Oh Craigslist, You Amuse Me So!

I didn't know my company had a branch in Indiana!

Same one that is in NY. The scary part? I work for a Health Care Provider. And their main policy is "no common sense allowed". Like the care plan says "contact Nurse if XYZ is observed." And there is NO NUMBER to call or message or leave voice mail at. So you spend a long time trying to track down said "Nurse" (or their supervisor) to tell what you have observed. Then they say "oh, don't worry about it" and don't contact the patient for days or a full week....grrrr....if you don't want to know, don't put it in the care plan, if you do want to know let me know how to contact you. Common sense, right? But not company policy.

Oh my goodness, Cass, are you in Home Health? I'm an RN for a Home Health company, and I'm right there with you!

Congrats on your Remission.

And yes, I am in Home Health Care. (HHA for 6 years and love love love it. After 20 years with children, Seniors are a breath of fresh air...same skill set tho) All Home Health Aides would like all RN's, PT's, OT's and Resp. Therapists to know ...we will watch for anything you want us to...but tell us how to reach you directly because we have better things to do with our off time than chase down someone to report our observations. And PS...many times our "notes" aren't read by our supervisiors for a full week, so that is not a reliable way to communicate...

Both times I called my office regarding observations the patient wound up in the hospital the very day the nurse bothered to go check for herself the validity of my observations.
celebrate.gif
I feel vindicated...just wish the nurse had taken me a little more seriously and checked on patient in a more timely fashion. Might have been able to avoid one of the hospitalizations. (the other one was necessary...dehydration to the max)

Quote: My SIL's mom was in a nursing home and the family had trouble seeing her this last week because of bad weather and family obligation (her dad's not well and need lots of care and she and my brother have little ones) so her mom never had any water for 2 days when her sister went to check on her and found her very ill and the nurses weren't paying much attention to her being ill and her sister made them pull out there notes on her at a care meeting she had to force the nursing home to do. her mom's still in bad shape in the hospital....

My SIL's mom was in a nursing home and the family had trouble seeing her this last week because of bad weather and family obligation (her dad's not well and need lots of care and she and my brother have little ones) so her mom never had any water for 2 days when her sister went to check on her and found her very ill and the nurses weren't paying much attention to her being ill and her sister made them pull out there notes on her at a care meeting she had to force the nursing home to do. her mom's still in bad shape in the hospital....

I am so sorry to hear that. But worse, it happens all the time. If you can't speak up for yourself, then you don't get the care you need. I would NEVER put anyone in the hospital without someone with them 80% of the time (including at night, because the night staff has been known to just ignore checking on people unless they ring their bell. Had a patient of mine lay on the floor for 4 hours while in the hospital because she fell while trying to go to the bathroom. IN THE HOSPITAL. Grrrr.)

SIL and family should SUE the nursing home for the cost of the hospital stay. If enough people sue for damages, the nursing home industry will have to clean up their act.

I did long term care before Home Health, and I gotta tell you, my CNAs and Med Techs were the bomb! They were my eyes and ears on the patients, the ones that truly knew what was going on. I had too many patients to get to know them on the level the aides did.

I hate hearing nursing homes having problems like that. I worked at some great facilities I guess--I just thought it was normal care, but when I hear things like that I realize we must have been stellar! We had lots of residents who never had family visit, and they always received good care.

I have to say, I always kept someone in the hospital with me, though. From June to November I spent 10 weeks total in the hospital, and I always had someone else with me--my honey, my mom, sister, friend, etc. Even being alert and able to speak for myself, and a long time RN, I just felt safer having that second set of eyes. I highly advise anyone staying in the hospital to do the same, even if the staff doesn't like it.

Our home health agency has a folder we're supposed to leave in the home, with the RN case manager's name and number.......most of us like to make up a bright orange sheet with the agency number, RN manager name and number on the fridge, usually next to the POLST or advance directive--makes it easy to find, and the first place EMTs check. Maybe your agency could do something similar?

My job before I got sick was to monitor our high risk patients and try to prevent as many hospitalizations as possible, so I was on the phone a lot with our HHAs, and scheduling prn nursing visits. Sometimes we could keep them home, sometimes not--you just can't treat everything at home!

Back
Top Bottom