New coop build

Good luck with your build. You've obviously put a lot of thought into it.

Do you have any ventilation plans other than the one window in the middle of the wall?

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation
It’s something I’ve been thinking about. I was thinking of doing hardware cloth in between two of the rafters, on the front wall (highest point) instead of solid blocking. Then I worry too much heat will escape in the winter. Then I thought maybe I could use a heat register cover, like for a floor vent, so it would be adjustable. Not sure if that makes sense here, but I can see it my head. Very long winded way to say yes, I will put in some ventilation but haven’t quite nailed it down yet.

It’s something I’ve been thinking about. I was thinking of doing hardware cloth in between two of the rafters, on the front wall (highest point) instead of solid blocking. Then I worry too much heat will escape in the winter. Then I thought maybe I could use a heat register cover, like for a floor vent, so it would be adjustable. Not sure if that makes sense here, but I can see it my head. Very long winded way to say yes, I will put in some ventilation but haven’t quite nailed it down yet.

You don't need to worry about keeping heat in. In fact, by cutting off ventilation attempts to keep heat in become counter-productive since an ill-ventilated coop gets damp and dampness promotes frostbite?

Keep the chickens dry and out of the wind and their built-in down parkas will keep them warm down to 0F and below.

What are your usual winter lows? Do you get severe blizzards with high winds?

I'm in a warm climate myself, but I could tag some people with experience in severe winter areas once I know how severe your winter is. :)

You don't need to worry about keeping heat in. In fact, by cutting off ventilation attempts to keep heat in become counter-productive since an ill-ventilated coop gets damp and dampness promotes frostbite?

Keep the chickens dry and out of the wind and their built-in down parkas will keep them warm down to 0F and below.

What are your usual winter lows? Do you get severe blizzards with high winds?

I'm in a warm climate myself, but I could tag some people with experience in severe winter areas once I know how severe your winter is. :)
Not super severe, but we do get snow and blowing wind. Zero degree temps are not common but happen a few times a year.

Not super severe, but we do get snow and blowing wind. Zero degree temps are not common but happen a few times a year.

That's not terribly cold then. I've had my birds do just fine in my open air coop down to 10F this winter (unusual cold for my area). 10F in Central North Carolina in an Open Air Coop

Make sure that your roosting area is well-protected from drafts and that they have excellent ventilation above their heads to remove the moisture from their breath and their poop and your birds should be fine. The ventilation article I linked has information about arranging vents so that the coop is draft-free.

You can page back through the forums to see what people were doing this past winter in order to cope. :)

That's not terribly cold then. I've had my birds do just fine in my open air coop down to 10F this winter (unusual cold for my area). 10F in Central North Carolina in an Open Air Coop

Make sure that your roosting area is well-protected from drafts and that they have excellent ventilation above their heads to remove the moisture from their breath and their poop and your birds should be fine. The ventilation article I linked has information about arranging vents so that the coop is draft-free.

You can page back through the forums to see what people were doing this past winter in order to cope. :)
Awesome! Thank you!

When I was in Arkansas the coldest I saw was -8 F. The chickens were sleeping on the roosts in a well-ventilated coop and had no problems. I had ventilation on all four walls, that ventilation was over their heads so any wind went over them. The window at their level was closed.

I opened the pop door every morning and let them choose if they wanted to go outside or not. With temperatures below zero Fahrenheit if the wind was calm they went outside. Even if it was warmer but still "cold" with a cold breeze blowing they stayed inside. The problem is not the cold, they problem is a cold wind that ruffles their feathers and lets the warm air in their down and feathers escape.

@Ridgerunner, @3KillerBs

Thank you for the info and links. It helps a lot. Here’s what I’m thinking. What if I use 1/4” hardware cloth between all the rafters in the coop instead of solid blocking, then put up a facia board but leave soffits open? Keep in mind I will have a 24” overhang both front and back. It seems that would provide tons of constant ventilation. The facia boards would serve two purposes, blocking the majority of direct wind while not impeding ventilation and also keeping any blowing rain/snow from entering the coop. The back wall will be 6’ tall so I figure if the top roosting bar is no more than 4’-4.5’ off the floor that would provide the hens with enough clearance over their heads to avoid drafts. Thoughts?

What if I use 1/4” hardware cloth between all the rafters in the coop instead of solid blocking, then put up a facia board but leave soffits open? Keep in mind I will have a 24” overhang both front and back. It seems that would provide tons of constant ventilation. The facia boards would serve two purposes, blocking the majority of direct wind while not impeding ventilation and also keeping any blowing rain/snow from entering the coop. The back wall will be 6’ tall so I figure if the top roosting bar is no more than 4’-4.5’ off the floor that would provide the hens with enough clearance over their heads to avoid drafts. Thoughts?
Sounds like a great design, one I recommend.
You can put the HC on the outside instead of between the rafters:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/coop-eaves-2-jpg.1353557/

Back
Top Bottom