Now approx 14 weeks old. Roo or pullet?

You may not, but I LOVE when you see a bird that draws different opinions!! Please do post in another few weeks and update us! I'm really hoping it's a pullet - but am mighty suspicious that it's not. This one sure is a challenge for me! In that first, upper right pic - I would swear it's a pullet. But in that last, bottom pic, I would swear it was a cockerel. Looking forward to learning the answer!

When you go to handle it, is it fairly assertive and upright posture, or does it crouch/dip down submissively??

WOW REALLY!?? Lol I cannot wait to see what this bird is goin to turn out to be. She or he doesnt like for me to handle her at all and the first time I grabbed her in awhile was to take the pictures of her comb so its hard to say her reaction. She stiffened up and got very nervous when I grabbed her but she chilled out after a few seconds. I will keep you all updated! Thanks again

I'm not sure how to copy someone's previous post but I've got a question for @teach1rusl
In your first comment you mentioned that you have found that cockerels normally have red leakage on their wings? Just wondering what you mean by that... Ive had a bird that I've believed to be a pullet until the last few days as it has been brightening up in the face and comb which I think would be too early for a hen since I was told they should now only be 14 weeks... and if I'm understanding your comment then it leads me to think maybe it is a cockerel?

I'm not sure how to copy someone's previous post but I've got a question for @teach1rusl
In your first comment you mentioned that you have found that cockerels normally have red leakage on their wings? Just wondering what you mean by that... Ive had a bird that I've believed to be a pullet until the last few days as it has been brightening up in the face and comb which I think would be too early for a hen since I was told they should now only be 14 weeks... and if I'm understanding your comment then it leads me to think maybe it is a cockerel?
Patchy coloring is almost always an indicator for cockerel. Your bird not only has patchy red on the shoulder area, but also has a dark shade of blue through the wing and back. Both of which are things that only males will have. If you look closely at the darker feathers that are coming in on the back, you will probably notice that they are different from the rest of the feathers. Those are the male specific saddle feathers. They are very shiny, narrow, and pointed.

Sorry DaddyMcChicken I'm not trying to high jack your thread!!!
Junebuggena, I can't seem to send a pm and have another 2 I would love your input on if I start another thread would you mind looking at the pics.
Thanks

How dare you Kfchicks? High jacking my thread? Nah totally joking. Im goin to post new pics of my chicken in question and see if anyone has a new or different opinion on its gender

The combs on both our birds are very similar and mine was pale pink until this week! I can see a difference in yours tail feathers tho, mine has not started to come in as much and "he" is 14-15 weeks, no crowing or anything either... And I had never heard of the red leakage so that's what drew me to questioning mine! :( would love to see more pics of yours, from the previous pictures the saddle feathers say rooster cause they appear very long and narrow.

Back
Top Bottom