New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Pics
Thank you. I looked at the measurements for your design at the beginning of this thread and pared it down from there. Except when I actually built mine I goofed and made the middle partition extend all the way to the back, and only realized after the glue had dried (oops!). Still works though, thank you for creating it. :)

I wonder how many people have been able to use this thread to build nest boxes.  I wish that I had kept an accurate count of the number of people that I have sent the two nest box plans to.  I'm pretty sure it's way over 200. 

You sent me the two box plan. I initially thought about building two and stacking them. But went with the six box instead. Someone likes the upper level, but most fight for the lower ones. I built a ladder to encourage the big ones to try the upper level too.

I used your idea to start on my boxes tonight, I am building a 6 nest box and have it in an opening I framed into the outside wall of my coop however I changed the setup around and am having the eggs roll forward because I decided I didn't want to have the collection area outside due to cold winters here certainly freezing every egg. I used your basic design and the angle you used for the floor as well as the 24 inch "ramp" then modified it into a forward rollout. Hopefully have it finished next weekend if not sooner.

I used your idea to start on my boxes tonight, I am building a 6 nest box and have it in an opening I framed into the outside wall of my coop however I changed the setup around and am having the eggs roll forward because I decided I didn't want to have the collection area outside due to cold winters here certainly freezing every egg. I used your basic design and the angle you used for the floor as well as the 24 inch "ramp" then modified it into a forward rollout. Hopefully have it finished next weekend if not sooner.

Great. I'm glad this thread can provide people with the inspiration to make their own nest boxes. With the reversal of the rollout direction, I would suggest the you put a flat cover over the egg collection area that will keep the eggs clean and serve as a roost

Thanks to Opa for this wonderful and informative thread to help us build our roll-out nest box! We drew our own plans to fit our coop and built it in one weekend. The planning and research took longer than the build, but it was all worth it. Our chickens have 2 months to get used to this new addition until they are ready to lay eggs. Hope it works.

As I collected eggs today I again saw the effectiveness of a rollout nest box. All of the eggs were in the tray, none in the nest boxes, and all were clean and unbroken.

We have 2 dozen hens with some egg-eating problems. Maybe your redesigned, "pull-back-proof" next box may be what we need.

We now have just 4 plain, flat-bottom boxes, often see them packed with 2, even 3 hens inside --- and wonder how many boxes a flock the size of ours SHOULD have.

Our boxes are all wood, with no metal bottoms, let alone plastic bottoms that "won't corrode or rust." We also don't have any new plastic "sanitary perches."

"Money is no object" doesn't apply to us. If you do make & ship your re-designed roll-outs, please tell us what you have to charge and how much you add to ship to northern New York.

TIA!
Rondack

A 6 nest box would be more than adequate for your flock. I do not manufacture the nest boxes for sale. The purpose of this thread was DYI so that a rollout box could be made as inexpensively as possible.

Back
Top Bottom