New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Thank you for sharing this. I need to know what the material is that you used as the "mat" of the nesting box. I am not sure if a scrub jay or one of my hens are getting to the eggs so I am planning to make this. When I go looking for the mat material what do I look for. Thanks.

I use these nesting pads I got from QC Supply because they do a 12"x13" version.

With some trial and error I ended up going for an almost flat configuration. The incline is very slight. You can place an egg on the nesting pad and it won't roll, but the momentum of the drop and any chicken interaction means eggs always end up in the astro turf compartment below.

These pads have been in use for a while now, and they're great. Haven't needed to clean them yet, but that would be easy.

The pads are wide enough so that my chickens can continue their habit of cramming more than one chicken into one nesting box. I do get the odd egg laid outside of nesting box one when 2 chickens are crammed into it. I'm considering one long communal nesting box as future idea to avoid this.

2 other thoughts:
RFID tags for chickens to track time spent in nesting boxes and identify layer.
Weight sensor to confirm egg laid.

Last edited:
I don't suppose you still have this SketchUp file?

I thought I might post the SketchUp drawings I made based on Opa's design to build my 2-box rollout nest. I based it off 24"x24" plywood project panels. I think my incline might be a little steeper but it's worked beautifully. I also trimmed mine out with 1x2's (not shown in drawing) to make the edges neat.

Any chance I could get the plans emailed to me. I'm expecting my first flock to start laying at any time and would like to have an roll away to make it easier for my daughter to pick her eggs. She is really excited and checks the coop 3 times a day.

A couple of weeks ago my chickens started eating their eggs. I have tried placing ceramic eggs into their nesting boxes and collecting the real ones more often, but they just kicked the ceramic ones to the back of the nest boxes or out of them completely and started eating the real ones faster.

So I built some roll-away boxes, thinking if they can't get to the eggs they can't eat them. I even waited to install the boxes until I cleaned their coop and changed out their bedding thinking the overall change might decrease the chance of them noticing the new boxes, but they won't go near them, Instead they lay on the coop floor and are still eating their eggs (they're too smart for their own good!).

Today I leveled the nesting floor* and put the cleaned ceramic eggs in them hoping this might entice them to start laying in the boxes. I will re-position the floors so the eggs will roll away once they start laying in the new boxes, IF they do start using them.

Can anyone else think of any ways to inspire my birds to start using the new boxes? This is their last chance. If I cannot find a way to stop the egg eating I will have no choice but to cull the entire flock (ten good laying hens) and start all over. I don't know how to 'dress' a chicken, do not want to, and no one in my area will do it for me either for love or money. Since no one is likely to want an egg eating hen, that doesn't leave me with many choices.

Someone please help, I don't have a lot or rope left...

*(I designed the nesting box so the floor could be positioned either at a slant so the eggs would roll away, or flat so they wouldn't; that way a broody hen could hatch them.)

A couple of weeks ago my chickens started eating their eggs. I have tried placing ceramic eggs into their nesting boxes and collecting the real ones more often, but they just kicked the ceramic ones to the back of the nest boxes or out of them completely and started eating the real ones faster.

So I built some roll-away boxes, thinking if they can't get to the eggs they can't eat them. I even waited to install the boxes until I cleaned their coop and changed out their bedding thinking the overall change might decrease the chance of them noticing the new boxes, but they won't go near them, Instead they lay on the coop floor and are still eating their eggs (they're too smart for their own good!).

Today I leveled the nesting floor*
and put the cleaned ceramic eggs in them hoping this might entice them to start laying in the boxes. I will re-position the floors so the eggs will roll away once they start laying in the new boxes, IF they do start using them.

Can anyone else think of any ways to inspire my birds to start using the new boxes? This is their last chance. If I cannot find a way to stop the egg eating I will have no choice but to cull the entire flock (ten good laying hens) and start all over. I don't know how to 'dress' a chicken, do not want to, and no one in my area will do it for me either for love or money. Since no one is likely to want an egg eating hen, that doesn't leave me with many choices.

Someone please help, I don't have a lot or rope left...

I like your idea about leveling the floor to get them started, I have been trying to figure out how I will train my not yet laying hens in the soon to be built roll out boxes. Keep us informed on how it goes.

Gary

*(I designed the nesting box so the floor could be positioned either at a slant so the eggs would roll away, or flat so they wouldn't; that way a broody hen could hatch them.)

I like your idea about leveling the floor to get them started, I have been trying to figure out how I will train my not yet laying hens in the soon to be built roll out boxes. Keep us informed on how it goes.

Gary
So far no change, but it's only been a day. Thinking the Astro-turf could also be the problem I removed the pad from one of the boxes, leaving the wood bare, and therefore more like their old boxes.

In case this doesn't work, does anyone know of a good video/monitor system I might be able to use to keep an eye on the coop in the hopes of finding out which hen(s) are breaking the eggs? I really don't want to have to get rid of all ten if only a few have gone over to The Dark Side.

@IdyllwildAcres From what I've read, if your chicks haven't started laying yet they should take to the tilted nesting boxes the same as they would any other, as they will never have known about any other kind. The problem with my hens is they have been laying for anywhere from 6 months to two years, so the RA's are a new and strange thing to them.

@IdyllwildAcres From what I've read, if your chicks haven't started laying yet they should take to the tilted nesting boxes the same as they would any other, as they will never have known about any other kind. The problem with my hens is they have been laying for anywhere from 6 months to two years, so the RA's are a new and strange thing to them.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I figured, but I wanted to put in some wood eggs to give them the idea and even thought of hot glueing them in place! I am thinking making one that will tilt flat should be as easy as a couple hinges....

Is there a way the plans can be in a place all can locate. I understand you don't get on here often. You obviously have helped a ton of us crazy chicken folks & I am new here. I have seen your original and updated pictures but am wondering if the plans you send are more detailed?
Hope you are feeling well.

Back
Top Bottom