***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Happy New Years everyone....
yippiechickie.gif

My chickens are fenced. I have a boxer and a pit/weimeraner mix. I was really looking for a dog that would be less likely to break the chickens necks as these dogs have done in the past before I got smart and got my fences super secure. I won't put any dog in the yard with the chickens and any dog I get will be indoor/ outdoor. You definitely have a point about them wanting to run though. I have pretty good fencing here but I'd rather not deal with a dog that runs off and needs to be hunted down all the time. I guess I wanted a family pet that would be more likely to be chicken friendly and maybe protective of the chickens.

You guys convinced me with the fact that they need to roam. I can't deal with a dog that runs off all the time. I'd worry and probably with good reason. Thank you for the information.
It's not that they "need" to roam (as no dogs should do that), it's that they *will roam because most people aren't able to provide the fencing they need. The reason I have 5'-6' fencing and hot wire (used to be top and bottom both) here is because of the 6 Pyrs I had 15 & 20 yrs ago. Best dogs. Ever. But they're high maintenance. Mine were indoor/outdoor dogs also. And they have double coats that are thick as Chow coats. They shed non-stop and I'm guessing you wouldn't like that :)
The dogs and mixes you've got are high prey drive dogs. I'd love to see you get an older female mixed breed who was gentle with your son and couldn't care less about the birds. It all depends on each individual dog though, not a certain breed. My Chows would kill my birds in 1 shake if they could get to them. But the lady down the street has 2 Chows living right in with her turkey's and Silkies. They used to share the yard with baby goats, too. I don't think it even depends on training. I think 90% of it depends on the dogs set personality at birth.

It's not that they "need" to roam (as no dogs should do that), it's that they *will roam because most people aren't able to provide the fencing they need. The reason I have 5'-6' fencing and hot wire (used to be top and bottom both) here is because of the 6 Pyrs I had 15 & 20 yrs ago. Best dogs. Ever. But they're high maintenance. Mine were indoor/outdoor dogs also. And they have double coats that are thick as Chow coats. They shed non-stop and I'm guessing you wouldn't like that :)
The dogs and mixes you've got are high prey drive dogs. I'd love to see you get an older female mixed breed who was gentle with your son and couldn't care less about the birds. It all depends on each individual dog though, not a certain breed. My Chows would kill my birds in 1 shake if they could get to them. But the lady down the street has 2 Chows living right in with her turkey's and Silkies. They used to share the yard with baby goats, too. I don't think it even depends on training. I think 90% of it depends on the dogs set personality at birth. I can't have a hot fence because I have children. You guys were the voice of reason.
Yeah I realize they are prey driven dogs. I had them long before I got the chickens. That's why I don't blame them for doing what comes natural. I just make sure they can't get to my chickens. I can't have a female dog because my boxer is too dominate. She doesn't mind male dogs, but get her with a female on her turf and she gets territorial. I think maybe I will work on building my flock and then see if I still want another dog after that. I talked to a few people about Great Pyrenees and the only thing mentioned was the grooming/shedding. I assumed a dog that large would be a a lot to handle and need a lot of training. I did assume that as long as they got excersise they would stay in the yard. I'm glad people on this list could be brutally honest. Better forewarned then have regrets after I have a forever dog.

Last edited:
City of Norman animal shelter had one last weekend. I am getting a Goldn Retriever /G.P. mix that is about 1 1/2 yrs old from there. The adoption fee is about $60.

Back
Top Bottom