November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I'm sure some of you have had broken blood feathers in the past. And I'm sure you have all come across bad advice. For future, just in case you get broken feathers again, I wanted to let you know what happened with my chicken. He had quite a few badly broken blood tail feathers. I seperated him and tried to pull one. That was the only time it seemed to hurt him. Everything I read said I had to pull them out. It hurt him and there were so many that I didn't want to cause him that much pain when he didn't appear to be in any at the time. One person even told me that if I was going to have chickens I had be responsible and do it, in a not very nice way. I kept the chicken in my room in a tote and let him snuggle and watch TV with me every evening so I could keep on eye on him. After about 4 or 5 days, the feathers healed and are growing again. All of them. Now I am wondering how many times people have caused further pain because of the bad information out there. Everyone passing on what they have read but no expierence with. I know that broken blood feathers can bleed badly. I understanding pulling them in that case if cornstarch won't stop it.

Every situation is different. This may not always be something you can do but it worked for me. I put blukote on his tail to stop anyone from picking on him and put him back outside.

I'm sure some of you have had broken blood feathers in the past. And I'm sure you have all come across bad advice. For future, just in case you get broken feathers again, I wanted to let you know what happened with my chicken. He had quite a few badly broken blood tail feathers. I seperated him and tried to pull one. That was the only time it seemed to hurt him. Everything I read said I had to pull them out. It hurt him and there were so many that I didn't want to cause him that much pain when he didn't appear to be in any at the time. One person even told me that if I was going to have chickens I had be responsible and do it, in a not very nice way. I kept the chicken in my room in a tote and let him snuggle and watch TV with me every evening so I could keep on eye on him. After about 4 or 5 days, the feathers healed and are growing again. All of them. Now I am wondering how many times people have caused further pain because of the bad information out there. Everyone passing on what they have read but no expierence with. I know that broken blood feathers can bleed badly. I understanding pulling them in that case if cornstarch won't stop it.

Every situation is different. This may not always be something you can do but it worked for me. I put blukote on his tail to stop anyone from picking on him and put him back outside.
I had read that too but refused to do it....my chickens feathers grew back and she's looks great....I had been concerned that she'd be ugly forever but I was happy to live that way instead of hurting her! thanks for posting this!! it's much needed

I had read that too but refused to do it....my chickens feathers grew back and she's looks great....I had been concerned that she'd be ugly forever but I was happy to live that way instead of hurting her! thanks for posting this!! it's much needed
I get so frustrated with bad advice passed around and nobody really knows or blindly follows. Because I was not blindly following, someone gets rude with me acting like I don't want to take care of my chickens. I have a turkey sleeping in my bed because he thinks I'm his mom! Some people are ding dongs and not the good kind. I was afraid if I pulled out that many, I might cause my otherwise healthy chicken to go into shock. He is confused since he was in the house for a few days, he doesn't know where to sleep. All of my other chickens had gone to bed. There are 2 places they sleep and he kept walking back and forth between the two. I felt so bad. But my new coop is almost done and they will all be sleeping in there.

Quote: chicken and turkeys are people too!
big_smile.png

People think I'm crazy but how great is it to have a turkey running around the house? Max has met sooo many people and had his picture take more than I have my entire life.

That sounds Wonderful. I haven't owned a Turkey myself but understand they have comical personality's, highly independent and from those that have successfully raised them from poults are Great.
Myself, enjoy the antics of goslings, in the house to a certain age; geese live outside and have had 'house rabbits' that now since they outnumber me live outside and take turns spending time in the house, getting exercise, socialized, groomed then get to go back to 'their space' for the night.
Do you want to call me 'crazy' too? You can,
smack.gif
but for other reasons I believe.
lau.gif

So I went over to the new Hatch-a-long. Different people. I looked for a January thread. Couldn't find one. SHould I start a new one? I'm looking for you guys and updates on your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom