***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I enjoyed seeing everyone tonight at Blanchard... Not alot of birds. lots of junk, and yes the prices were high..
Blue Ameracaunas were selling for $20-$35 each
Ducks $9-$22 Each
Coronation Sussex Pair $22 Each
Chocolate Guineas $17-$18 Each

I took home lots of boyfriends for my Ducks..lol

I left as it was finishing up I don't have a watch to turn back in a half hour so don't know what time I left really,
Raining real well the ditches were flooded east of Lex so maybe I will end up with some water in my pond,
Was good to see everyone I escaped without buying anything LOL There wasn't a single Welsummer Roo there I don't think there were any hens either or I missed them maybe,

Had a good time at Blanchard. Lots of junk, but I understand they have to sell stuff to make it worth while. Enjoyed seeing BYCers and other folks. Sold a pair of pigeons that did better than I thought they would. A nice cage that didnt bring near what i thought it would. Bought 2 game roosters, 2 barrels and a fan for my incubator. All in all it was a good time. Drove home in rain all the way.

Are you thinking one you could use to process for others, or one to loan or rent out so others could process for themselves? If the former, it would have to be USDA inspected and approved. That's pretty expensive, and there would have to be sufficient demand to pay for itself. If the latter, that's a piece of cake. We could each purchase our own elements (plucker, cooler tubs, processing table, scalder, and killing cone setup) for it to loan to each other, then charge others who want the whole setup.

You could charge two prices. One just to rent the setup out, and one where we would "help" the customer process their own birds, thus avoiding the USDA rule requirements.

Hey Buster, We were thinking about making one others could use to process their own birds. The idea is to make a kind of moble processing unit with the everything all together on a trailer to just hitch up and take where ever there be birds that need to be keelt. hehehe! We were thinking stainless steel for most everything. The scaulder would have a propane heater with one of those small bottles attached. Bill has a stainless steel table we can use for processing. We were thinking if we could find on of those stainless steel sinks you see in restaurants or cafeterias would be great for cooling tubs. Plus we could have where you just hook a garden hose so you can use the sink as a sink as well.
I do know about how we would charge a fee. Personally I have been thinking of a maintance fee or something like that.

What do you use to make the recyled coops? And how easy are they to make? Can I do it myself without DH? He's not much into my chicken projects. I sure could use a few more? Ha!

There are tons of things to use to build coops. If you can get ahold of pvc pipe, a few tarps and some chicken wire you can build some easy chicken tractors. Pallets make great coops and they are free, free, free. Freecycle is a great place because you can even request materials and stuff. I actually got a metal storage building for free on Freecycle. I need to get it put up as my second coop. I know a lot of people who have found really cool stuff on the free section on craigslist. If you go to google and type in "coops made from recycled materials", there is a plethora of great ideas.

Buster have you checked the farm diversification grant out? The info is at Oklahoma dept of ag site. They will fund your processing center if you do the paper work, I think if you are needing more than $5000 you have to put up 50% of the money.
Humm, that would be an awesome idea. Buster if you want we can work on the grant together. I have written a few grants in my time. I am thinking for a complete processing center with trailer, we are probably looking at closer to $4000, maybe a bit more. Just depends on if we can use recycled items or not. What do you think?

More the latter really, I have the trailer a couple of stainless sinks and a prep table that I can mount on it I'm still working on the plucker and considering what to make the floor of the trailer out of so it will be easy to clean and not slippery when wet,

Getting ready to leave for Blanchard in a while, See everyone there :)

Bill I totally forgot you had the two stainless steel sinks. As for the floor I have a couple of ideas but I am thinking going with the metal floor and get some of those industrial no slip mats for the floor (you know the one used in restaurants in front of the sinks. That would solve the problem of slippery floors. Unfortunately I am thinking the floor is going to have to be stainless, as well. What are your thoughts on that?

Howdy
frow.gif

Its currently 29 but "decent" enough to get the kids bundled up and outside to start what would be one of many weekends getting the farmstead cleaned up and looking good. I got so darn tempted yesterday to put in a chick order...(added 50 to the cart but didn't check out..lol) but realized we need to close first... its one thing to clean up a property another to order a crap load of babies and then the sale doesn't happen... that would suck.... I did get spoiled this morning by the sound of Guineas.... Old Man John across the road raises them and they decided to come check our yard today... immediately Adrian our weenie(although she looks more like a sausage since we caught her eating the cat food too) was checking them out and getting protective over them... I think she misses having feathered babies around... in due time... in due time...

I hope yall are enjoying your Saturday.... Miss yall

Jeannie

A Misplaced Okie... Thanks to the Army
Good luck on closing on your place. Sending good juju your way.
fl.gif

Our little bull calf has been named Bubba, Bubba Burger is his whole name, my mother was over last weekend, when I told her his name she said are you realy going to eat him? Told her thats the plan, so she will know what her steaks and burgers and named when she cooks them. She must be getting more tender hearted with age, we used to raise calves to butcher when I was younger.
When I see DH petting him and scratching him, I ask if he is getting attached, his reply "nope, just tenderizing "
ROTFLMAO!!!!
yuckyuck.gif
So next time he is petting the dog or one of the other animals you should ask if he is planning on eating them as well. Hahahha!!

Hey Mitzi! That little girl looks familiar!
smile.png
is that the one from here?
Don't have much time on here nowadays for some family issues but will still try for poops!
On my wish list are Cochins, project americochins
wink.png
pretty much anything w feather legs
smile.png

Nice to see you on Firefly! So send me a PM on what type of cochins you are looking for. As for the ameracochin project still getting everyone situated and will hopefully start having first gens hatching by May. That's the goal at least.

Thats a nice BLRW , need to breed him to dark bluered laced hens to bring that high color down.
Those four orlofts are beautiful! Thats the first of the mahogany variety I've seen.
Finally caught up,I was 146 post behind! Went to the Elkton Ky. sale today. It just keeps growing. You wouldn't know there was a recession going on from the stuff people buy and the prices they pay!
I bought a nice dwarf buck wabbit for $12 ,with a pedigree. It helped that I knew who brought it so knew it had to be good. He is a whole 1 and a half pounds ! Has already proven his manhood! Also bought 10 crossbreed baby chicks,I have a few hatching at my buddys so figured I'd add enough to make it worth setting up a brooder. Got rid of 60 pigeons,that will sure help the feed bill,still have 15-20 to go. My buddy bought a trio of light brahmas at another sale a few weeks back for $10 each,resold them today for $21 each! It was a beautiful day here,supposed to be in the 70s all next week. Time to break out the short britches! Have a great evening all!

You need to bring your rabbits here to sell. Dang rabbits are going for a bung load of money lately. A cute calico spotted white rex rabbit went for over $50 tonight. I don't think any rabbits went for under $15 dollars. Even the little ones were high.

There was not very many birds there tonight and I thought that the prices were a high for then hens. I also thought that they had way too much other stuff, did not start selling birds until around 8pm. I left at 9ish. Anybody stay until it was all gone or done.

Yes I let me just say I am going to be paying for it for a few days. I made Jerry sale all the crap I bought because I did not want to deal with it next week. Might ever bring some more. Just don't know yet. The crap is a double edge sword. I don't like waiting around for the birds because of it but is sure was nice being able to get rid of some stuff and making a bit of money, to boot. I went til after midnight.

I enjoyed seeing everyone tonight at Blanchard... Not alot of birds. lots of junk, and yes the prices were high..
Blue Ameracaunas were selling for $20-$35 each
Ducks $9-$22 Each
Coronation Sussex Pair $22 Each
Chocolate Guineas $17-$18 Each

I took home lots of boyfriends for my Ducks..lol
Bird prices were very high tonight.

I left as it was finishing up I don't have a watch to turn back in a half hour so don't know what time I left really,
Raining real well the ditches were flooded east of Lex so maybe I will end up with some water in my pond,
Was good to see everyone I escaped without buying anything LOL There wasn't a single Welsummer Roo there I don't think there were any hens either or I missed them maybe,
Wow, you did not buy anything! Wish I could say the same thing but am fairly okay with the stuff I got since I left with a lot more money then I came with. Whoot! Whoot!

Well it is now 4 am and I am very flipping tired. Hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the weekend. Will probably be sleeping off the rest of mine.

Hey Elwood Lightfoot,
Too bad you are not closer to southern oklahoma, I got rid of a grown wellie roo yesterday , gave him to the guy that bought some wellie hens and pullets
( he was recently dethroned and had to be seperated from the bad a-- rooster that kept him beat to a pulp), But now he will be the only rooster on their place,
have 3 more cockrels that are about 5 weeks old and wellie eggs in the incubator due to hatch out March 15th.

Hey Elwood Lightfoot,
Too bad you are not closer to southern oklahoma, I got rid of a grown wellie roo yesterday , gave him to the guy that bought some wellie hens and pullets
( he was recently dethroned and had to be seperated from the bad a-- rooster that kept him beat to a pulp), But now he will be the only rooster on their place,
have 3 more cockrels that are about 5 weeks old and wellie eggs in the incubator due to hatch out March 15th.

If you are planning to come to POOPS you guys could still work something out.

Raining here this morning & cool. Sure wish I could of gotten alittle more done yesterday. As it stands I am pretty sore from all the hard work! Got seveal scratches & one scraped knuckle. I am going to look for the POOPS information post since I don't have it on my computer here at home.

PEOPLE OF OKLAHOMA POULTRY SWAP "2012" OFFICIAL EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT"

WHEN:
Saturday, May 5th 2012, start time 8:00 a.m. to 6 p.m.

WHERE: CHOCTAW CREEK PARK, CHOCTAW OKLAHOMA.
The park is located on Harper Drive in Choctaw. It is six miles North of the KOA, where we have had events in the past and about seven miles North of Interstate 40.It is about one quarter mile south of NE 23rd Street in Choctaw. We will have more detailed directions later.
WHO: All members and participants of the " OKIES IN THE BYC", their families and invited friends. The underlying theme this year is "SIMPLE IS SUPER."

1. FOOD: This year we will be featuring another delectable pot luck dinner. We are going with the idea of a giant picnic.Hamburgers, hot dogs, hot links, some bbq etc. will be provided. Additional foods will be needed. (Chips, potato salad, salads, baked beans etc,)
2. Poultry: The usual fanatical buying/selling/swapping of poultry. There will not be a live auction this year, although depending on what we receive, we might set some items up in a Silent Bid Auction.
3.Raffle: We will be holding the raffle as in the past and it will be sure to entice all members of the family.

4. T-shirts are available to order.

5. There will be lots of fun and fellowship with our great Okie friends sure to entertain. We encourage those that want to set up displays with their interests to please do so. We are setting up different time slots where plan to have discussions with question and answer sessions. If you want to participate on a panel or have ideas for the discussion please let me know. There are people that I have asked or will be asking to be on a panel to address concerns and questions as related to the aspect of owning and keeping poultry.
Several of our members have happily offered to give freely of their time. They will head up the following areas of interest. We also need additional volunteers to help with some of the areas that require more support, Please contact Monty (Buckguy20) or Carah (Sooner) if you would like to offer your services. For those that have already volunteered, I will be in contact with you..

CONTACTS:
Carah (Sooner) : Food and Beverages. Contact Sooner with your ideas, dishes, and help. An online list will be started and circulated around our thread. It is very important to the success of this event that everyone participates and brings food.
NanaKat: Raffle. She will post about the raffle donations, please contact her with your items. Ideas for the Raffle: Chickens of all breeds & ages, Chicks, hatching eggs of all kinds, ducks, peafowl, rabbits, turkeys, quail, cages, waterers, feeders, incubators, wire, netting.
Arts & crafts, nic-nacs, and any other related items.
Also,any fun type things especially things that appeal to kids.

Beth (cityclucks): Name Tags, online attendance roster, clerical support, and welcoming table.

Carah (Sooner): Tee Shirts- 3 color Designs are now in the works.
A size and Quantity order list will be posted soon. Get your order in early, NO $$$$ will be needed in advance to order.

***** NEEDED ITEM'S & SUPPORT VOLENTEERS *******

These are a few things that we always seem to be in need of at all of our events, If you have something you would like to let us use/borrow we sure could use them. We will continue to also update this list as we get items and find thing's we are in need of, so check back often.

1. Tables of all sizes, chairs.
2. Volunteers for help in setting up, taking down and clean up.
3. Raffle items.
4. FOOD, FOOD, and MORE FOOD.
5. Ice Chests, Coolers, Large beverage Jug's.
6. Tarps and ropes

Back
Top Bottom