North Carolina

Quote:
It sounds like it would be fun! But it would be to far away tho
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe I'm slow laughingdog but could you explain yourself a little better? I lived in Asheville for many years before moving to a smaller town so maybe I can help but don't quite understand the question. sorry.

@miss lydia, im urious to know anyone who would know of possible chicken friendly places in asheville, that wouldnt be horribly expensive (like trailer even), but would need to be acessable to public transit or withing short miles of town, as im legally blind and not allowed to drive ( here anyway, though might be able there for all i know). im having trouble again with people shooting at my animals out in cages in fenced yard, so time to move, and just want to try to at least get my foot in the door of asheville finally, instead of putting money and effort into looking and settling here again. if it helps to anyone who knows renters, i am a former vet assistant so why i am currently having some rescues im trying to nurse back to top shape, as well as just some hobby pets that i enjoy, and have SSDi as stable income and savings to get by till find work there, and know how to and would have good refferance from manager of complex im in now.
i could just say own caged birds, and keep chickens inside as i keep my animals really clean, but would love to be able to let them have a run outside during day at least when home, or not tell and no one would know, as sad had them and asked here and apparently for six monthes m manager and neighbrs thought i was joking till i put a rooster in friend's kitchen (she has chicken sculptures and knick nacks everywere and thought the bantam roo was a toy till it started walking around etc..lol then she freaked and everyone was asking were got the roo from after i said it was me and had to show i actual had chickens in my place. i have bantams by the way (im addicted to fresh eggs and cannot go back to the rancid store bought ones), and downsizing the others sadly, but just need to get the people ready for the birds to be taken to set up halfway decent at least..

P.S. your not slow, im not good on the comp with articulating in general, add to that my vision.. lol

by the way, im not to lazy to try to look things up, i have, but just not good at it on here, and organizations say can only help me with getting into things here ready to or help look, once i am actually there. once i get some were accessibe to things in general, there are alot of options to get help, and give back to the community. i loved visiting there, but never could just explore what was beyond the tourism area shops/stores, vendors, and been a year since ive been there now. loved everythng i saw, just here generally if you dont know someone outside of tourism area or circle, rent and costs will run you dry quick, though oddly same prices here, execpt never went shopping for food there, so not sure how that compares..

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Sounds like a great idea, but
hit.gif
we're too far away.... Please take LOTS of pictures for those of us on the Eastern part of the state!!
smile.png
We'll be there in spirit though, and know that we have some of your chickens (via G&A)...I'll have to post pics soon for you to see, for my Lavenders are just stunningly beautiful (ok, I'm biased)!!
smile.png
Hope it all works out for you!!

Anyone on the Eastern side interested in a chickenstock?? Not sure what it is or anything like that, but I'm sure if enough of us wanted to...we could do one on our side....just tossing the idea out there...

HI all
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif
to all the new people.

Happy Fathers Day!

My internet was out all day yesterday !
somad.gif
We did not get any of the rain yesterday, just wind ( a sand storm) .
tongue.gif

Last night around 9 PM ish, I go outside to check my birds. I hear peeping from the small D'Uccle coop. (they are almost 2 months old) I am looking in there and the light barely reaches there coop. I see something, not sure what. Then I realize it is a snake
ep.gif
wrapping around one of my babies
rant.gif
OOO NO WAY
somad.gif
I grab the snake coiled around the chick and shake, uncoil the snake off the chick.
duc.gif
Lots of cussing ! My youngest DD, grabs the chick and checks her out and cuddles her and I put the snake under a bucket. The snake is not aggressive at all and has been living in the barn forever, eating mice. So I have left her alone. About two weeks ago, she ate some broody eggs so I relocated her to the back of the property. Well she came back ...obviously ! So I put her in a bird cage and will relocate her off the property. This a pretty big snake, she has to be 4 ft long. I have enjoyed her company, but she crossed the line and has to go.
tongue.gif
Glad I felt the need to go check on everyone, I would have found a plump snake in the coop this am and 1 less chick.( or more) She would never have been able to get back out of the coop after eating even one.
barnie.gif

That was my 1st predator attack.....foiled !!!!
clap.gif

Should have some duckings hatch today, so far not so much as a pip
hu.gif
And I have chickens go into lockdown tonight. These are eggs I pulled from the fridge as an experiment. I put 18 in the bator, I will candle tonight and lockdown. Eggs were 1 day to 2 weeks in the fridge...........

Alison & allabout..... sending get well hugs
hugs.gif

ML... your Orps are beautiful. I have 4 Lavenders from HT, but they are in their ugly stage
lol.png
I can't wait for them to grow up !
love.gif

Matt... I hear ya...... I spent the day, laying around, in the AC, reading and did nothing else
roll.png
I hate the heat, and saw on the news that we are expect 97s the next 2 days
th.gif

Bhep- Glad you were able to save the chick! I'm not surprised the snake found its way back. Snakes leave a pheromone so they can find their den and have excellent olfactory senses. Did you hear about the house of snakes in Idaho on GMA the other morning? Luckily, garter snakes aren't poisonous or usually aggressive to prey bigger than they are. Good luck on relocating the snake. I'd have taken a hoe to it and took its head though.
rant.gif
I'm not a big fan of snakes.

I have a spot in mind....about 5 miles away. Hope she doesn't come back from there. I am sure their are more snakes around, I have to batten down the hatches.
hmm.png

I was raised with the motto for snakes, "Kill it first, identify it later."
somad.gif
Had one in my hen house the other day...we wondered why egg production had gone down for the last few days...
hu.gif
When we held up his lifeless body, you should have seen all the egg yolks coming out!
he.gif
We threw him in the field as buzzard food! I swear I thought I heard my hens cheering...
yippiechickie.gif

I am a big softy when it comes to animals. The snake was just doing what snakes do.
hu.gif
Everything/everyone has to eat something. If it was poisoness and I feared for my family... I would probably kill it. So she is in a cage with water and some egg to eat, I won't turn her loose without a good meal. That's just me.
smile.png
The nature lover......

Back
Top Bottom