On the term "show quality"

Oh wow then that means I can now list mine as show quality birds because we came home with tons of ribbons. But I would also agree with seminolewind just because they win at a show does not mean they will breed show quality birds. I think it is like that in any animal you can have the most beautiful birds or animals but they don't always produce as well as themselves. IT is the birds or animals which can win in the shows but also produce as well as theirselves or better that you want to buy from or breed from. We won first place and best of breed and best of show on our silkies and we did not even breed them a friend gave them to my daughter. But they are beautiful birds. I guess I should add I fell in love with the Grand Champion over all their division Black Jersey Giants so I purchase the pair to breed and see how they produce. My son like wise fell in love with the Winner of the Cochin group and purchased them. Now we have to test them and see how they produce. I think my family is becoming(okay I think we already are) addicted to chickens...we have over 100 birds and building more houses for them. Husband has decided he want to do a chicken type theme park for them....hmmmm Addiction for chickens do you go to CA for that?

Last edited:
Just another opinion to add to the group...

I've always interpretted "show quality" to mean they'll be qualified to enter in a show, not they'd they necessarily take home ribbons. To me that would be "Champion Quality" or "Blue Ribbon Quality" or something along those lines.

In other words, Show Quality to me says they're not mixed breed or otherwise seriously faulted by type or breed to the extent that they'd be disqualified from a show category.

cool.png

That said, I don't believe I've ever put 'show quality' in my ads. I do mention that several of my birds have won BB and BV, though.

I think most in my family are addicted to chickens tonight we were looking at a hatchery site. By the way they show theirs so we were interested in them of course.
lol.png
We were safe they are closed to orders for the year.

If we all breed to the APA and ABA standard then we will all have SHOW QUALITY;) birds are judged on how well they meat the description of the breed.
smile.png

As a breeder of Show Dogs, I have learned the exact same thing exists in the dog show world. Even breeding 2 Show Quality dogs who have their championship/ OFA X-ray/ perfect health/ and so on..... there is no way to assure someone a young pup will turn out to be show quality. I have seen bites that start off with a perfect scissor bite turn into a over bite or under bite in the first year and vice versa. I have sold "Pet" quality pups because of only a bad bite at 8 weeks old and then one year later, the bite turns into a perfect scissor bite! Ha Oh well! I show my dogs in conformation and agility by the way.
I guess the same is true in all animals. As they are young, many muscles and bones are developing the first year and are subject to change. You can not 100% assure someone a young hen or roo will turn out show quality. And as far as that person listed breeding an Americana to a white bird and then calling the offspring show quality is oh so funny! That's when you hope a buyer will do his homework before purchasing a particular breed. I've seen people do the same thing in the dog world as far as buying from breeders without knowing the standard of the breed, buy from someone claiming to sell a show quality pup and when describing the parents,,,it's only obvious that one parent sounds impossible to be within the breed standard again,,,,you must do your homework when purchasing a show quality and references of good breeders are always the way to go.
Okay,,,off my soapbox now....Hope you guys are having a good holiday season so far!
Julie Sanchez
smile.png

I keep seeing "Show quality eggs" and laughing to myself, because nobody SHOWS EGGS.

Though maybe we should start a forum topic for pretty egg shows
wink.png

-Spooky

Quote:
In dogs, though, it's accepted that the term "show quality" only assures that the pup does not have, nor will it develop any disqualifying faults or heritable conditions that would prevent it from being shown or cause it to be disqualified from competition.

Most reasonable people realize that no breeder has a crystal ball, and can't KNOW that a dog will become a champion. Some breeders, especially those who have been breeding a long time, and really know their dogs, will guarantee "champion quality." Those contracts are usually a mile long, with many requirements over how/when/where/by whom the pup is to be shown, for how long, etc. The contract is usually structured so that IF the new owner meets all the requirements set forth for having the dog shown, and it still doesn't finish, then the breeder will offer a replacement pup or some other compensation.

Some very confident breeders even go so far as to guarantee that a pup is "SPECIALS QUALITY," meaning not only that it will be a champion, but that it will be competitive in Best of Breed competitions, hopefully going on to win Groups and BIS.

All this blathering to say that all I would expect from a breeding of "show quality" chickens is that they are probably not hatchery birds or from hatchery stock, and that a reasonable number of the chicks will be free from disqualifying or major faults. If buying adult or started birds, I'd expect them to be free of major or disqualifying faults at the time of purchase. No one can predict the future.

All this blathering to say that all I would expect from a breeding of "show quality" chickens is that they are probably not hatchery birds or from hatchery stock, and that a reasonable number of the chicks will be free from disqualifying or major faults. If buying adult or started birds, I'd expect them to be free of major or disqualifying faults at the time of purchase. No one can predict the future.

I agree completely. Even non-show quality, even on occasion, hatchery, birds sometimes produce spectacular offspring. Genes are so fascinating and sometimes, quite unpredictable. The odds of great offspring are greatly increased with excellent breeder stock that meets the Standard, but never guaranteed.​

Back
Top Bottom