Not Sure if You've Got a Pullet or a Cockerel? Click here! thread 3

Pics

Ignore their messy bed lol. This was right after changing the bottom and putting new food in, sigh...
I'm not sure if this is a breed or a possible gender thing, age differences, or just normal chick growth but I figured this may be a good place to ask :) As you see, we have 5 babies... They are young, I got them from the store on May 25th which was the day they supposedly all arrived there. We have 2 EE (labeled as Ameracauna but I've learned better lol), 1 RIR, 1 "yellow buff" is what they said I assume that's a Buff Orpington (sp?) and then 1 "barred rock". I noticed the BR is literally half the size of the extra-fluffy EE in the back and the Orpington. She is still smaller than all the others and stands straight up as pictured 99% of the time. I don't think cocc would be the reason for any size differences (I've dealt with that in foster kittens lol) I've been watching their poo and everyone seems normal and healthy.
Some other differences I've noticed-the fluffy (really large) EE in the back is starting to get a comb and the other EE is smaller, sleeker, and completely "flat beaked." Don't pick on my wording lol

Any ideas on why we have these size differences? Are they different ages then I'm thinking, is it a possible gender thing, or just normal? Again, I can post individual just let know me :)

@junebuggena or whoever would know...

I ordered 4 BAs... how do you tell th difference between them and JGs? I'm afraid I've ended up with one or three JGs! They all have different leg colors...Besides the fact that one EE doesn't have muffs... is she just younger and hasn't developed the muffs yet? Or is she a wrong breed?
The big difference is the skin color. Not to be confused with leg color. It's the underlying skin, which can easily be seen on the bottom of the feet. Jersey Giants have yellow skin. Australorps have white skin. It may be hard to distinguish skin color on young chicks. After two weeks, the skin color should be obvious.
And Easter Eggers can be clean faced.

Ignore their messy bed lol. This was right after changing the bottom and putting new food in, sigh...
I'm not sure if this is a breed or a possible gender thing, age differences, or just normal chick growth but I figured this may be a good place to ask :) As you see, we have 5 babies... They are young, I got them from the store on May 25th which was the day they supposedly all arrived there. We have 2 EE (labeled as Ameracauna but I've learned better lol), 1 RIR, 1 "yellow buff" is what they said I assume that's a Buff Orpington (sp?) and then 1 "barred rock". I noticed the BR is literally half the size of the extra-fluffy EE in the back and the Orpington. She is still smaller than all the others and stands straight up as pictured 99% of the time. I don't think cocc would be the reason for any size differences (I've dealt with that in foster kittens lol) I've been watching their poo and everyone seems normal and healthy.
Some other differences I've noticed-the fluffy (really large) EE in the back is starting to get a comb and the other EE is smaller, sleeker, and completely "flat beaked." Don't pick on my wording lol

Any ideas on why we have these size differences? Are they different ages then I'm thinking, is it a possible gender thing, or just normal? Again, I can post individual just let know me :)
The Barred Rock could be younger then the rest, also different breeds grow/feather out faster and slower then others. At this point you can't be sure of gender but around 6 weeks you can post pictures of them. Also the "yellow buff" does look like a Buff Orpington.

Hello everyone!
I have a few buff Orpingtons at 10 weeks old that I would like to know what gender they are. I have a roo the same age/breed that is already crowing. Are these young cockerals or are they pullets? Thank you in advance!
chick #1

Chick #2

I can take other pictures if you need them. I have another one that looks just like these, but they move so fast I couldn't take a picture very well:)
I think the first one is a pullet but not sure, if you can (at your convenience) get better picture of both that would be great!

This is my black australorp, and s/he is 6 weeks today! I can't keep a rooster on my property (I can, they are legal, but we have neighbors who WILL complain). Ive been told that this bird is definitely a cockerel by someone else. I trust them but im all for second opinions. :p

Thank you!

Hello everyone!
I have a few buff Orpingtons at 10 weeks old that I would like to know what gender they are. I have a roo the same age/breed that is already crowing. Are these young cockerals or are they pullets? Thank you in advance!
chick #1

Chick #2

I can take other pictures if you need them. I have another one that looks just like these, but they move so fast I couldn't take a picture very well:)

My guess is both cockerels, but I could be wrong :)
EE, I believe it is a cockerel.

No,it's not,she's a year old and laying,I was just wondering the breed,if it was a EE or..

Does she lay brown eggs?

[@=/u/344567/junebuggena]@junebuggena[/@] or whoever would know...

I ordered 4 BAs... how do you tell th difference between them and JGs? I'm afraid I've ended up with one or three JGs! They all have different leg colors...Besides the fact that one EE doesn't have muffs... is she just younger and hasn't developed the muffs yet? Or is she a wrong breed?

The big difference is the skin color. Not to be confused with leg color. It's the underlying skin, which can easily be seen on the bottom of the feet. Jersey Giants have yellow skin. Australorps have white skin. It may be hard to distinguish skin color on young chicks. After two weeks, the skin color should be obvious.
And Easter Eggers can be clean faced.
thank you! I'll check their feet bottoms again in a few weeks. :D

This is my black australorp, and s/he is 6 weeks today! I can't keep a rooster on my property (I can, they are legal, but we have neighbors who WILL complain). Ive been told that this bird is definitely a cockerel by someone else. I trust them but im all for second opinions. :p

Thank you!

With that big of a comb at that age, I say cockerel.

Hello everyone!
chick #1

Chick #2

I think the first one is a pullet but not sure, if you can (at your convenience) get better picture of both that would be great! 

Of course! Here are better pictures. I was able to catch the 3rd one too
1f602.png

chick #1

chick #2

chick#3

And here are all three of them together

All of 3 of these young ones are aggressive toward their fellow flock members. They seem to enjoy fighting, and when they "fight" their neck feathers rise up.

Of course! Here are better pictures. I was able to catch the 3rd one too
1f602.png

chick #1
chick #2
chick#3
And here are all three of them together

All of 3 of these young ones are aggressive toward their fellow flock members. They seem to enjoy fighting, and when they "fight" their neck feathers rise up.
Chick #2 and #3 look like cockerels, I think #1 also maybe one but for some reason I feel like it isn't :/. (most likely is cockerel though due to growth of comb/wattles for that age)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom