Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics
Oh wow.. Sweet! Can't wait to see them. You have quite the flock there now!
yep, counting the half grown chicks and Toni's stuff for breeders, I bet I'm close to a couple hundred in them assuming all the chicks keep growing. Got to get a new ohiki run made quick for this spring, been dragging my butt on it but it's to the point now that I have to do it haha. Got a good many pea and rose combed ones from Toni with the NM lines so really looking forward to breeding with those this spring, actually they are laying good now...Lord it never ends around here seems like

Oh.. Very nice to hear something like that from foreign growers.
Immediately raises the soul and encourages action.
it's true, very nice birds there. And yes your thought of the bantam cochin to the ohiki would be a good start for color work. That's part of what Toni-Marie did here years ago to help start all the colors we have here in the States today. You of course have the feather stubbles on the legs to correct though. That will be about your most difficult type correction to make. Just keep back breeding to ohiki til it's gone, takes a few years. But yes you get new blood into the breed, as well as new colors to play around with.
So often you hear of how it's a "sin" to cross in other breeds. Well it's the only way to do it if the breed doesnt come with it. And it vigor to overly inbred birds as well if done right. And if done right, when your are finished, they are once again just as pure as any other...

Great to hear you have interest in working with them like that. I've heard Europe in general is getting in pretty bad shape on the ohiki, so I personally feel what you want to do should be a major help in restoring strong birds over there. Just remember, it takes time, dont stop, you'll reach your goals with them. If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask any of us, we'll all be glad to help as much as we can!!

yep, counting the half grown chicks and  Toni's stuff for breeders, I bet I'm close to a couple hundred in them assuming all the chicks keep growing. Got to get a new ohiki  run made quick for this spring, been dragging my butt on it but it's to the point now that I have to do it  haha. Got a good many pea and rose combed ones from Toni with the NM lines so really looking forward to breeding with those this spring, actually they are laying good now...Lord it never ends around here seems like

Aubrey, what colors do you have in rosecomb ones? Also wondering where the rosecomb came from? And could you please post some pics, even if they are not type set. I would love to see them. Rosecombs are GORGEOUS TO ME!

It is a pity that the USA is so far away. Always be easier than you can import at least a few pieces.
I'm going to do everything I in my power to ohiki in Poland were on the same level with you. But it takes me to many years of hard work.
I registered here specifically to get help from you.

Wanting to know if this chicks legs are short enough, I'll post a picture next to a bantam yoko chick too. Both are a day old.

nyhuruga.jpg
e7e2yze8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom