New Year Hatch w/Connie,Wickedchicken6,BantyChooks,penny1960,CapricornFarm,Auroradream26 & Rubysword

I have 2 males from the batch. Capricorn HATES to be held. Banty is an attention hoe. "He purrs like a half owl, half kitten" when picked up. Comical. Cap is a token bully. They are on soil/sod now in tractor rings. I move the rings about every 3 days. Considering breeding them. Banty and wicked offspring.. sounds right and wrong at the same time!:gig:confused:
Wrong. Just wrong. :gig

DH just called me "the chicken pimp" when I told em what I said..lol
So if you guys knew that I was going to mate your birds, would you have still picked an egg?
I could pimp out Capricorn instead. He's not a sweetie though. Banty is more of a romancer. He will bring a bottle of wine and read some poetry. Capricorn will bring a six pack of beer and slip a Micky into your drink.:lau

:eek:....at least we'd make pretty babies :oops: :lau
DSC00060.JPG
DSCN5782.JPG
A combination of these... :love

Yay, I read through all of this and had to keep my mouth shut because if I posted it :clapwould still be at the end. I have enjoyed the text and the photos very much. Farmer Connie please take a bow.:thumbsup
Thank you! It's been fun & interesting to say the least. Thank you for your kind words.

So after dark last night I had my first BYC Batch scare. 9-ish O'clock we were done scooping a big batch of barley grain into buckets and before we went in I made my rounds to make sure all of the hatch doors were secure. @CapricornFarm Cockerel was missing! I freaked out. I looked all around the tractor and no where around. I cried out my chicken call... and a bunch of other roos called out but no Capri..
Finally after scouring the grounds I made it to the railing under the tree by our sundeck where my free birds sleep. Capricorn was snuggled next to Pinky the Barred Rock (Wicked's mommy). Made himself at home.
20180425_222407.jpg

So I suppose I should use this as an opportunity to show off Capricorn's color changes. Note the golden pattern emerging out of the greenish blackness. I'm assuming nothing anymore on whom the father was.
20180425_222415.jpg
Remember, this hatch occurred during an extremely heavy rooster population. I'm confused completely who daddy could be. All those males have been gone for some time now.
Capricorn has a little of everything in him. Splashed/dashed/smashed..
I put him back in the tractor and secured the lid.
20180425_222421.jpg

The Barred rock Pinky was on death's door 1 year ago or so when she was ganged up on in the big egg house. She was pecked naked (thus the name pinky). We brought her out to live or die with the free birds to live her final days in peace. Since then her coat has recovered so beautifully, and is thick and luxurious. Protected nightly by our collie dog on duty. Without Pinky, there would be a different Wickedchicken. Everything happens for a reason.
I have a few more pix to share. I'll update soon enough. Was taking a little break away from the grandson. Have him for the next 5 days. Back later.

So after dark last night I had my first BYC Batch scare. 9-ish O'clock we were done scooping a big batch of barley grain into buckets and before we went in I made my rounds to make sure all of the hatch doors were secure. @CapricornFarm Cockerel was missing! I freaked out. I looked all around the tractor and no where around. I cried out my chicken call... and a bunch of other roos called out but no Capri..
Finally after scouring the grounds I made it to the railing under the tree by our sundeck where my free birds sleep. Capricorn was snuggled next to Pinky the Barred Rock (Wicked's mommy). Made himself at home.View attachment 1358893
So I suppose I should use this as an opportunity to show off Capricorn's color changes. Note the golden pattern emerging out of the greenish blackness. I'm assuming nothing anymore on whom the father was. View attachment 1358894 Remember, this hatch occurred during an extremely heavy rooster population. I'm confused completely who daddy could be. All those males have been gone for some time now.
Capricorn has a little of everything in him. Splashed/dashed/smashed..
I put him back in the tractor and secured the lid.View attachment 1358903
The Barred rock Pinky was on death's door 1 year ago or so when she was ganged up on in the big egg house. She was pecked naked (thus the name pinky). We brought her out to live or die with the free birds to live her final days in peace. Since then her coat has recovered so beautifully, and is thick and luxurious. Protected nightly by our collie dog on duty. Without Pinky, there would be a different Wickedchicken. Everything happens for a reason.
I have a few more pix to share. I'll update soon enough. Was taking a little break away from the grandson. Have him for the next 5 days. Back later.

He is absolutely stunning! Almost looks Marans-ish. Don't they drive you nuts when they choose to take matters into their own wings and do as they please? Lol

Back
Top Bottom