New coop build

@Ridgerunner, @3KillerBs

Thank you for the info and links. It helps a lot. Here’s what I’m thinking. What if I use 1/4” hardware cloth between all the rafters in the coop instead of solid blocking, then put up a facia board but leave soffits open? Keep in mind I will have a 24” overhang both front and back. It seems that would provide tons of constant ventilation. The facia boards would serve two purposes, blocking the majority of direct wind while not impeding ventilation and also keeping any blowing rain/snow from entering the coop. The back wall will be 6’ tall so I figure if the top roosting bar is no more than 4’-4.5’ off the floor that would provide the hens with enough clearance over their heads to avoid drafts. Thoughts?

Yes, that would work well.

But use 1/2" hardware cloth. 1/4" is made from thinner wire that is easier for predators to tear through.

Starting construction on a new coop. A few things I wanted to make sure of.

Tall- I wanted it tall enough to be able to walk into for maintenance/cleaning.

Access- A full size door into both the coop and the run.

Spacious- wanted it big enough for my new hens to enjoy and not be crowded.

Predator resistant- waking up to dead chickens is heartbreaking.

View attachment 3459949
Here’s how it started. The coop floor will be a concrete slab. It will be covered in pine shavings to keep feet warm but won’t allow critters to dig under the coop. This section will be 6’x8’. The run will be 10’x8’ for lots of room for activities! This section will be surrounded by a concrete curb. After concrete the entire thing will be framed as one complete structure.

View attachment 3459952
View attachment 3459953
Marking it out.

View attachment 3459975View attachment 3459976
Dug down 6” and filled with gravel, then compacted. Hoping this keeps critters from digging under.

Next step is to build the forms for concrete. I’ll be using 2”x4” for the forms. More pics to follow. I have six chicks arriving the week of the 24th. Six weeks in the brooder after that gives me about two months to have the coop completed.
Does this meet set-back for your area?

As long I’m 5 feet from the rear property line and 25 feet from the neighbors homes on either side I’m good. I have a large lot (1/3 acre) with the majority being back yard. Works out nicely!

Nice!

I had a loophole for my in-town flock in that "temporary" or "portable" structures didn't have to obey setbacks. My Little Monitor Coop has carrying loops built into it (slide a pair of 2x4s through them and it can be carried by 4 men), and the original attached run was designed to be detached and slid aside for cleaning (this didn't actually work, but it did meet code).

Made some progress on the coop today. Got all the concrete poured. What a job! 37 bags of concrete total.

Put remesh down for the slab and a single stick of rebar running through the curb.
BAE61264-0E0F-4FC0-A186-AC037CC3FADB.jpeg
EFDEFB3C-9FFC-40D7-A79C-A4A902A5A00B.jpeg

Got the concrete poured!
4DE37A61-C6CC-4040-89D1-D288EDA437CB.jpeg

Brooder is set up and the chicks will be here next week!! Super excited!!

IMG_2235.jpeg
IMG_2241.jpeg
IMG_2236.jpeg
Took the forms off. I’m very happy with how it turned out. Not too bad for a schmuck with no concrete experience! Now all I have to do is frame the coop/run, side the coop, put a roof on it, hardware cloth the run and soffits, put a predator apron around it, oh yeah, build roosts, poop board, toys in run, feeder and waterer……..six to eight weeks and counting…..I’ve got this!

Of course the dogs had to customize it a bit!
IMG_2239.jpeg
IMG_2242.jpeg

I love those dog tracks!

Back
Top Bottom