New Year Hatch w/Connie,Wickedchicken6,BantyChooks,penny1960,CapricornFarm,Auroradream26 & Rubysword

@penny1960
What more can I say? Your bird has me creating threads left & right asking question about this unique specimen.
The current question brought to forum is WHAT SEX?
By now I should not be asking this kind of a question. If I have been handling and caring for poultry for over 17 yrs, I should know how to sex a 5 m/o bird.
This one has me and hubby scratching each others heads.
Pretty/handsome- depends how you look at he features.
Characteristics of a rooster of the head and neck.View attachment 1397062
Long luxurious neck feathering/comb--ears-waddles say I'M A BOY!View attachment 1397068
The body shape suggests girl. Except that one feature that is exceptional-View attachment 1397079 The yellow leg is slightly fatter than the whiter leg. But the hardest thing to photograph is @penny1960 's yellow drumstick and thigh. It is much larger than the lighter leg. The bird walks kind of funny. Kinda like a pirate with a peg leg.
I might need to upload a video to explain better.

This photo says Rooster-View attachment 1397094

This side of the bird has brown spots and green highlights.View attachment 1397097Which is the lighter leg side of the big if you are following.View attachment 1397105
It was an overcast day yesterday. Couldn't use the flash with the shutter speed setting we were using. We were concentrating on relocation of the birds, not perfect photos. Quickie pics were taken after marring all the birds and banding them. No more tractor housing. They have a private residence now. At least before these current plans change.View attachment 1397108
Well there you go.. @penny1960
Video soon enough.
This is still amazing to me. :bow

@CapricornFarm
The big & powerful cockerel. OMG. He will blow your hair back when he fans his massive wings.
Nicknamed "THE BEAST".
DSCN6597.JPG
He escaped and eluded us. Took 20 minutes to capture him. Sargent Pepper distracted him and DH snatched him from behind. Sgt. Pepper is our free range yard boss.
Massive but young @CapricornFarm roo is catching up to his size in less than 3 months. Thus the nickname the beast.
DSCN6600.JPG
An assortment of color variation. Crayola was his nickname before he got so big.
DSCN6599.JPG
BJG splashed with I don't know what.
DSCN6601.JPG

@CapricornFarm is in a tractor ring still within the run with the others. Slowly being introduced to @BantyChooks . Banty is mellow yellow. I can't have the beast hurting Banty.
DSCN6602.JPG

I know what you are thinking! How can I post a Canadian Chicken without posting it's pair!
@BantyChooks use to say- "I'm still the cutest". She can now say- The Handsomest. I really never saw this coming. Scrolling back all those pages ago and watching the transformation of this young cockerel.
It looks like a different bird all together. If I didn't photograph the entire development of this bird, it would be impossible to say that this is the young adult version of that tiny little penguin chick. Without futher adue, The most handsome roo on our property- @BantyChooks the Rooster:View attachment 1397027 I totally see Black Jersey Giant green feathering. My only guess would be my BJG mated with 1 of many Mottle Java Cockerels that were sent to freezer camp. Banty is sporting leg bands, courtesy of your sister from south Canada..View attachment 1397033 Banty is not accustomed to wiping his feet prior to the photo op. You can raise a "Northie" in the south, but you can't remove the Northie habits I suppose. We don't have the snow to keep the dirty specs washed away I suppose.:gig
View attachment 1397039 Check out them waddles!!!!! That beautiful black beak. Whiskers sticking up with the comb. The mottling. I LOVE THIS ROOSTER!View attachment 1397040 Long green & black tail feathers! BEAUTIFUL MUT!View attachment 1397041
I've decided to call him a "MOTTLED GIANT" instead of mut. Seems more appropriate. In the near future, I will breed him with a Pure BJG & M-java to witness the stronger genetics of his cross breeding.

I received a warning from the State department that if I was to breed Banty with Wicked, it might be a conflict of interest with our Country's diplomatic relationship with the Canadian Government.:idunno
I am gorgeous!! :love :gig Thanks for the new pictures.
She, er...he is a beautiful rooster! (Did you hear that Banty...you sexy rooster you!) :gig

The government? :rolleyes: Little 'ol us from Canada? We wouldn't hurt a fly, would we Banty? (Try to look innocent!)
<<giggles>> That's the first time anyone has said that about me.
(Innocent? C'mon girl, you know me—I couldn't act innocent if the PM himself asked me to.)

It has been raining for days. Pix from feeding in the dark last night between cloud bursts.
@CapricornFarm is under the blue tarp in a wire ring for a slow introduction with @BantyChooks .
DSCN6666.JPG
They are now all housed in a transition pen which generally holds adolescent birds either being sold or kept until they are mature enough/size-weight- to be introduced with any of our adult pens. Their is a runt cross in with them. She is laying eggs but too small for the big house. She was picked on too much so she has stayed in the area alone up to now. She is so gentle that she adores the byc birds company.
She is pictured behind the hanging twine.
DSCN6665.JPG

Banty & termite
DSCN6661.JPG

Banty/Wicked/Termite
DSCN6663.JPG

This rain is nasty. But we need it I suppose. Only the free range ducks seem not to mind.
DSCN6660.JPG

So early this morning Capricorn broke out of the tractor ring and was in the population, along with Banty. The 2 Cockerels have never met before. Except the last couple of days where Capricorn was caged in the run with Banty.
Both birds seem to not mind each others company. I inspected their combs etc and they look like no real scraping took place. Then they started walking together. I was amazed. It is pouring rain again so I'm not babysitting them. Tired of getting soaking wet, today is like day 9 of straight on and off rain. I am so far behind. I mowed grass ejected towards their run yesterday evening. They didn't mind the mower and attacked every grass blade that made it through the double wire fence.
If it stops raining, I take some pics of the roosters hanging out together.
AND grab @penny1960 , she escaped and is taking a tour of the facilities with the yard birds. I really don't want to clip her/him but this is the 3rd time penny got out. Hawks are everywhere. Pix in a little bit.

@BantyChooks
DSCN6707.JPG

The Canadians are always glued to each others hips. @Wickedchicken6 & Banty
DSCN6705.JPG

@penny1960 @Auroradream26 @Rubysword
lurking in the shade
DSCN6711.JPG

Banty & Termite.. "Hey Baby" Wanna hang out later?
DSCN6715.JPG

@CapricornFarm released himself from prison on his own recognizance. As long as he behaves, he can hang with the gang.
DSCN6706.JPG
The white cross on the left is a runt rejected by the bullies in the big house. She is chilling out with the BYC bunch until she gets big enough to defend herself or learn to run faster.

All in all, the whole gang is mild mannered and enjoying each others company. Next month, I should see some egg activity. The byc bunch is going to make me breakfast they tell me.
DSCN6720.JPG

This is still amazing to me. :bow
Hang onto your hats!
CHAPTER 2 is beginning.

The girls are laying eggs! To early to say which is which but some are confused and dropping them in the run.
AND- @BantyChooks 's cockerel goes broody at night and sits on eggs in the nest box:wee.
Pictures and stories coming up.
I plan on breeding combinations of the group. Still too early to breed though.
But breakfast photos are in order!
egg fry.gif

Back
Top Bottom