's exactly what you should tell AC. You've suffered "devastating" financial losses. If you get them on board as to how serious and often it is, and that she has made NO attempt to correct it even after repeated requests, they should go after her hard.

That's exactly what you should tell AC. You've suffered "devastating" financial losses. If you get them on board as to how serious and often it is, and that she has made NO attempt to correct it even after repeated requests, they should go after her hard. 

I just got off the phone with them. All they will do is come out and check that the dogs have been rabies vaccinated and tell her to keep them in her fence. My head may just explode.
He said it was because we're in the county outside of the city limits and there's "no leash law" whatever that means?

Last edited:
In SC you call Animal Control, they come over to do their investigation. If you agree to appear in court, they file all the papers and then they tell the dog owner when to show up in court. When you go to court, your tell your side to the judge, dog owner tells his side of the story. The dog warden tells the judge what he found in the investigation. Then the judge makes his decision and fines the dog owner.

The second time, every one repeats the above steps. If the judge finds the dog owner guilty again he can/or will order the dog destroyed.

You NEED to contact Animal Control to see what your rights are.
Hi Enola. That's exactly the way it is in Ca. AC should have been all over this. We would even set traps if the homeowner couldn't catch the offending animal. I hope where she is in AL has the same laws.
pop.gif

I just got off the phone with them. All they will do is come out and check that the dogs have been rabies vaccinated and tell her to keep them in her fence. My head may just explode.
He said it was because we're in the county outside of the city limits and there's "no leash law" whatever that means?
That's ok! Good deal for now, they will contact her and start a case. Strike 1 for her. If her dog isn't vaxed, that's a fine. Leash law means that a dog must be confined or leashed, can't roam off the property. Still, worrying livestock, killing chickens has to be illegal. What county? I'll look it up if you want...

That's ok! Good deal for now, they will contact her and start a case. Strike 1 for her. If her dog isn't vaxed, that's a fine. Leash law means that a dog must be confined or leashed, can't roam off the property. Still, worrying livestock, killing chickens has to be illegal. What county? I'll look it up if you want...
Houston. I looked it up and it says it is and it says that once a dog has a offence it should be destroyed otherwise the fines for any future offence will be double. Lovely laws but what good are they if the police and animal control don't want to enforce them?
They both said the dogs killing the chickens is a civil matter meaning if have to take her to court... So instead of the police of animal control taking care of it, I have to pay and hope I get my money back.

Last edited:
What your dogs did is irrelevent. She is still responsible and required by law to pay for the birds.

And with her "warning" I'd be making darned sure that my own dog did not set foot on her property again.

She's basically said that since my dogs roam into her yard, she's not going to pay for what her dog did... But my dogs have never damaged or injured anyone... Her dog killed two chickens before I caught it and put it back in her yard and then got back out and tore into my trash and spread garbage all over my yard...

If AC and LEO refuse to lift a finger, then is time for target practice. If her dog returns and so much as looks cross-eyed at your chickens or at you, it is time for a dirt nap.

Houston. I looked it up and it says it is and it says that once a dog has a offence it should be destroyed otherwise the fines for any future offence will be double. Lovely laws but what good are they if the police and animal control don't want to enforce them?
They both said the dogs killing the chickens is a civil matter meaning if have to take her to court... So instead of the police of animal control taking care of it, I have to pay and hope I get my money back.
To recoup damages, yes it's a civil matter but not the dog killing your chickens. That's AC's JOB. OK, so you have the pictures, the dog will either be back or she will keep it home. If you could, I would print what you read, trot on down to Animal Control, with that and the pictures, and a log of each incident, politely and firmly ask to speak to a Field Supervisor or the Director or ask to make an appt. Then they will know you are not going to let it slide. Something like "as I read this, she should be cited and fined at the very least". "Could you provide me with documentation of that for my records"? Explain how devastating your losses are. Explain that she has made no attempt at remedy, couldn't care less. Explain that your hope is that IF they fine her, and let her know that they can destroy her dog that she will keep it home. Explain how horrific it was for you to see the mutilation Explain how scared you are, knowing the dog will be back to kill the rest. That's their domain. Comments like "I really need your help!" Get their heart-strings. If you do that, hopefully your case is on their radar. And, the officer that SHOULD be handling the case should need to report back up the chain. This may do you absolutely no good at all, but as proud ex AC, I'm very disappointed, hence the long post.

To recoup damages, yes it's a civil matter but not the dog killing your chickens. That's AC's JOB. OK, so you have the pictures, the dog will either be back or she will keep it home. If you could, I would print what you read, trot on down to Animal Control, with that and the pictures, and a log of each incident,  politely and firmly ask to speak to a Field Supervisor or the Director or ask to make an appt. Then they will know you are not going to let it slide. Something like "as I read this, she should be cited and fined at the very least".  "Could you provide me with documentation of that for my records"? Explain how devastating your losses are. Explain that she has made no attempt at remedy, couldn't care less. Explain that your hope is that IF they fine her, and let her know that they can destroy her dog that she will keep it home. Explain how horrific it was for you to see the mutilation  Explain how scared you are, knowing the dog will be back to kill the rest. That's their domain. Comments like "I really need your help!" Get their heart-strings. If you do that, hopefully your case is on their radar. And, the officer that SHOULD be handling the case should  need to report back up the chain. This may do you absolutely no good at all, but as proud  ex AC, I'm very disappointed, hence the long post. 

I'll definitely do that as well as filing the civil case in small claims court. It's ridiculous that she won't just take responsibility but in the long run she's gonna end up paying more because of it

I don't know. It's only my opinion but I see it like this. She does owe for your loss. It seems the only way for your dog and her dog to get to each others property is under her trailer. She doesn't want to pay out and one could sue or let it go for the sake of keeping some sort of neighborly relations I'd just fix/fence the bottom of trailer so neither dog can go back and forth. Done deal. Harmony of living is priceless and you don't have to confine your dog, which you don't want to leash but would have to if continuing your current path of action. It'll be tit for tat and frayed relations which seem to be the case now as you text her instead of knocking on the door and having a talk with her. But that's just me. I don't have to like my neighbors but do keep in mind I will continue to live by them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom