OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

cluckitall, those polish are beautiful!
love.gif
And of course, the babies are too cuuute.
celebrate.gif
Way to go, Romeo and Juliet!
tongue.png

I'm very pleased with the coloration on the smooth tolbunt -- he (or she) has very nice, deep mahogany brown "base" coloration with nice lacing on the neck and breast feathers. The frizzle's coloring is a little light, and I'm going to have to give her a bath before I can really assess her feathering -- she's so grubby I can't really tell! But I am pretty sure she's a she, at least... lol!

They are! And I've decided that there really is a place in the world for inexpensive pet-quality silkies, which is all I have the time or attention to do with them right now -- the rhodebars and basques are my primary breeding focus, the swedish flower hens are "play time" as far as breeding goes -- I want them strong, healthy, productive and colorful!!! lol. Same with the isbars, really -- my main goals are productivity, egg color, health and sturdiness, and maintaining conformation for the breed rather than shooting for show quality. If I was really going to "take on" silkies, I'd want to start with much better stock than I have now, and right now it's just too big a project to bite off.

Last edited:
They are! And I've decided that there really is a place in the world for inexpensive pet-quality silkies, which is all I have the time or attention to do with them right now -- the rhodebars and basques are my primary breeding focus, the swedish flower hens are "play time" as far as breeding goes -- I want them strong, healthy, productive and colorful!!! lol. Same with the isbars, really -- my main goals are productivity, egg color, health and sturdiness, and maintaining conformation for the breed rather than shooting for show quality. If I was really going to "take on" silkies, I'd want to start with much better stock than I have now, and right now it's just too big a project to bite off.

and lets face it, just because parent stock is show quality does not mean the offspring will be.

with silkies it seems the better quality they are, the worse the overall health is - of course maybe im just getting them from the wrong place.

Wow...now I'm having trouble with the quote feature...Does anybody read Arabic, 'cuz I think that's what the quote was written in!

Cluckitall I'm so glad that you aren't giving up on Silkies!!! How can you send something so cute, cuddly and fuzzy packing? LOL...I'm ridiculously biased, but I do love ALL chickens!

Fortunately when breeding for SQ you end up with your share of PQ, although that happens less and less as you get deeper and deeper into your own lines...hopefully, anyway. I will have a few PQ roos at the Delaware swap that are left over from an unfortunate group of blacks that I purchased as "true" blacks. 2 are actually really beautiful birds...just not what I can use at this time (black with silver leakage...GORGEOUS! Anyone working on paints??? And a non-bearded black beauty...almost convinced me to start a NB pen...)

Thank you for all your prayers on those eggs that experienced the power fail! I have 3 pipped from the older group, 2 days early. Partridge eggs...for some reason this roos eggs are almost impossible to kill, lol! I bought him in PA, drove home with him and 4 ladies that were broody on 40 eggs. Those eggs rolled ALL around the poor hen's carriers on the trip back...and I had 100% hatch! Thems tuff babies! ;) The second group is due next week...praying....

All these baby pix are so awesome! Let's hatch all winter so it will always feel like spring.........................

Ok. Just on the showgirl thread! Can I tell ya how EXCITED I am about them!!!
wee.gif
ya.gif
droolin.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif
Well, you get the picture!!! ADORABLE!!! blessedchick, I'm praying your hatch is OK! I really hope to get some from you!!
fl.gif

Ok. Just on the showgirl thread!  Can I tell ya how EXCITED I am about them!!!  :weee   :ya   :drool    :yiipchick    :jumpy   :love     Well, you get the picture!!!   ADORABLE!!!  blessedchick, I'm praying your hatch is OK!  I really hope to get some from you!!  :fl  

I'll let Chicky-Chick know she created a fan? LOL. I set 5 showgirl/silkie eggs (plus a bunch of silkie and other breeds) today. All shipped and highly porous, so I'm holding my breath. Soo hoping to get at least a couple showgirls out of them. :fl :fl :fl

On a sad note.. I know losses happen, but why does it alway seem to be the best/favorites? My so-sweet black Silkie rooster, whom I was just snuggling with through the storm the other evening, I found lying dead in the coop this morning, with a broken neck. In the position he was in, Lord only knows how he managed it.. Poor little sweetheart. So sad.

Back
Top Bottom