New coop build

JenandDave

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Northwest USA
Starting construction on a new coop. A few things I wanted to make sure of.

Tall- I wanted it tall enough to be able to walk into for maintenance/cleaning.

Access- A full size door into both the coop and the run.

Spacious- wanted it big enough for my new hens to enjoy and not be crowded.

Predator resistant- waking up to dead chickens is heartbreaking.

0C914CE8-0FBD-4AD5-A904-AD2F3BF2B9C9.jpeg

Here’s how it started. The coop floor will be a concrete slab. It will be covered in pine shavings to keep feet warm but won’t allow critters to dig under the coop. This section will be 6’x8’. The run will be 10’x8’ for lots of room for activities! This section will be surrounded by a concrete curb. After concrete the entire thing will be framed as one complete structure.

FD455ADC-459A-4388-BAC5-C99F2CDECAB3.jpeg

7B1C5777-4D12-45DC-B631-67426477C7E7.jpeg

Marking it out.

13986F79-4761-472C-9034-B915BFFB3A4C.jpeg
49EA46D2-E895-4584-9D29-438C4BCF40A0.jpeg

Dug down 6” and filled with gravel, then compacted. Hoping this keeps critters from digging under.

Next step is to build the forms for concrete. I’ll be using 2”x4” for the forms. More pics to follow. I have six chicks arriving the week of the 24th. Six weeks in the brooder after that gives me about two months to have the coop completed.

Attachments

• 984A3126-FCBA-4CF4-A916-C8EBE19354A8.jpeg
    984A3126-FCBA-4CF4-A916-C8EBE19354A8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Spacious- wanted it big enough for my new hens to enjoy and not be crowded.
How many hens will you have?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1681047934984.png

How many hens will you have?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3461140
Six hens and a mystery chick coming from MM. They say the mystery chick is unsexed but it appears from what many people say that they are mostly roosters. So six or possibly seven if the mystery chick is a pullet.

Looking good. Even with the 6" of gravel for the base of the run, I'd still put a predator apron around the run.
I think that’s a good idea. I was planning on planting some shrubs around the outside of the run already. I’ll dig it out, put in the apron and then plant some fun, chicken friendly things around the run. Have to dig to plant things anyway!

Will the run covering be a solid roof? You are probably doing this anyway but if it is solid it needs to slope so rainwater runs off of it.

I'd move the run door so the hinge side is supported by the coop framing/wall. That should help stabilize it so you don't get sag at the side that supports the weight.

That looks great, I have to work to come up with any comments.

Will the run covering be a solid roof? You are probably doing this anyway but if it is solid it needs to slope so rainwater runs off of it.

I'd move the run door so the hinge side is supported by the coop framing/wall. That should help stabilize it so you don't get sag at the side that supports the weight.

That looks great, I have to work to come up with any comments.
Yes, solid roof. Front wall will be 8’ tall and back wall 6’. Gives me a 3/12 pitch. The front wall will be framed as one complete wall that runs 16’ long. Both door openings will be framed with king studs, trim studs and headers with cripples above headers. Supporting a door will not be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom