Neighbors dog

LowerBamaMama

Chirping
Mar 9, 2015
Cottonwood, AL
Is it crazy to expect the neighbor to pay for the chickens her dog killed? My chicken breeder told me the values if I was to purchase them and said I should demand she pay up but idk... And if I ask and she refuses, do I have any recourse? If her dog damaged property I'm pretty sure I could file in small claims court and she'd have to pay but idk with livestock...

Is it crazy to expect the neighbor to pay for the chickens her dog killed? My chicken breeder told me the values if I was to purchase them and said I should demand she pay up but idk... And if I ask and she refuses, do I have any recourse? If her dog damaged property I'm pretty sure I could file in small claims court and she'd have to pay but idk with livestock...

Not crazy at all -- provided the birds were not on the neighbor's property when it happened.

Not crazy at all -- provided the birds were not on the neighbor's property when it happened. 

Nope, dog dug out of HER fenced in back yard under her house and came into my yard where my chicken coop is and where the chickens free range and chased the chickens into the woods behind my house. Still haven't found my poor Roos body. He was such a beautiful sweet boy

Last edited:
THEY HAVE to pay!
Alabama code
§ 3-1-6. Liability of owner, etc., for injuries to livestock, etc., caused by dog while off premises of owner, etc.
If any dog, not being at the time on the premises of the owner or person having charge thereof, shall kill or injure any livestock, the owner or person having such dog in charge shall be liable for damages sustained by the killing or maiming of any livestock and for the full costs of the action.
(Code 1907, § 2471; Code 1923, § 5679; Code 1940, T. 3, § 6.)

§ 3-1-5. Permitting dogs to run at large; applicability of provisions of section in counties and certain cities or towns.
(a) Every person owning or having in charge any dog or dogs shall at all times confine such dog or dogs to the limits of his own premises or the premises on which such dog or dogs is or are regularly kept. Nothing in this section shall prevent the owner of any dog or dogs or other person or persons having such dog or dogs in his or their charge from allowing such dog or dogs to accompany such owner or other person or persons elsewhere than on the premises on which such dog or dogs is or are regularly kept. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined not less than $2.00 nor more than $50.00.
(b) This section shall not apply to the running at large of any dog or dogs within the corporate limits of any city or town in this state that requires a license tag to be kept on dogs nor shall this section apply in any county in this state until the same has been adopted by the county commission of such county.
(Acts 1915, No. 185, p. 259; Code 1923, § 3221; Code 1940, T. 3, § 5.)

§ 3-1-4. Permitting dog or hog known to kill, etc., sheep, domestic fowl, etc., to run at large.
Any person, who, owning or having in his possession or under his control any dog or hog known to worry or kill sheep, domestic fowls or goats suffers such dog or hog to run at large must, on conviction, be fined not less than $5.00 nor more than $50.00.
(Code 1876, § 4405; Code 1886, § 4171; Code 1896, § 5591; Code 1907, § 6236; Code 1923, § 3219; Code 1940, T. 3, § 4.)

§ 3-1-3. Liability of owner, etc., permitting vicious or dangerous animal to be at liberty, etc., for injuries caused by same.
When any person owns or keeps a vicious or dangerous animal of any kind and, as a result of his careless management of the same or his allowing the same to go at liberty, and another person, without fault on his part, is injured thereby, such owner or keeper shall be liable in damages for such injury.
(Code 1907, § 2470; Code 1923, § 5678; Code 1940, T. 3, § 3.)

TITLE 3. ANIMAL. CHAPTER 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS.
§3-1-1. Keeping of dog known to kill, etc., stock prohibited; liability of owner for injuries, etc., caused by same; liability for killing of same.

No person shall keep any dog which has been known to kill or worry sheep or other stock without being set upon the same. Any person knowingly keeping such dog is liable for double the value of all stock killed or injured by such dog, such damages to be recovered by the owner of such stock before any court of competent jurisdiction and no action shall be maintained against anyone for killing such dog.
(Code 1867, § 1296; Code 1876, § 1601; Code 1886, § 1379; Code 1896, § 421; Code 1907, § 2832; Code 1923, § 6072; Code 1940, T. 3, § 1.)

I swear I'm going to get my local "dogs at large codes" printed and post them on the edge of my property. I am SO SO SICK of local people letting their dogs run. Electric collars DO NOT work. I'm in the middle of the wide open countryside. One neighbors dog I have chased off and returned to him 5 times in 6 months, and those are the times I SAW him!

I swear I'm going to get my local "dogs at large codes" printed and post them on the edge of my property.  I am SO SO SICK of local people letting their dogs run.  Electric collars DO NOT work.  I'm in the middle of the wide open countryside.  One neighbors dog I have chased off and returned to him 5 times in 6 months, and those are the times I SAW him!

Thank you SOOOOO much for this! Its good to know what my rights are and to have this to send to her! Love that it includes that if she refuses to pay, and I have to take her to small claims, I can make her pay the court cost!!!

I swear I'm going to get my local "dogs at large codes" printed and post them on the edge of my property. I am SO SO SICK of local people letting their dogs run. Electric collars DO NOT work. I'm in the middle of the wide open countryside. One neighbors dog I have chased off and returned to him 5 times in 6 months, and those are the times I SAW him!
The first one is on me - if I know who you are and the dog is able to be returned to you I will politely knock on the door, inform you why I am returning your dog and let you know that said dog is NOT welcome on my property -- after that, any repeat visit will end with said dog either being picked up by Animal Control or being driven to the local shelter to be turned in as a stray, this is provided the dog is caught just "being" on the property -- if the dog is caught actively attacking any of my animals the response will be decidedly different. The way I look at it, if you gave a hoot about your dog the first time would be the last time because you would realize that you needed to keep your dog home where he/she is safe.

She's basically said that since my dogs roam into her yard, she's not going to pay for what her dog did... But my dogs have never damaged or injured anyone... Her dog killed two chickens before I caught it and put it back in her yard and then got back out and tore into my trash and spread garbage all over my yard...

I know,right?! I can't catch this dumb dog. He just runs home and I follow. The guy has a herd of mutts and3 raises mini horses. He'd be ****** if someone elses dog harassed his ponies!

Back
Top Bottom