New Mexico

Are you asking for breeds that do well in the cold? Because if you are it would be best to select large bodied breeds with small combs and thick plumage. Chantecler and Buckeyes are two examples of cold adapted breeds. But to be honest most breeds should do fine in Los Alamos unless you decide to go with a South American or other tropical adapted breed (which to be quite frank aren't going to be as readily available in the US).
Thank you, yes I chose based on a mix of being able to withstand winters and being friendly. Leaning toward friendly as most important while avoiding more delicate birds! However, we have chicken friends up here who do well with silkies so I guess we needn’t have worried!

Hello Everyone!
I live in Albuquerque and have a chicken obsession. I have silkies, Millie’s, and Cochins (both sizes). I am having trouble finding standard Cochins that are not hatchery birds. If anyone knows a breeder please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!

Hello everyone, we finally got our coop and run ready and have a flock of 5. We got them at Quality Baits. They had a great selection when we went there in July. They are not letting folks see the birds. They just bring them out to you, from what you select. Thank you!

I have been wondering how do you guys in NM keep their water from freezing in winter. I don't have electrical where their coop is. Will need to run one from the house but will be a long cord. I know its far, but I am wondering how can I prepare?

Hello everyone, we finally got our coop and run ready and have a flock of 5. We got them at Quality Baits. They had a great selection when we went there in July. They are not letting folks see the birds. They just bring them out to you, from what you select. Thank you!

I have been wondering how do you guys in NM keep their water from freezing in winter. I don't have electrical where their coop is. Will need to run one from the house but will be a long cord. I know its far, but I am wondering how can I prepare?
I found it is a lot easier not to keep water out at night since the birds are asleep and not drinking and water will freeze solid over night. Years ago, our days were a lot colder and at first I was hauling up warm water every few hours to replace what had frozen. This got tiresome, so I purchased heated dog water dishes. However over the past 2 or 3 years, I have only turned them on once or twice during the winter season, our days just aren't staying as cold. You can also purchase heated chicken waterers, either on line, or possibly TSC has them.

All this said, my coop is directly on the ground in contact with the earth and the floor tends to hold in heat. So when I fill waterers first thing in the morning with warm water, rarely do they freeze during the day anymore. Hope this helps and good luck! :)

Last edited:
I found it is a lot easier not to keep water out at night since the birds are asleep and not drinking and water will freeze solid over night. Years ago, our days were a lot colder and at first I was hauling up warm water every few hours to replace what had frozen. This got tiresome, so I purchased heated dog water dishes. However over the past 2 or 3 years, I have only turned them on once or twice during the winter season, our days just aren't staying as cold. You can also purchase heated chicken waterers, either on line, or possibly TSC has them.

All this said, my coop is directly on the ground in contact with the earth and the floor tends to hold in heat. So when I fill waterers first thing in the morning with warm water, rarely do they freeze during the day anymore. Hope this helps and good luck! :)
Yeah, I was thinking of making an insulated cozy for their waterer, may be I can fill it with hot water in the morning. I know we definitely need to come up with something at least for dec-feb.

Right now, I do leave a small waterer in their coop at night, no food though.

I think my BO might be a rooster, what do you all think?

Attachments

• IMG_20200713_091625.jpg
    IMG_20200713_091625.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 10
Yeah, I was thinking of making an insulated cozy for their waterer, may be I can fill it with hot water in the morning. I know we definitely need to come up with something at least for dec-feb.

Right now, I do leave a small waterer in their coop at night, no food though.
A cozy would work! What ever it takes to keep water liquid. :D

Back
Top Bottom