New to goats

Ah okay.
And that's about perfect, I'm just using goats till my dairy cow is old enough to be bred which should be about 2 years.
What age can you first breed a doeling?

The whole "what age can a doeling be bred" question is sort of a hot debate. Nigerians are a smaller breed, so they won't be able to be bred as soon as some of the larger breeds. I would say an april born doe kid wont make weight to be bred in the fall of the same year. Wait until next fall. That way she is mature and developed enough to kid. With larger breeds some breed at 8 months. A boer doe(meat breed) will be 80 lbs at 6 months, and can be bred then.

I got the pen done today, nice and secure and big, put in a large dog house, built a hay feeder, got a place for water. I'm going in the morning to buy hay, grain, mineral, baking soda, wormer, and a tether. I'm suppose to pick her up at 5:00.
They also said they have a doeling they could sell me with her.. but here's the thing. The doeling is 6 months old and potentially pregnant

I got the pen done today, nice and secure and big, put in a large dog house, built a hay feeder, got a place for water. I'm going in the morning to buy hay, grain, mineral, baking soda, wormer, and a tether. I'm suppose to pick her up at 5:00.
They also said they have a doeling they could sell me with her.. but here's the thing. The doeling is 6 months old and potentially pregnant

Potentially? What makes them think that? Did they have a vet come out and take a look at her?

No idea. They just said "she might be bred". I guess they must have had her in with a buck but don't know if she's pregnant or not

Last edited:
That would be my guess too.
Ask them and if thats the cass ask what breed of buck. I once picked up three nigerians "that may be breed" later found out they were with a lamancha buck. All three were bred and we lost ever kid and almost lost two of tbe does. Babies were too big. Bad deal wouldnt wish that on anyone.
The does had all had kids before so wasnt like they were young like the one youre looking at.

Okay, well I got them both lol. The older one is pregnant, id say about 3 months, and the younger one is actually nine months old, and is definitely pregnant, probably got a month or less left, she's already getting milk. They're both bred to a Nigerian.
Here they are, the black one is the 4 year old. She keeps ramming the other one in the side, what can I do about that?

Okay, well I got them both lol. The older one is pregnant, id say about 3 months, and the younger one is actually nine months old, and is definitely pregnant, probably got a month or less left, she's already getting milk. They're both bred to a Nigerian.
Here they are, the black one is the 4 year old. She keeps ramming the other one in the side, what can I do about that?
I would've passed on that doeling if I were you and found the older doe a companion elsewhere. A 10 month old kidding can cause major problems. Have you ever delivered kids before? You will need an experienced goat person helping her kid. A 10 month old nigerian could only be 20 lbs, and delivering a 5 lb kid? That could just about kill her.

Goat herds have a pecking order. They will beat each other up to enforce their positions in the herd. Nothing you can do about it.

Lucky for me, my cousins boyfriend (they both live with me!) worked on a goat farm caring for over 700 goats for a couple years, so I'm in good hands

Got that too, I just took my dogs to the vet the other day and I made sure to ask if they do livestock too and they do! I knew I was taking a gamble buying a young doe as a first time goat owner, but I think I'm pretty well equipped for an emergency. Just gonna hope all goes well now. And luckily I can be home at all times to keep an eye on her once she gets closer

Back
Top Bottom