Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics
I want to learn, and have for a long time. All the info I had was what I read online. Amanda has had to answer a zillion questions for me. It would be great to feel like there would be others to ask and share with. I've been honest from the start and I can't have 1000 birds where we live but I gave up a lot of birds just to have the chance to have the ohiki. I know you guys have sacrificed a lot, and many thanks for the hard work!! Please do share atleast your knowledge. It's greatly appreciated!! It's been nerve racking at times thinking I was going to harm mine after I finally got them just not knowing about the diet( but mine do seem ok with some corn) and I would love just to have someone else to ask crazy questions to.... :p

Well I too have been thinking about it Chuck. They are out there now, they still need some tweeking but there will be all qualities being raised now as with all other types of birds. There are several who have them who are wanting to work on them and that is good. I think now it is important to keep striving for the goal and help those who are genuinely interested in the breed. I have a guy locally here who is wanting to take over the spangled ones I have started and haven't given them to him yet but I think he really wants to work with them so I guess I will pass them on and let him

Very well Said! Thank you...

I want to learn, and have for a long time. All the info I had was what I read online. Amanda has had to answer a zillion questions for me. It would be great to feel like there would be others to ask and share with. I've been honest from the start and I can't have 1000 birds where we live but I gave up a lot of birds just to have the chance to have the ohiki. I know you guys have sacrificed a lot, and many thanks for the hard work!! Please do share atleast your knowledge. It's greatly appreciated!! It's been nerve racking at times thinking I was going to harm mine after I finally got them just not knowing about the diet( but mine do seem ok with some corn) and I would love just to have someone else to ask crazy questions to....
tongue.png

I think they are coming and you are a great example of someone who has dedicated themselves to the breed.. I really am glad I was able to help you realize your dream and have thoroughly enjoyed you sharing pictures of your birds and I must say, they are coming along nicely..

Ok, haven't posted these much anywhere yet. Here is one of my black Ohiki hens. The hens I am getting all look pretty much like this one. The rooster are not ready yet but hopefully a couple more generations and I will have some good ones.

Has any one else noticed that the ohiki toe nails grow EXTREMELY Fast.. I keep having to cut mine..

I do too, but all my birds are up off the ground so its just part of maintenance for me. The ohiki are easy being so small - the Sussex are a pain. A 12 lb flopping bird is not fun

Yep Chuck,
That all in a nut shell is spot on. I more less meant the same thing, may not have wrote it quite as I meant. But you can tell more less who wants to work and help the breed and those who just want a money bird if you will with not much care for what they are doing. That was my main point... Yes it's good to help others learn and work with them. I've been doing it ever since I got started with them. Answer questions about them quite often threw my site. It's good to see others loving the breed. Mianly what I was saying is offering "ohiki" on a auction site, when infact they arent ohiki but project birds is what I'm not liking.... For those interested in getting into them in a true way, if they see these, and dont dig around, I'm wondering just how, back to standard they will end up? Pretty much I'm thinking for the public listings, I'd just like to see them coming from FINISHED birds so there is no worries about this issue. That or a very detailed listing about them being project birds and some tips on where to go progress wise if you intend to try breeding on your own for the customers sake.

Now private sells are different. With these we all have one on one time to talk to the buyer. Fully explain everything to them and give detailed instructions and how they should proceed. Just like Amanda has done with Pokey....

I also feel it's good to contact these new sellers and try to offer help as Chuck did. Many will apreciate it, others will tell you off... those are the ones that worry me. I've also had many of Amanda's customers contact me wanting more info or different views, so it sounds like she is getting good buyers. A lot of them are trying to learn all they can, which is great.

I dont feel anyone should be bashed for anything, just hoping people will for the most part be resopnsible with them and do what is needed in the long run. As long as new comers are willing to listen and take advice, I feel it will be a great thing for the breed..

But I still dont like seeing projects on ebay listed just as ohiki with no pointers and tips for breeding and type listed. I may be hard headed, but just dont see any good coming from it. Other than that, the more the merrier as far as dedicated breeders goes...

Back
Top Bottom