October Hatch-A-Long

Newb question: how long should it take from internal pip to external pip? I've read up to 24 hours before hatch. Does that mean 24 hours before pip, too? I hear a strong peep just twice last night; figured the chick went to sleep. This morning, (I've been up too long...) I didn't hear it, so I used the flashlight to shine on the eggs. There was a very quiet peeping after a while from the egg in the back corner. Should I (or rather, at what point) be concerned? This is a legbar, ae the shells harder? Thankfully, I have things to do this morning, otherwise I might be hovering! I'll check back in around lunch hour (pacific).
My baby pipped externally within 24 hours of hearing her inside the shell peeping. Once I heard her I pulled up a video of baby chicks peeping on youtube on my phone and set it atop the bator and played it periodically and everytime she heard that she would start peeping and moving, I'm sure it gave her the motivation to move.....lol after she pipped it took something like 12-13 hours before she started zipping. Good luck, I hope they hatch out ok for you!

Just joined u
frow.gif
. our black silky went broody the 1st week of oct. started w/3 little eggs and wound up w/7 till i moved out so she could b by herself.
smile.png

2day 10/28/2014 we have (4) new bb's the 4th 1 just hatched not but 5min ago.
clap.gif
Now we get to wait on the other 3
pop.gif
. Oh i 4got 2 menchin she was w/2 other hens (bantums) and 2 silky roo's, so she got some of the bantum eggs. So we go w/out sleep again
caf.gif
. I'll c what i can do 4 pix.
cool.png

The egg I was questioning about pipped! Bottom of the big side, so it may just be slow because of the position. Plus, another pipped! That's three that have started trying to egg-scape egg-catraz!:woot

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:
We had two hatch tonight: first the one that internally pipped Monday (I heard it around pm), it finally externally pipped this morning. Then after a few false starts, suddenly unzipped and beat another one out about 5:30pm (Wed).

The second one was the first to externally pip about 5pm yesterday (Tues). We've been watching it slowly pick its egg open all day. After getting kicked around by #1 for a while, it finally decided it had had enough and popped out around 6:15pm. This one had a pale yellow bag at the navel and a poop stuck just above that. The yolk sac thing fell off within ten minutes leaving a raw navel, but thankfully no blood (it's a touch red, though, I'm happy they'll stay in the 'bator overnight; not much light in that room at night).

The third to pip is still peeping and pecking at the pip. It seems to be a bit lost. Maybe it'll surprise us and be out by morning.

Still three other hopefuls in the incubator that I haven't seen anything from yet.

I'll have to figure out pictures soon.

When I went to bed last night, we had two chicks and a partial zip. This morning, that zip was at the same point! But, a fourth egg had pipped. That one unzipped and hatched by 9 am. Still waiting on the chick that got lost in its shell, and possibly two other eggs.

Not sure how, but that last chick managed to get shrink wrapped. The children profusely deny opening the incubator, so I'll consider the idea there's a cool spot, or breezy spot in the front right corner. After 18+ hours of zip without exit (gave the other three time to dry and fluff somewhat), I steamed up the restroom and closely inspected the egg.

The chick had made a pretty good job of unzipping, but then stopped. The beak had been in the same spot, tapping on nothing but membrane or air all day. The zip line was dried to the feathers and unopenable. I followed the assisted hatch page as best I could to remove the cap of the egg and to move back the dried membrane. The inner membrane was nice and clear, blood fully absorbed.

I've put chick-on-the-half-shell back in the incubator on a paper towel. S/he's mainly resting, but has managed to free both feet. I'm hoping it gets clear of the shell without further assistance. It's the only chick in the 'bator, so it will have time to rest. The belly is very round, so I think it's absorbed the yolk. It just has to get the rest of the way out and moving.

Not sure how, but that last chick managed to get shrink wrapped. The children profusely deny opening the incubator, so I'll consider the idea there's a cool spot, or breezy spot in the front right corner. After 18+ hours of zip without exit (gave the other three time to dry and fluff somewhat), I steamed up the restroom and closely inspected the egg.

The chick had made a pretty good job of unzipping, but then stopped. The beak had been in the same spot, tapping on nothing but membrane or air all day. The zip line was dried to the feathers and unopenable. I followed the assisted hatch page as best I could to remove the cap of the egg and to move back the dried membrane. The inner membrane was nice and clear, blood fully absorbed.

I've put chick-on-the-half-shell back in the incubator on a paper towel. S/he's mainly resting, but has managed to free both feet. I'm hoping it gets clear of the shell without further assistance. It's the only chick in the 'bator, so it will have time to rest. The belly is very round, so I think it's absorbed the yolk. It just has to get the rest of the way out and moving.
Oh, I hope he/she makes it ok!!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom