Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Pics
I have the brighter colored one done and ready for the next round, whatever that is. I put it on my bed to show the size, coincidentally over the winter medallion quilt I made a few years ago. And then, I put the softer colored Carpenter's Wheel over it and used the dark gold border to sub for the green one that I will be adding to that one and placed the Acanthus blocks around it to show the size it will be at that stage, if that makes sense.

DSC00879.JPG

And, placing the other one over this one, allowing the gold border to show (*which will be green on this 2nd quilt), placing those 14" blocks around it. I rather like this.
DSC00881.JPG

I am stuck on what to use for a narrow border on this one so I can do a round of something, then a final border. I don't want this to end up queen sized. But, what color can I border this with that will look good with the gold and the dark olive green and cream? It's just a divider between this portion and the next round. Sorry about the red and green quilt in the background. Well, maybe doing exactly what is there on that underneath quilt, but in the proper colors would work out, but what do you quilters think?
dsc00879-jpg.1232489

Maybe a shade of brown (not a print unless it's tiny and reads like a solid). Here are three shades of brown I have to show, don't have many browns here. Not sure I like brown, but what else?
DSC00883.JPG

Last edited:
I really like the bottom quilt (The softer one) it has really developed into a beautiful cover...

The narrow border is really hard... especially since the next band of blocks needs to coordinate again... do you have any black or near black to set along it? It seems that this quilt keeps trying to be bold, so maybe go with something stark like black or really deep red.
If you want to soften it so the bold center stands out then look at a creamy or pastel color like butter cream yellow or more of the almost white...then a lot of softer colors could work around the outside blocks and act as a background frame for the bold center.

I really like the bottom quilt (The softer one) it has really developed into a beautiful cover...

The narrow border is really hard... especially since the next band of blocks needs to coordinate again... do you have any black or near black to set along it? It seems that this quilt keeps trying to be bold, so maybe go with something stark like black or really deep red.
If you want to soften it so the bold center stands out then look at a creamy or pastel color like butter cream yellow or more of the almost white...then a lot of softer colors could work around the outside blocks and act as a background frame for the bold center.

I do have black and, of course, the eggplant purple, which is almost black, but I brought my artist husband in to see what he thought. He started at it for awhile and he thinks the same cream that the large half-squares are made of would work, said that he saw a lighter color being used there. So sounds like what you said in that last paragraph. I don't think I have enough of that to do even a narrow border with without piecing it like crazy and maybe not even then, but I got that at Walmart and maybe they have more of it or something really close. I've seen it numerous times on the shelf. I'll take a piece and try to match it. Thanks, Karen!

I think I have an idea for the softer hued "Buttercup" quilt (thanks to 1muttsfan for calling it that because of the colors in it).
After I get the 2" border and all the 14" surrounding blocks attached, I'm going to put on a 3" border to get the measurement up to about 45" square. Then, I'll do a round of this 9" block, called Wandering Star; should take 24 of them if I get the measurements right. Nice of quilterscache to put it in similar colors to what I'll need for it, wasn't it? It will be a full/queen size since it obviously already goes to the edges of my queen size bed. The other one, I'm going to have to make smaller than that so not much more I can add to it or it will end up being larger than I want it.
WanderingStar.gif

My fabrics arrived. They all appear to be what I expected and, also as expected, the one in the rust category is more reddish to me than an actual rust, a shade I really like, that rusty-red color. The lighter gold is the same as one I'm using now in one of the quilts, miraculously still in their stock. I looked for the dark olive to no avail. If it was there, I just never came across it, no matter how I did the search. Too bad, it's so pretty. And the purple is just to add to my purple stash, that and green being my favorite colors and color combination.
*first pic, far right was in the rust category on the site, but you can see it hovers over the line into red*
DSC00885.JPG
DSC00886.JPG
DSC00887.JPG
DSC00884.JPG

Possible project for the future is this Jinny Beyer Navajo Bargello Quilt. Not sure in what color I'll do it, though, but I've wanted to do a bargello quilt for years and was always intimidated. I usually design my own, but this is so gorgeous.
Navajo+winter+at+jinnybeyer.com.jpg

7cfb1ae4660bbe57f5968c03d08790de.jpg
**** I may wimp out on it, though it's just two blocks in different positions.

I think I have an idea for the softer hued "Buttercup" quilt (thanks to 1muttsfan for calling it that because of the colors in it).
After I get the 2" border and all the 14" surrounding blocks attached, I'm going to put on a 3" border to get the measurement up to about 45" square. Then, I'll do a round of this 9" block, called Wandering Star; should take 24 of them if I get the measurements right. Nice of quilterscache to put it in similar colors to what I'll need for it, wasn't it? It will be a full/queen size since it obviously already goes to the edges of my queen size bed. The other one, I'm going to have to make smaller than that so not much more I can add to it or it will end up being larger than I want it.
WanderingStar.gif

That block looks like a great finish frame for the butter cup center.

That block looks like a great finish frame for the butter cup center.

It has movement so I think it will work, though the movement shows more when you make an entire quilt of them, but it's an easy block the right size, win-win.

As for the bargello quilts, you could spend a lifetime doing one quilt type in a myriad of color combinations and I know some folks do specialize in a particular type of quilt, but I'm not sure I could do only one kind repeatedly, even in different colors. I may consider it a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom