Ok to feed raw hamburger meat?

Carolyn252

Mother of Chickens
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Freeport/NassauCounty/L.I./NY
In an effort to boost their nutrition while they are molting and have stopped laying eggs, I looked at some cans of cat food and cans of dog food at the supermarket today. Only 10% protein. Instead, I bought two pounds of raw hamburger meat. Chopped meat. Beef. 90% lean. It's 22% protein. Now for the big question: Is it ok for my hens to eat that raw, or is it best to cook it up for them first?

I don't feed raw meat of any kind, even though it's OK, to my chickens. I don't want them to get used to the taste of blood. I've read that even feeding cooked meat protein too often can make them have aggressive behavior.

However, meat protein is my go to remedy for physical weakness, and during molting too. Just have to feed small amounts with other things, like cooked grains, vegies and fruit.

I don't feed raw meat of any kind, even though it's OK, to my chickens. I don't want them to get used to the taste of blood. I've read that even feeding cooked meat protein too often can make them have aggressive behavior.

However, meat protein is my go to remedy for physical weakness, and during molting too. Just have to feed small amounts with other things, like cooked grains, vegies and fruit.

My chickens seem to get really competitive (almost aggressive) when I feed them raw meat in small amounts. But I think that's more because it's their favorite treat not so much because they get blood thirsty.
I like the idea of mixing it with veggies, I will try that next time :)

Back
Top Bottom