***OKIES in the BYC III ***

If it ain't tied down out there you can kiss it goodbye! Did chores as fast as I could this morning, that wind is TOO much for me. Wears me out and makes me sneeze!

Good to hear your girl is doing better @artsyrobin !

@NotSuperWoman I have a styrofoam incubator empty at the moment that you can borrow. I will need it back later this spring but you could have it long enough for one hatch. I have a turner, too, and I have had bantam eggs in it before so I know it works. I get decent hatches in it, probably 80% on eggs that I know are good.

The Atwoods style styrofoam one is kind of standard size and a good deal for the price. You can get the little Brinsea type that only hold 7-20 eggs depending on the model but they are much pricier.

If it ain't tied down out there you can kiss it goodbye! Did chores as fast as I could this morning, that wind is TOO much for me. Wears me out and makes me sneeze!

Good to hear your girl is doing better @artsyrobin !

@NotSuperWoman I have a styrofoam incubator empty at the moment that you can borrow. I will need it back later this spring but you could have it long enough for one hatch. I have a turner, too, and I have had bantam eggs in it before so I know it works. I get decent hatches in it, probably 80% on eggs that I know are good.

The Atwoods style styrofoam one is kind of standard size and a good deal for the price. You can get the little Brinsea type that only hold 7-20 eggs depending on the model but they are much pricier.

@lonnyandrinda We did lose the roof to my kids playhouse and I'm really worried about the shed roof.

My poor Bantam OEG roo is getting pushed around by the wind! He can't stand in one place at all. He is hiding out in the feed hut. The Silkies are holding their own though with the wind and don't seem affected by it at all. They are in the most unsheltered part of the run scratching around and seem happy.

I appreciate the offer. Betsy and I conversed by email. She recommended that I just leave the eggs there and see if the hen goes broody again after she lays a few more. We really want chicks from this pair. If she does not go broody I might ask you to add some of these eggs to your next hatch. I do plan on getting another hen if I can keep this roo, so I will have more hatching eggs (hopefully). :) I just hope we don't get in over our head with chicks. This is for 4H projects.

Have a blessed day!

caf.gif
Taking a break. Yesterday and today I have been stapling cardboard to the inside of my brood house. It has never been winterized because until this year I haven't had broody hens hatching eggs in brutal weather. Believe or not cardboard is an excellent insulator. Years ago I volunteered for the Coalition fo the Homeless in Denver, and putting several cardboard boxes together really did make a difference in the cold out on the street. (Of course we tried to find beds in shelters for most of them, but I did try the cardboard box house and it was amazing/w no wind and enough cover was quite warm. However, I never stayed on the streets all night) It was quite an experience and I really need to write about it sometime. Poco will have to be my editor since I can't spell and my grammer is terrible.
roll.png

WHAT TIME IS THE AUCTION IN COWETA TOMORROW. I AM GOING TO TAKE SOME DUCKS. Just to much to do right now to process them, although they are 98% fat free and really do taste like beef. I think I have 3 or 4 in the freezer and I have two duck laying now so I'll hatch out a few. Never , ever, over 100 again! Of Now I am only keeping two hens though. Maybe they'll even have a goose I can buy. I know I said no auctions ever, but I'm getting desperate. I find them out there but they are so far away. My daughter lives in Inola, so I can visit.
Dusti, those embdens are in Enid if you want to drive that far. Well, it's time to go back and do some more. My hens are tired og being in cages with thei babies. The wind has caused so much more work because there are tree branches everywhere, It might have to stay that way for awhile.

@hotcurlr auction starts at 6 pm. They start with equipment, then hatching eggs, then chicks, then birds in the order they were signed in. But you can walk down the sale line and see if there are any geese.

The Coweta auction is held at the Wagoner Country Fairgrounds barn. Take Hwy 72 into Coweta. Go East on E. Pecan Street, which is also called E. 147 St. South. You'll go across the railroad tracks. The white barn building is on the right. There is a white pipe entrance with a sign over it: Wagoner County Fairgrounds. The sale begins at 6:00 p.m. If you're bringing birds to sell, they start checking in cages around noon.

If you go too far you'll end up at a "T" intersection, and you'll be facing Coweta High School. The high school is on S. 305th E. Ave.

Here's the info for the Coweta auction. Thank you Poco Pollo for such detailed info! I know I would get lost without it!!! I will be going to the auction tomorrow night as well. They posted they will have a lot of poultry and there will be a trio of SFH I would like to take a look at. I don't have any cages and only a dog crate. I will be taking some chickens of my own (cockerels). Would anyone have any cages I can borrow? I only will need two. I would greatly appreciate it!

Just had the craziest thing I ever saw day before yesterday (Or was it yesterday? I can't remember. My days are running together this week.) Hatched a batch of eggs for a friend of ours and one of the bantam chicks two toes were fused together by skin. On both feet! She said she wouldn't be able to use the chick for breeding so she let me have it. Cute little thing! So I separated the toes and it is walking just fine now. The middle toes are curved and I thought about putting shoes on them to straighten them out but I decided it needs to still learn to walk with three toes now so I wont over do it just yet.

My Cream Legbar chicks are still doing good. The one brown male died very quickly as soon as it started symptoms. It was breathing hard like the female. The female I gave deramyacin water in a syringe several times a day for two days. I read someone else did this and their chick lived. So far she is still good. Not breathing as hard but I still see her little rear moving as she inhales/exhales. She is more alert and running around more, eating better and drinking more. I'm not sure how far out of the woods we are but she has improved. The other boy is doing good and not showing anything is wrong. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the incubator had bacteria in it as they were hatching. I have read that they can get some bacteria in their blood as they are absorbing it from the membrane. If this is the case then antibiotics should help. Just thought I would put this out there incase anyone else has this issue with chicks come up.

Good idea True on the Duramycin.

As far as cages- if you have any spare chicken wire laying around you can cut the top and one side off a cardboard box, then zip tie or wire clip some chicken wire onto the box leaving a gap to put the cockerel in. Then you don't have to worry about retrieving a cage but people can still see the bird.

Rinda

MJ..Congratulations on the laying hen.

My two white hens were sitting together today under the 10 hole nest box...they prefer to lay on the ground.

Today's pictures:
The Delaware Cock admires his chicks and then begins to help feed them

Now listen closely about feeder etiquette and meet the huge family....Dad, Aunts and big sisters.

Practicing our newly learned skills....

Finally all seven chicks under the Wyandotte hen,,3 Cochins, 2 Wyandotte, 1 Buckeye and 1 Cochin/Wyandotte

I think this one's name has to be Piggy

This cow had this little heifer three times today...every time she got up, she had her rear to the wind..... lol
the cow in the foreground in the second picture is a really big heavy bred cow enjoying the sunshine.

She is really sacked out...did not move until we started to leave.

MJ..Congratulations on the laying hen.

My two white hens were sitting together today under the 10 hole nest box...they prefer to lay on the ground.

Today's pictures:
The Delaware Cock admires his chicks and then begins to help feed them

Now listen closely about feeder etiquette and meet the huge family....Dad, Aunts and big sisters.

Practicing our newly learned skills....

Finally all seven chicks under the Wyandotte hen,,3 Cochins, 2 Wyandotte, 1 Buckeye and 1 Cochin/Wyandotte

I think this one's name has to be Piggy

This cow had this little heifer three times today...every time she got up, she had her rear to the wind..... lol
the cow in the foreground in the second picture is a really big heavy bred cow enjoying the sunshine.

She is really sacked out...did not move until we started to leave.
Love the pictures! The Delawares are awesome!
lau.gif
WRT the triple birth. Poor heifer! Hopefully she is doing well. I love it when the heavier bred cows lay like that - many times I can see the baby bulge move.

The wind was indeed killer today, I was so happy to see it die down this afternoon.

I am a big fan of the Big Bang Show and think that Sheldon's mom has true control over "Shelly" as she calls him. lol My little mama hen has hatched some eggs this evening, haven't been able to see them, but can hear them. Hopefully I can get some pictures in the next couple of days to post.

jumpy.gif

Kathryn

Back
Top Bottom