Nevadans?

The Asian community believes black chickens will give them luck and make or keep them healthy. They are talking about black skinned chickens not the feathering.

Kim - sorry for your loss. I lost 3 baby chicks last year because of an experienced hen didn't know how to raise them. But once she got the hang of things she was great.

chitabug - You have a community here. I'm one of them and so is Sunny, if Sunny is still hatching - I'm not sure though. The darkest color I had was an 8 too and she was show quality at the same time but I lost her this year. I have 2 Marans, cockeral and poulet. She just started laying and her color is a 7 so far. I know they can get darker so I'm hoping she will turn into an 8.

One of the BCM girls I hatched from SunnyDawn last Thankgiving started laying yesterday! Yay! Beautiful!
love.gif

That is a really great color! The BCMs are fun because they do lay the darkest eggs. I have one Golden Cuckoo Marans pullet that lays an unusually dark egg for this color variety of Marans and to top it off, her egg has not lightened up, but gotten darker during her laying cycle! I just hatched a couple of pullet chicks from these eggs in hopes of developing a line of GCMs that consistently lay dark eggs that do not fade.

Molly, I hope some of the chicks from my GCMs produce a nice dark egg for you
big_smile.png

Here are some eggs from this pullet~

That is a really great color! The BCMs are fun because they do lay the darkest eggs. I have one Golden Cuckoo Marans pullet that lays an unusually dark egg for this color variety of Marans and to top it off, her egg has not lightened up, but gotten darker during her laying cycle! I just hatched a couple of pullet chicks from these eggs in hopes of developing a line of GCMs that consistently lay dark eggs that do not fade. Molly, I hope some of the chicks from my GCMs produce a nice dark egg for you :D Here are some eggs from this pullet~
The eggs I hatched from your girls were pretty dark. Can't wait until they lay! Ahhh! They are almost 13 weeks now. ...then I have all the little guys to wait on. :/ They look great and all the boys I got from you are getting huge! The blue ameraucana roo from you is our favorite. He's beautiful and has the best beard ever. He's a keeper for sure. Bitty (not that that is a super masculine name) is getting bigger and really pretty too. I'll have to try to get a picture of him later.

The eggs I hatched from your girls were pretty dark. Can't wait until they lay! Ahhh! They are almost 13 weeks now. ...then I have all the little guys to wait on.
hmm.png
They look great and all the boys I got from you are getting huge! The blue ameraucana roo from you is our favorite. He's beautiful and has the best beard ever. He's a keeper for sure. Bitty (not that that is a super masculine name) is getting bigger and really pretty too. I'll have to try to get a picture of him later.
I can't believe the GCM pullets are 13 weeks old already! Where did the time go?! Their mother's started laying when they were 5 1/2 months old.

Sounds like the BW Ameraucana rooster chick is going to look like his dad. Love those big beards! My favorite LR rooster chick is the BW. He has the bigger beard out of the 3 boys.

I put the bantam buff laced Polish rooster back in with the Polish girls today. Boy is he happy and such a gentleman wooing the girls instead of attacking them! The girls were happy too! Maybe once you get your chickens sorted and the extra boys gone you will be ready for Polish and Silkie eggs
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Don't temp me! Lol. The polish girls are easy to get an okay from the hubby. Ha! Not that he has ever said no on anything. The polish girl we have has always had us wanting more. Hilarious and loud and reminds us of a nosey neighbor always popping in to see what the other girls are doing in the nesting boxes.

The DG got dropped off today so our brand new run area is finally under way and the first two new sheds should be delivered in the next couple weeks. Wahooooo.

chitabug - You have a community here. I'm one of them and so is Sunny, if Sunny is still hatching - I'm not sure though. The darkest color I had was an 8 too and she was show quality at the same time but I lost her this year. I have 2 Marans, cockeral and poulet. She just started laying and her color is a 7 so far. I know they can get darker so I'm hoping she will turn into an 8.

@sherylreno
I am always looking to meet new people, make friends, connections, learning opportunities with others within driving distance. I would welcome the chance to meet and talk about dos and don'ts regarding chickens. I have a hard time with reading material online for extending periods and there is soooooo much here on BYC.

Tonight my babies are sleeping in the coop overnight for the first time and it is terribly exciting. They had an awesome full afternoon to bedtime today as well in the run. Milestones it feels like the first time my daughters slept in a bed alone or when puppies got crate trained. We waited til just as the sun was going down in order to convince them to go in the coop and then closed the door. 10 minutes of chirping and then they settled in and quieted down. I hadn't realized how much anxiety this day would cause me. :)

Don't temp me! Lol. The polish girls are easy to get an okay from the hubby. Ha! Not that he has ever said no on anything. The polish girl we have has always had us wanting more. Hilarious and loud and reminds us of a nosey neighbor always popping in to see what the other girls are doing in the nesting boxes.

The DG got dropped off today so our brand new run area is finally under way and the first two new sheds should be delivered in the next couple weeks. Wahooooo.
My Polish girls are super noisy and nosey too! Too cute!

Your going to have to post pictures of your new chicken set up when you get done!
pop.gif
Sounds great!!

@sherylreno
I am always looking to meet new people, make friends, connections, learning opportunities with others within driving distance. I would welcome the chance to meet and talk about dos and don'ts regarding chickens. I have a hard time with reading material online for extending periods and there is soooooo much here on BYC.

Tonight my babies are sleeping in the coop overnight for the first time and it is terribly exciting. They had an awesome full afternoon to bedtime today as well in the run. Milestones it feels like the first time my daughters slept in a bed alone or when puppies got crate trained. We waited til just as the sun was going down in order to convince them to go in the coop and then closed the door. 10 minutes of chirping and then they settled in and quieted down. I hadn't realized how much anxiety this day would cause me.
smile.png

Yup. When my chickens first went out into the big, bad coop, I was absolutely petrified. But they survived! Don't stress. At least your girls are in good hands.

@sherylreno

Tonight my babies are sleeping in the coop overnight for the first time and it is terribly exciting. They had an awesome full afternoon to bedtime today as well in the run. Milestones it feels like the first time my daughters slept in a bed alone or when puppies got crate trained. We waited til just as the sun was going down in order to convince them to go in the coop and then closed the door. 10 minutes of chirping and then they settled in and quieted down. I hadn't realized how much anxiety this day would cause me.
smile.png

That's great to hear. You shouldn't have anymore issues with them going to bed but sometimes it does take up to a week for it to really happen. Have patience is always best with chickens.

I always enjoy meeting people too, anytime you want to get-together just let me know. I'm home full time now so anytime is good for me.

I have some bad news today. I couldn't figure out why Alberto kept crowing and crowing and crowing this morning. He usually crows when he wants more food, water or one of his girls is in the coop laying an egg. I didn't check the coop until 8:15 this morning and noticed my Monique had passed away. She was about 5 years old and was my oldest chicken. She didn't have any marks on her at all. Everything looked good last night when I closed the coop but after examining her, I did notice her crop was still full from last night when she went to bed so it told me she passed away during the night. No other marks or injuries. Boy she had a great life and she was a great chicken. I'm so very happy I'm hatching some of her eggs next week.

That's great to hear. You shouldn't have anymore issues with them going to bed but sometimes it does take up to a week for it to really happen. Have patience is always best with chickens.

I always enjoy meeting people too, anytime you want to get-together just let me know. I'm home full time now so anytime is good for me.

I have some bad news today. I couldn't figure out why Alberto kept crowing and crowing and crowing this morning. He usually crows when he wants more food, water or one of his girls is in the coop laying an egg. I didn't check the coop until 8:15 this morning and noticed my Monique had passed away. She was about 5 years old and was my oldest chicken. She didn't have any marks on her at all. Everything looked good last night when I closed the coop but after examining her, I did notice her crop was still full from last night when she went to bed so it told me she passed away during the night. No other marks or injuries. Boy she had a great life and she was a great chicken. I'm so very happy I'm hatching some of her eggs next week.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom