Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics
for just a start Amanada, that white is awesome, cant wait to see what a few years of breeding does to them. Got a cream ginger this year too. Made me think of him after seeing your pic above. He needs some type work, but came from that good shojo male I have and is looking better every day, so he has some potential too. Will try to get a new pic of him soon. Just have one of him from when he was still very young...
I got a cream ginger too. I love him. Cute as a bug. He is young, but should have some pics later on. He is duckwing/birchen split on the base however. But that is fine with me.

Hi all. We in Poland we have a very good OHIKI. We focus on long tails. We also want to experiment with new colors. Do you have any little tips of the cross OHIKI. that there was a new color?

Sorry. My English is average.
Good luck in breeding.
I hope that there will be people who will help us.

Yours.
Kamil Mączkowski

Hi all. We in Poland we have a very good OHIKI. We focus on long tails. We also want to experiment with new colors. Do you have any little tips of the cross OHIKI. that there was a new color?

Good luck in breeding.

Yours.
Kamil Mączkowski

Toni?

I got a cream ginger too. I love him. Cute as a bug. He is young, but should have some pics later on. He is duckwing/birchen split on the base however. But that is fine with me.
I hear ya, got one like that here too, odd looking bugger. This ones birchen split ginger. Beautiful laced breast out of it with cream lacing. Not the best type on him though, one of the slim bodied and tailed ones, needs rounding up. I'm getting close to spring picture time. Things are finally looking better here feathering wise, so wont be long and I'll get ya some recent pics of all them.

Oh remember the surprise mottled chick I had...it's going to be excellent. Still a little bugger but just as round as a soft ball with virtually no legs at all just a foot, and it has 4 more just like it in the brooder with him. Cant wait to get those going later this year. If they end up with good feathering, they'll be something to talk about for sure. Sure glad I got a couple split mottled here, and some spangled. I love that look on them...

Good luck in breeding.

Yours.
Kamil Mączkowski
Toni-Marie will be able to help a lot more for sure. But if you have any nice non molting long tails, you can start with those. They'll help add feathering, lenght etc into the ohiki, but will take away some what in the correct shape so you'd have to back breed to ohiki a few times to correct that. You can also use any of the bantam soft feathered breeds. Cochin ( foot feather issues there) orpingtons, etc all make good birds to cross with. Of course you will have type issues to have to work out in anything, and regaining the long tail will need to be done.
Try to find soft feathered, round bodied breeds to do the color work with. Then if needed and you have access to it take those to non molter long tails to help regain lenght and better feathering. Just a long process either way, but worth it in the end.

There are several routes to take, just depends on what is easiest to locate in your area. Of course knowing what colors to use helps too. That just all depends on what you want in the long run. And if you have various color already available in the ohiki by all means just use those and avoid the out crossing.

One plus from an outcross aside from new colors though is additions of new blood to the breed. In many places they are very inbred and thus the more they are inbred the weaker the birds become. Outcrosses like this will help to strengthen the birds for you.

Toni-Maries work over the past decade on them is a testimony to all this... the birds we have now thanks to all her work are much stronger with far less husbandry issues now than the imports were that she got in.... Just takes time...

What are your goals with them? I mean color wise. and what do you have to use ohiki wise and potential cross wise? Things like that will help narrow down advice for you with them...

I hear ya, got one like that here too, odd looking bugger. This ones birchen split ginger. Beautiful laced breast out of it with cream lacing. Not the best type on him though, one of the slim bodied and tailed ones, needs rounding up.  I'm getting close to spring picture time. Things are finally looking better here feathering wise, so wont be long and I'll get ya some recent pics of all them.

Oh remember the surprise mottled chick I had...it's going to be excellent. Still a little bugger but just as round as a soft ball with virtually no legs at all just a foot, and it has 4 more just like it in the brooder with him. Cant wait to get those going later this year. If they end up with good feathering, they'll be something to talk about for sure. Sure glad I got a couple split mottled here, and some spangled. I love that look on them...
Oh wow.. Sweet! Can't wait to see them. You have quite the flock there now!

Back
Top Bottom