***OKIES in the BYC III ***

We look forward to seeing everyone there tomorrow. We will a wide variety of birds and even some show cages! Jamie is even making beans and her cornbread to go with the weather!

Oh NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I just watched "The Angels Take Manhattan"
hit.gif

i can't make myself watch it... i really like amy and rory!!!

Black Bean Soup

Ingredients

* 10 slices bacon, finely chopped
* 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
* 6 garlic cloves, pressed
* 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1 1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
* 2 tablespoons ketchup
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 4 (15 1/2-ounce) cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 bunch cilantro
* juice of 1/2 lime
* Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
* Sour cream, for garnish
* Grated cheddar, for garnish

Directions

Put the bacon into a large heavy pot and place it over medium heat. Cook until it starts to give up its fat, about 4 minutes. Stir in the onions and cook, stirring, until they start to turn translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until you can smell it, about 1 minute.

Add the broth, tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire, and chili powder. Stir in the beans, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so the soup is bubbling gently and cook 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, pick off all the thick stems from the cilantro. Wash it and shake dry. Chop the cilantro coarsely and stir it into the soup when it has been simmering 10 minutes. cook until the soup is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Serve with the garnishes.

I will try that black bean soup recipe! No fresh cilantro on hand, but I bought cilantro cubes in the Hispanic section curious to try them out. Pretty sure with bacon & sour cream it must be a good recipe.
DH & Alexis actually both ate some black eyed peas without fussing. Taron refuses to try anything with beans, but loves bean burritos. I don't get it.

This is one of our favorite soups, good enough for guests. Don't overlook the lemon.

Red Lentil Soup

Adapted from A Beautiful Bowl of Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon cumin
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 3/4 cups red lentils, picked over and rinsed
3 14-oz cans chicken broth (or an equal amount of vegetable broth)
1 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
Additional lemon wedges

Garnishes:
aleppo pepper
cilantro leaves

1. Saute the garlic and onion over medium heat until the onion is tanslucent. Add the cumin and coriander, saute briefly, then add the lentils, chicken broth, and carrots.

2. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the lentils are soft which will take about 30 to 45 minutes.

3. Stir in the cup of water, stirring to smooth the soup a little. Bring it back to a boil, remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice. Taste for seasoning. I found that I needed no additional salt -- the canned broth provided enough.

4. Serve garnished with aleppo pepper and cilantro leaves. Pass lemon wedges for those who want to add additional lemon.

Serves 6

A very geeky cookbook aside: this recipe for red lentil soup is based mainly on one for shorbet adds, an Egyptian soup, from A Beautiful Bowl of Soup. Last weekend as my soup simmered on the stove, a thought occurred to me and I pulled my copy of Aromas of Aleppo: The Legendary Cuisine of Syrian Jews off the shelf. Sure enough, there was a recipe for shurbat addes, described as a thick and hearty red lentil soup with garlic and coriander, it was flavored with aleppo pepper, cumin, cilantro, and lemon. Intrigued, I checked Jewish Food: The World at Table and found a similar recipe for shorba addes or sour red lentil soup. In Sephardic Flavors: Jewish Cooking of the Mediterranean I found a recipe for sopa de lentejas colorada another red lentil soup flavored with cumin, cayenne, and lemon juice or vinegar. It's a red lentil soup that gets around.

I dont have any red lentils, but will be sure to pick some up soon. I have tried several lentil soups & haven't found one that my family loves. There is a lentil dish i make with a Mexican spin, that we eat on tortillas. That is the only lentil dish I have ever gotten my family to eat.
Right now I have 1 lb of black beans simmering on the stove to make the black bean soup for lunch. Smells pretty yummy.
When I DH walked out the door to go to work all the dogs tried to make their way inside to get warm. It's pretty chilly outside. Y'all stay warm!!!

Good Saturday morning to everybody! It`s 45°F and cloudy here this morning! Is it too early to say Brrrrr?

This is a variation of my feed mix, I just added some greens, diced tomato and dry cat food to the boiled eggs seasoned w/ Cayenne Pepper, I will add the scratch grains and crumbles when I get down to the barn.

I hope y`all have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom