Newly adopted cockerel

Yorkshire lass

Songster
7 Years
Oct 30, 2016
Bonny Scotland
Good morning

Please see pic of Abraham who we adopted from our local SPCA yesterday. I think he's a Cuckoo Marans but now realise there are several similar breeds, and as well as this he has flecks of irridecent green with his markings. Guess he's a very young lad due to the small spurs?

Many thanks for your advice.

Hi. He doesnt look like a Maran. More like a cross breed chicken. Marans have feathered eggs. He doesnt look that young, he's definitely older than 6 months IMO. Lets see what others say

Ok AustralorpsAU, thank you for that. Didn't receive any history on him as he and is pal were dumped somewhere unfortunately (his pal died recently at the SPCA). The staff thought he was young. Guess some can have small spurs then ... watched a video for removing spur shells, and blimey they were huge, although so was the rooster! :)

Not all Marans have feathered legs. Cuckoo Marans, if I recall have white skin, so the leg color is wrong. I say a mix or a sex link.

He looks like a Dorking, with his low set look, extra toes and huge comb. could be a mixed breed or a cross between different colored dorkings- the reason for this is because he is not pure for the barring gene, by his dark color overall and spotty legs. Roosters pure for barring are much lighter all over with clearer legs.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I think you're going to have to be content with Barnyard Mix
smile.png

The dark barring indicates he's mixed. That is a large comb and wattle, especially if he really is that young.

Is the that squatty built, or is it just the camera angle?

Thanks donrae

All interesting stuff - many thanks to all responses. I don't really care about his breed, just interested ... enjoying viewing many breeds as I go :) Already Abraham is in command and trying to tempt the ex-bat girlies, and one already is not so freaked out by his courtship, but I think he'll have to be very patient as they've never seen a different type of bird before, nevermind an amorous male! :) He's very timid towards me but I've started cuddling him last thing at night and first thing in the morning so hope he'll come round soon.

All the best.

Back
Top Bottom