New Neighbors = pit bull = dead chickens

Quote:
I have a four year old. He is the light of my life, along with his little brother. I can't even begin to imagine what I would want to do to the owners of those dogs if I were the parents. I'm pretty sure I'd end up in jail for a long, long time if I got caught actually doing it, though.

One documented act of aggression is all it should take -- one strike, you're out. There are too many good dogs needing homes for people to be expected to put up with vicious dogs.

Last edited:
Kind of ironic as I am following this post. Yesterday I looked out and saw 2 female labs that obviously had pups some where. They were on the road in front of my house so I tried to scare tehm off back to where ever they belonged. Well next thing I know I see them acting like they are going to try to get in near where our goats and chickens are. I go get the trusty "PAINT BALL GUN". By the time I get back out side they are right in front of the house and one of the dogs came right up at the fence in an aggressive manner. I laid the FLOURESCENT PINK paint to her and changed her mind real quick. The nice thing about the paint is it stings but won't do any harm but when that dog gets home the owner will know it was somewhere it was not wanted. Due to the aggressive manner this was my only warning to these dogs. If they show up again and get on my property it will be time for a lead injection followed by a dirt nap. I can't take a chance with these dogs getting my disabled wife or her "Mini Aussie", or any thing else.

My daughter was attacked by a dog and at 20 y/o still has the scars on her face to prove it. The dogs owners just couldnt understand why we were so upset! (we never did get an apology). Right now I'm dealing with someones chiuahua (sp) trying to get into my yard. The little bugger is fast so I havent been able to catch it so I am setting live/humane traps and will be rehoming said little dog. If I can figure out who owns him we will be having a discussion on how to properly contain your animals! This little thing runs all over and I havent been able to locate his owner... I am really sorry you have had to go through this heres a ((HUG)).

Just seeing this thread and couldn't read through the whole thing - please forgive any duplication.

As I often do, I feel the need to speak up for the chickens and the notion that they can simply be replaced. I think if we were to ask any of the ones who died how they feel about this, they would beg to differ. They are just as unique and just as desirous of living as we are.

People who choose to own predators as pets MUST control them at all times. Period. This message is only very slowly spreading across the land and it is our responsibility to honor fallen birds by ensuring that dog owners get this message loud and clear and that they pay maximum amount of dollars when their dogs kill or maim another's pets or livestock. Dollars do not begin to mitigate for a life lost, or a life that has to suffer a lot on its way to healing, but it signifies that what happened is not trivial.

I'm not saying this has to be done shrilly or with foaming-at-the-mouth anger, but it must be done firmly and resolutely (not "would you consider contributing to more birds"). Anything else is an extreme injustice to the birds that were injured or died most likely in agony after being terrorized beyond anything most of us have ever had to endure. They need us to be their voice. I do not place "neighbor relations" above this solemn responsibility to innocent defenseless beings in my care.

The dog-killed-my-chickens incidences are chillingly epidemic.

JJ

I dont know where you live, but where we are, if that happens, especially with a dog, it will happen again. There is but one solution for that problem. Its generally understood that if a dog kills livestock, then the dog gets shot...end of story.

This is one of the worst thing I have heard. So sorry for your loss. Hope your boy is OK.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree 100% - and it's so sad on all accounts for everybody involved.

I for one won't make take any extra precautions to keep somebody elses animal off our farm. We had some new neighbors move in a few years ago and first thing you know a dog is running around. I started seeing it down by the street then coming into the field in front of our house, then finally one day I saw it in our front yard. I went right over there and talked to them and nicely explained the next time their dog came on our farm it wouldn't be back. They said "I can't control it, it jumps the fence". I said no problem.... I can, and turned and left. haven't seen the dog since. But for some reason they don't wave anymore....wonder why?

Steve in NC

I am so sorry for your losses! This must be really hard on your son. To lose a whole flock like that...one or two would get me crying, but a whole flock? On the upside, now you will be prepared for next time; I say next time because those dogs WILL be back. Unless they are fenced, which the owners don't seem to be inclined to do, make sure your fence is dogproof. If that had been at my place, and the dog had come back as a repeat offender and was caught, my dad would've done a SS&S deal there. No more problem. It is tough, but such is farm life. Again, sorry for your loss.

Quote:
In all honesty, the dog's owner may be asked to do the shooting. A lot of city pet owners fail to understand this, but country people know it's a fact of life and life is hard sometimes (actually, a lot of the times)

I live in a suburb of Boston and I am within my rights to shoot any dog that is attacking my birds...period.

All I have is a pellet gun but I can and WILL use it.

And it's always the same darn dog...a lazy neighbour's German Shorthaired Pointer. Their idea of walking it is to open the door and let it out. Let it terrorize the neighbourhood (One person offered to fill him full of lead if it got another one of his steaks off the grill) for a couple of hours, then drive up and down the street honking the horn until the dog jumps in...

This is my motto:
"If your dog is being walked on a leash, it's a pet, but if it's in my yard loose, it's a predator and will be dealt with as such."

At work I was slobbered on by a "pit" puppy and bitten by a dachshund...

Back
Top Bottom