New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Pics
Thank you.
I've replanned where I'm going to put the nest box array and will be using the standard rear rollout after all.

One other design question though... what method/tool did you use to add the slots to the egg ramp platform to fit around the partitions?

Last edited:
I have been having issues with egg eating, so I decided to rebuild my nest boxes into the roll out design. I installed the two hole box in the same location of the last one On Tuesday. Right now I just have drawer liner with some shavings sprinkled on it.

I had two lay in the box on Tuesday and one on Wednesday. Yesterday I found evidence of an eaten egg in the floor corner. I ordered nesting pads from Cutler on Tuesday, but still waiting on a ship date.

Will the new nest pads make a difference? Anything else I should try to get them back in the boxes?

I made the six box design and it was working great - but I think I messed up on the plywood. I must have used interior rather than exterior because it delaminated and grew fungus.
he.gif

So I will be working soon to repair it and use the right materials next time. Now that I have a portable drill and circular saw that are rechargeable and light weight I don't mind the construction as much.

My girls have mostly used the upper boxes and sometimes a few girls will trying laying in one box at the same time. Occasionally I will find an egg in the lower ones but that is rare.

I have found only one drawback - when the girls go broody they will still hang out in the nest boxes and if they are hatching eggs it becomes a challenge to keep their eggs from breaking or rolling away. Last time two girls went broody I ended up giving them day old chicks - which was also a challenge because the chicks would slip under the back and get away from their warm momma. But I blocked the back for a few days while they actually hung out in the nest boxes until they moved their broods to the floor. Otherwise I love the roll out feature.

I made the six box design and it was working great - but I think I messed up on the plywood. I must have used interior rather than exterior because it delaminated and grew fungus. :he So I will be working soon to repair it and use the right materials next time. Now that I have a portable drill and circular saw that are rechargeable and light weight I don't mind the construction as much. My girls have mostly used the upper boxes and sometimes a few girls will trying laying in one box at the same time. Occasionally I will find an egg in the lower ones but that is rare. I have found only one drawback - when the girls go broody they will still hang out in the nest boxes and if they are hatching eggs it becomes a challenge to keep their eggs from breaking or rolling away. Last time two girls went broody I ended up giving them day old chicks - which was also a challenge because the chicks would slip under the back and get away from their warm momma. But I blocked the back for a few days while they actually hung out in the nest boxes until they moved their broods to the floor. Otherwise I love the roll out feature.
I made a little modification on my ramp support so I could remove the ramp altogether for broodies. Maybe you could modify yours by substituting a small wedge shaped ramp support across the middle, then drill small holes in the side walls at the ends of the ramps to pin them up/down securely. I agree, this is an awesome design Opa made.

I made a little modification on my ramp support so I could remove the ramp altogether for broodies. Maybe you could modify yours by substituting a small wedge shaped ramp support across the middle, then drill small holes in the side walls at the ends of the ramps to pin them up/down securely. I agree, this is an awesome design Opa made.

Do you have a picture of your modification? It sounds like a great idea.

I'm thinking about making the bottom open to the back only and use it for storage since they don't like to use the lower boxes.

Do you have a picture of your modification? It sounds like a great idea.

I'm thinking about making the bottom open to the back only and use it for storage since they don't like to use the lower boxes.

It's here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...t-box-with-room-for-trap-later-prototype-only
I will hopefully be building the actual working models this winter.
As far as the pivot piece, where I'm using a rod of some sort, if you didn't want to drill holes in the sides for the rod to slide through, on yours you could take out the two side ramp wedges for each ramp and put a piece of 1x2" or 2x2" crossways in the middle. You'd have to secure it somehow to keep it from slipping. Or you could also put in a narrower ramp so it's not resting on the side supports, with the crossways piece. If you did that tho, it would leave a gap either side of the ramp that I would cover by useing a wider piece of Astro-turf to compensate for. Not likely that they'd get toes stuck, but better safe.....

It's here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...t-box-with-room-for-trap-later-prototype-only
I will hopefully be building the actual working models this winter.
As far as the pivot piece, where I'm using a rod of some sort, if you didn't want to drill holes in the sides for the rod to slide through, on yours you could take out the two side ramp wedges for each ramp and put a piece of 1x2" or 2x2" crossways in the middle. You'd have to secure it somehow to keep it from slipping. Or you could also put in a narrower ramp so it's not resting on the side supports, with the crossways piece. If you did that tho, it would leave a gap either side of the ramp that I would cover by useing a wider piece of Astro-turf to compensate for. Not likely that they'd get toes stuck, but better safe.....

Wow, great idea. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom