New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Pics
There is a picture of two 5 gallon buckets made into roll out nest boxes. The buckets are not inside the coop, but attached somehow and sticking out of the wall, so you can collect the eggs from outside and the buckets don"t take up room inside the coop. Thanks. Getting chicken today :)

Just realized it was someone who responded to one of your posts. Maybe he is still around. i will check. Thanks. This was the post.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/287684/new-rollout-nest-design-picture-heavy-edited-1-21/190

I'm still kickin around.

I looked on my comp and can't find any pics. It'll be a day or 7 before I can get some pics. We're actually getting some rain and we have a vacation planned, but when things clear up I'll see what I can do.

I do know that on the inside of the coop, there are two 2x4's attached to the plywood. Then I just used wood screws to drill through the bucket and into the 2x4's. The 2x4's are maybe 12" long, and cut to match the radius of the bucket.

Just make sure that the bucket has the same downward angle as Opa's nest boxes.

BTW, I ended up extending the box about 6". That kept the chickens from reaching the eggs.

If you have more questions just ask and I'll work on getting pics.

Cheers,

Hello all especially Opa. I am located in the Caribbean in the beautiful Turks and Caicos Island and have been raising layers in my backyard for just about two years now. I am also plague the the egg eating issue and has not been able to shake it. I have searched high and low for plans to build a roll out nest box and has come across this forum. I got so excited today that i went out and bought the lumber and started cutting them up as im in the process of building a new coop.
I'm sure that this will be the solution to my problem and I can't thank you enough for your generosity in developing this idea and sharing it freely with the world at large. I will be sure to show it of when I'm done making mines and spread the good news. :D :D:D:D:D:D

Hello Everyone! What an awesome site for planning my ever expanding chicken coops! :p

Opa would you be able to email me your 2 nest rollaway box plan please and thank you :)
My email is [email protected]

I have plans for a smaller coop that it would be perfect for I think and the 6 box one looks great for our big flock of ladies!

Cheers
Jen

Building a front rollout nest box is doable but it would require a lidded egg collection box that would also serve as a perch. Also it would have to be quite deep to accommodate the ramp and clearance for eggs. I'm confident that I could make one but it would require some time and expense that I currently wouldn't want to undertake. Sorry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom