***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I was set to do beak repairs today, but it's been raining all day. I tried to shelter my baby barred rocks from the rain again today but they were having none of it. I thought they were afraid of the covered kitty litter box at first, so I put them in there. They came back out within seconds. Obviously, they don't care at all about getting wet. I put a second small dog porter in the bigger run for the teenage chickens so they'd have more room, but they all just huddled in one again. I'm done worrying about it. Chickens are hilarious! I'm sure they laugh at me, too.

Last edited:
I was set to do beak repairs today, but it's been raining all day. I tried to shelter my baby barred rocks from the rain again today but they were having none of it. I thought they were afraid of the covered kitty litter box at first, so I put them in there. They came back out within seconds. Obviously, they don't care at all about getting wet. I put a second small dog porter in the bigger run for the teenage chickens so they'd have more room, but they all just huddled in one again. I'm done worrying about it. Chickens are hilarious! I'm sure they laugh at me, too.

My chickens had a dry spot in their old coop and it was useless
1f602.png
it never failed that I'd come outside to see soaked, drowned Rat looking birds after a rain. Fortunately we've added a tin roof to their new coop and they stay nice and dry now!

@Poco Pollo especially, I have the cross girls in the nakeds pen so they don't run w/ all the "free range" back yard, chickens. They live w/ the young ones, nakeds, gimpies, and rabbits, which is a series of yard / runs so they can be left open or shut off as needed. Anyway I was giving them watermelon and cantaloupe rinds yesterday, I had them in a very big bowl that was full of rinds so very heavy. I cut them in small 2 - 3 inch pieces so everyone can get some. As soon as I put the bowl on the ground to shut the gate the largest cross girl perched on the side of the bowl to help herself, she insisted on "riding" on the rim as I carried the watermelon and her from area to area.

They are still very active and get into and on everything. Regularly getting on things that are 2 - 3 feet high. I really think the two smaller ones are white rocks.

I think I have the only subterraneum chickens, they have discovered the rabbit holes and much cooler, so they spend a lot of time in the bigger community holes the rabbits make.

These boys are vacationing @Poco Pollo resort- if anyone is in need of a sweet bantam cochin for thier flocks! The white one is carrying a frizzle gene

Last edited:
Hi JayMatoes! Welcome to the Okie thread.

@artsyrobin - Oreo is such a romantic. When his ladies walk away, he sings them a song. They don't dance with him, but they do listen.

Was good to see several of our group at the poultry swap in Skiatook Saturday. I'd have had a really hard time if Cathiesue hadn't immediately pitched in to help me, and made up for the shade material I'd left behind at home. Then she worked just as hard to help me tear down. I finally realized why it was so much harder than usual; under this kind of circumstance, Vashi has always been there to help me before.

The feed store is planning to hold another swap in September. It's a good location.

Back
Top Bottom