North Carolina

NC...Are you ready for the Heatwave?! This is serious folks. I'm hoping everyone's chickens will pull through this weekend. Almost thinking of buying an AC and keeping them locked in the coop, or option #2 is keeping them under the house where its nice and cool. Option #3 is just leaving them out and hope for the best. This sucks.

I've had chickens for almost 10 years and 2007 was the killer year. Temps got to 106 and killed my favorite silkie Dumb Dora. It's supposed to be almost as hot this weekend. :th

What will you be doing?

Thanks for the welcome! I'm super excited about all of this!

I haven't decided completely. I was thinking about maybe 4-8 hens. I like the Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, EE, Buff Orpinton and Wyandottes. I haven't decided yet. I'm still pouring over this web site to learn as much as I can before I jump in the deep water! But I do like the different types and kinds of chickens. Plus I want friendly girls too! I have a 4.5 year old boy and this will be a great group of "pets" for him...along with our 15 year old dachshund.

BTW. I love the scripture. I'm a youth pastor!
yippiechickie.gif

NC...Are you ready for the Heatwave?! This is serious folks. I'm hoping everyone's chickens will pull through this weekend. Almost thinking of buying an AC and keeping them locked in the coop, or option #2 is keeping them under the house where its nice and cool. Option #3 is just leaving them out and hope for the best. This sucks.

I've had chickens for almost 10 years and 2007 was the killer year. Temps got to 106 and killed my favorite silkie Dumb Dora. It's supposed to be almost as hot this weekend.
th.gif

What will you be doing?
For starters, I'm not taking any birds to WCA like I planned. That just might be a death sentence. We already have a large fan in the main coop, which blows air through the Juvenile Detention center too. The newest henhouse was set up for good air flow. Hopefully there's a breeze, as that one is too far to run a cord. I may just bring all the babies inside. We'll see how it goes.

I did a head count when I closed up for the night. Missing two turkey poults. Hubby told me the smalles twas found dead this morning, but the other is one of six that have been the velociraptor pack all over the property. It may have roosted in a tree. I'll find out in the morning. If not, I'll have to walk about and find what happened.

The turkey hen is still on her nest, and the young birds have grown a lot while I was gone.

I have fans blowing in and out but this heat is gonna be hard. They normally all free range but even with shade and cool water it may be too much to handle.

It has been 10 days since I found Creamette hanging by her toe. As you can see she is doing well. She is still sore in her leg and foot and has to work that foot slowly to get moving. I have no doupt it will still take time to fully heal.

If you look at the foot she is holding up, you can see the black(bruise/damage) line across her middle toe. That is where it was bent over and she was hanging by. She is probably not going to loose any of her toe. As you can see she has good color past the line. I know her feathers look awful. Freerange birds get nasty and tattered. She should be starting her molt here soon.

Of course SPOT had to see what I was doing with his woman. The little camera hog is always around her.

Matt

Last edited:
Went out this morning and got to see what the kids thought was "fighting", it was not "fighting" it is mating. Will a rooster mate with a hen that is not ready? Can this hurt the hens? One of my hens is currently hiding in the coop on the roosts. To much attention?

Back
Top Bottom