North Carolina

sorry to hear about wolfman beth, but yes the stopping of gasping for air and starting to shiver is a good sign (his body is tring to warm up) If you are cold and shiver than stop after a while, it's not a good sign if your still cold. Good luck with him, watch for water in lungs for the next few weeks (he could get a cold, flu, pnumina (sp))
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Get pics evryone. It does look like a part silkie G&A

Yes... 1st thing I did was blow dry him. Then put him under a heat lamp. 91 degrees. The heat lamp is off, he is standing. He is in the laundry room, it is warm in there. His comb is dark, obviously stressed. He will spend the next several days inside in ICU.
smile.png

So... I hope he does not get sick.
barnie.gif
I have my first aid kit ready.

Beth, we will be thinking of you and Wolfman!! Jloeffler, why should I stop you wanting Silkies, and Ramirez, yes it is a pure silkie, nothing crossed in to it.

Now with 11 in brooder boxes we still have the 13 Silkie eggs in the incubator and 6 marans eggs for my neighbor. So, there may be a surplus of Silkies available at some point in the future.

Not saying too much to anyone, but without Silkies you are, I say again - YOU ARE - missing out on a wonderful experience. The one I saved from the cold is so sweet, I place my hand in the brooder and up it jumps! Then settles down on my chest...... Thing is so dang sweet I'll never let this one go.....

And as a member of the American Bantam Silkie Club, it is my task to get everyone to own at least 2 silkies....... Everyone
love.gif
Silkies!!
ya.gif

BHep - I am happy that as of this moment Woflie is doing better!!
fl.gif
Keeping my fingers crossed for him!! xoxo

G & A - You do know that I don't own ANY silkies....nor can I justify having something that foo-fooy in my pen to get beat up and picked on by the GIANTS (aka: BO)
gig.gif

So I let the gang free range today all the while praying they stayed out of the woods.
ya.gif
They did!! They also came back to NEST...found 3 more eggs in the boxes when I locked them up tonight!!
woot.gif
They ran right up to me (I think they were just so excited to be out and able to stretch a bit more) while I was outside and let me lead them back to their coop for the night. I might add...JUST in the nick of time, as soon as I locked up...the sky opened up and there currently is a monsoon passing over us!! I am also happy to report that Tink the very cute and completely adoptable (seriously you can take her) did VERY well with the chickens. They came right up to the deck, she looked at them once and then wasn't even interested....now if she was starving
ep.gif
I don't want to think about that!! For those of you getting the rain, try and stay dry!!

Buttercup -
love.gif
Okay...you are my new favorite BYC'er!! I am a HUGE HUGE Princess Bride fan (I use to show it to my students and make them write a comparative analysis - just so I could justify watching it at least once a year!!
big_smile.png
). Just for you, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya; you killed my father, prepare to die." "Stop saying that..."
lau.gif
Okay I will stop!!
smile.png

Have a great evening everyone!!

Quote:
Ruthann, yes you are right you need a seperate coop and run........ And with all that land you have then you have no excuse for getting DH to build and for you to get some so that beautiful DD can have some pretty chickens!!

G & A - I am already having him do a LOT of work...I don't think I should press my luck. He's tilling the ground for our garden (we're expanding) and in Mid-Feb he will be planting 11 trees and I'm hoping to get a fence on our property IN CASE we get livestock like he keeps suggesting. As for more chickens I'd LOVE more, but I am thinking big ones, not little ones. DD can earn some money if she wants some cute fluffy ones and then she can get daddy to build another enclosure!!
wink.png
See...I'm sly like that!!

On a fun note, we've been keeping track of the number and color of eggs that we've collected this month and the grand total (from 7 possible layers...a few of the Marans are either not laying yet or laying every few days or so) 78 brown eggs (that includes the light from the Orps and dark ones from the Marans) and 8 Brown/Green eggs from the "Mutant" I mean "Mutt" I mean...
lau.gif

Quote:
Olive egger.......you have an olive egger
245.gif

We had free ranged nearly 30+ birds some years back and it worked well until a neighbor discovered how tasty they were
97.gif
...........yep..........wiped them all out in less than a week and I couldn't prove a thing
3ztzsjm.gif
but it was not a natural predator
5.gif
we don't free range anymore

Cute pics everyone......just LOVE those chickies
computer3.gif

So sorry Beth......I sure hope he will be ok and soon. Don't beat yourself up too much........things happen
consoling2.gif

Last edited:
G&A I know it's pure silkie,lol, I ment the color is partridge like you hope, maybe even a blue partridge. sorry about the miss understanding.
Glad to hear wolfmans doing better
hugs.gif

and that the woods didn't steal any birds on anyone. 78 brown and 8 greenish aint bad for a months work just starting out.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom