10F in Central North Carolina in an Open Air Coop

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
When I took the water out just before dawn I had a good look at everyone.

They're fine. I inspected Rameses' comb carefully and there is no sign of frostbite. He wouldn't pose for a picture though. :D

Victoria had the sense to get down off the rafters away from the upper vent and sleep with the juveniles, but Maria Theresa stayed up there and is, nonetheless, perfectly fine. She did move a little further from the vent, at least (the two SLWs normally sleep at the base of the rafter right against the vent).

I double-checked yesterday in the high wind and the roosting area is still quite draft-free in the current setup -- which I'd actually prepared because of Hurricane Ian.

IMG_20221224_064720114.jpg
IMG_20221224_064729129.jpg
IMG_20221224_064739748.jpg
IMG_20221224_064753542.jpg
IMG_20221224_064807401.jpg

Wind is wind. You did a great job on that coop.

Thanks.

There are a couple things I would change if I were duplicating it -- such as having a door on the uphill side to throw bedding in as well as the downhill and side doors -- but thanks to all the good design advice here it's worked out very well.

I realized when I was drawing ventilation diagrams that it's sort of an inside-out Woods Coop but with more wire and less wall.

I'm off work and waiting at church during worship rehearsal. DH changed out the waterer before he left home so they *should* have liquid water most of the afternoon at least.

He says that they got out -- which isn't surprising because the current batch of chicks are amazing escape artists -- and are free-ranging so I'm sure they'll find nice places to hang out in the sun and that they'll go to roost when it gets dark (I won't be home until long after dark tonight).

Back
Top Bottom