New to Pheasants

Definitely going to have to make a few changes to the brooder. I thought I had planned for anything. As usual actual experience is a lot different than reading and research. LOL.
Next up for the brooder is insulation and sheeting in the interior walls. I will also sheet the ceiling. I think this is going to be only way for me to get the temps stable. Too much influence right now by the outdoor temps. I guess that is a lesson learned.

Checked on them first thing this morning and they seem pretty happy. The temp was down a little so I lowered the lights some. Luckily they still were not piling so I believe they weren't overly chilled.

When I unloaded them yesterday I did notice that 4 birds were a lot smaller than the others and were struggling. 1 did not make it very long and another died before night fall. The other 2 were hanging in there this morning and seem to be doing a little better this morning. Not sure if they will make it or not. I am picking up some electrolytes and vitamins today and will mix with the water.

Well Congrats on getting started. Your journey is about to begin. Here is a helpful hint, start looking for a vender that sells blinders for your birds. They start pecking each other at an early age so I would cut their beak every month or so then apply the blinder at around 7 weeks of age. Well that's how we do it on our farm.

Ok. Have a couple questions I am not sure about.

What age should I start giving Grit?

How long should I keep the straw covered? I currently have it covered by a sheet but cannot remember when I can remove it and have them just on the straw base. I was thinking it was 1 week but want to be sure.

When can I start giving them other stuff to eat on like lettuce/greens?

Thanks!

We never give grit. Just keep with your 28%-30% starter until they are 6 weeks old.

You can expose the straw after a week. You will notice they move faster the older they get so their footing will get better. Also make sure you have a top to your brooder or its high enough because even at a very young age they want to try and fly. You don't want to come home one day and see them around the house!!

If you are trying to introduce greens you can do it at a week or two. Pheasants are always curious to new things.

We never give grit. Just keep with your 28%-30% starter until they are 6 weeks old.

You can expose the straw after a week. You will notice they move faster the older they get so their footing will get better. Also make sure you have a top to your brooder or its high enough because even at a very young age they want to try and fly. You don't want to come home one day and see them around the house!!

If you are trying to introduce greens you can do it at a week or two. Pheasants are always curious to new things.
Thank you!
They are getting very fast. Very fun to watch them running around and flapping their wings. It is amazing how young they are when they start preparing for flight.
The brooder is 8'x8' with the roof being approximately 8' high. They have run of the whole thing minus the corners as I have put cardboard to round the corners.
I will add some roost for the to jump up on next week. They won't be quite ready for them but they will be there when they are.
I put a few pine tree branches in there along the edges so they had some places to hide and something new to investigate. They seem to really enjoy them.

I will keep the sheet in place until next week and then will remove it.

Appreciate the info.

Latest update.
The pheasants seem to all be doing well. They are about 10 days old now.
I removed the sheet from the brooder so they are now on straw.
They are growing well. They have almost all of their wing feathers.
They are eating well and drinking well.
We have had a little challenge keeping the temps steady but are doing our best.
It has been pretty cold out the last couple mornings and looks like it will stay that way for a couple more.
So I have been raising the lights in the afternoon and then lowering back down around sunset.
This process seems to be working pretty well.

These pictures were taken at day 7 or 8.

They look supper cute!
If I may ask where did you get them from? I got 10 from Strombergs that are due in June 9th or 10th.

They look supper cute!
If I may ask where did you get them from? I got 10 from Strombergs that are due in June 9th or 10th.
I purchased them from a hatchery here in Ohio. The one I went to does not ship chicks. I went to them and picked them up.
Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom