Ohiki Chicken Thread

Quote:
He said he wouldnt have anything til next spring, not this coming spring, and even then, remember he said look alike projects, not the real deal Ohiki, unless he does get some from Toni Marie, Have you heard any thing else from her Ian ? And even then, I've learned the hard way that you cant plan very far a head with chickens, even if you do land some starter stock there is no guarantee that they will survive to adulthood for you to have eggs to sale, though I do wish you the best of luck with them.

Quote:
He said he wouldnt have anything til next spring, not this coming spring, and even then, remember he said look alike projects, not the real deal Ohiki, unless he does get some from Toni Marie, Have you heard any thing else from her Ian ? And even then, I've learned the hard way that you cant plan very far a head with chickens, even if you do land some starter stock there is no guarantee that they will survive to adulthood for you to have eggs to sale, though I do wish you the best of luck with them.

She said to contact her in the spring. Like Clint said, my project will only be look alikes and i don't claim them to be Ohiki but they *should* be winter hardy and be a nice crossbred in the end.

Quote:

She said to contact her in the spring. Like Clint said, my project will only be look alikes and i don't claim them to be Ohiki but they *should* be winter hardy and be a nice crossbred in the end.

Yep, it would be cool to try to remake some too with the other similarly typed bantam breeds. I have this hen now setting on some of her own eggs that the Red Pyle Phoenix roosters would be the fathers of, so I'm axious to see how they turn out. Shes silkie mixed with something, I dont know what, she was an adult when I bought her.
37373_100_4471.jpg

Oh cool! She is very golden! Im starting off my project with Bantam Longtails, Cochins, Japs, and a few Bantam Orps. Im going to use the japs and orps crossed with the cochins to help breed out the feather leggs but not loose the type.

Quote:
Actually it would greatly benefit a breed if it was only in the hands of a select few deicated breeders. That keeps from everyone trying to mass produce them and their quality going down the chute, very much like how BLR Wyandottes, BC Marans, probably Seramas, and probably the way all these Lav Orps and Coronation and Light Sussex are going to go, everyone trys to mass produce them and sell them and dont breed for quality, just the general color or trait the birds is known for and end up losing it too.

Any I would say those few longtail breeders are NOT in it for the money by any means. Most of them, especially Toni Marie, would rather give birds to someone they know will breed them right than sell them to a random person who doesnt know how to keep the breed. Like last year Toni Marie gave me my two Red Pyle Phoenix roosters and some phoenix eggs for just the cost of shipping after I had talked to her several times before on the phone and via email and exspressed my interest in the the longtail breeds and the respect for the way she breeds them. So people like her are in it for the love of their birds, Not the money.

I understand her dedication and hard work rareroo, but I don't think I got the same respect for being a novice.had the info I got from Celtic hill just been given to me I would have realized it was a demanding breed to keep.I mean no disrespect to anyone,I admire the hard work everyone is doing.just don't judge everyone asking about your project as unfit or unworthy .

I understand her dedication and hard work rareroo, but I don't think I got the same respect for being a novice.had the info I got from Celtic hill just been given to me I would have realized it was a demanding breed to keep.I mean no disrespect to anyone,I admire the hard work everyone is doing.just don't judge everyone asking about your project as unfit or unworthy .

It is not that someone is being judged as unfit or unworthy it is that we all that are working with the Ohiki are trying to protect the breed from people that do not care about what they have. Ohiki are a very rare breed as everyone knows so if we do not care for them the way we do they will be mixed with all other birds and lose the Ohiki for ever. The thing is if we see that someone is truly in it for the long hall and is looking to help care for the breed the way they need it we will try to get that person some Ohiki. There has been times that someone will get birds and just let them run in the yard and something will kill them and they come back asking for more of them! THAT IS WHY WE DO NOT LET THE BREED GO TO JUST ANYONE!​

Yes Chuck, that is one of the worst Pet Peeves that Toni has about the precious Ohiki.......When she hears: "my dog killed all my birds, can I get another pair?", or other careless practices..............No, that is not going to happen...That shouldn't have happened in the first place with such a precious rare breed....I agree with her 100%.............................................................Chrisf

I was hoping you guys would step in!

Just recently I decided that I wasn't ready for Ohiki, it was a hard decision, but they just need care that I don't feel i can give them right now being a student. But someday I want to get some, just now right now.

Quote:
It is not that someone is being judged as unfit or unworthy it is that we all that are working with the Ohiki are trying to protect the breed from people that do not care about what they have. Ohiki are a very rare breed as everyone knows so if we do not care for them the way we do they will be mixed with all other birds and lose the Ohiki for ever. The thing is if we see that someone is truly in it for the long hall and is looking to help care for the breed the way they need it we will try to get that person some Ohiki. There has been times that someone will get birds and just let them run in the yard and something will kill them and they come back asking for more of them! THAT IS WHY WE DO NOT LET THE BREED GO TO JUST ANYONE!

Well, if its not just anyone then who? I am not trying to be sarcastic.honestly I asked politely about the birds and was honest that I knew I would never be a "breeder"and I know you are afraid of impurities,but have you ever heard of that thing called life? Things do happen beyond your control.good or bad. I consider myself a good stuard of my birds.my are behind electric fences, but if the power went out because some drunk hit a power pole and the neighbors pitbull got loose and got through that fence then that means I don't care? I looked at your website and you have beautiful birds but and I really do wish you well with them, but if they become intangable to people I afraid its gonna be a few of you sitting around by yourself watching your chickens by yourself. Let me repeat I do not mean to offend you but what gets across on the message you relay is look but go away..........

Back
Top Bottom