Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Pics
Okay, here I go again. One of the greens that I thought would work really is too bright and it doesn't really show that way until I use my camera and flash. My house is very dark today because it's pouring rain, so I realize this is not the ideal way to pick fabrics.
Here are possibilities of fabrics I have for the border around the Carpenter's Wheel (buttercup). I'm not fond of some, but I'm throwing them up for your gut reaction, Karen or anyone else who'd like to chime in. Poor Karen, being my consultant for this quilt! I'm sorry!
DSC00888.JPG

This one did not appear this bright until I took a photo of it, but it was a tad off in tone from what I originally thought.
DSC00889.JPG

This was the dark gold I bought, though not for this purpose.
DSC00891.JPG

I had this in my stash already.
DSC00892.JPG
DSC00894.JPG
DSC00896.JPG
DSC00897.JPG

And the gold from the other block.
DSC00898.JPG

In pictures it is so difficult but first reactions are that none of the greens really look right, though the one in picture 4 looks closest... I actually like the purple just because it is such an obvious contrast and creates a true break in the pattern, and the brighter gold looks good also but may be a bit too bright in real life. The darker gold looks ok but I don't like the busy pattern for this purpose. It just seems too busy in the picture, though that could be more from the camera than the real life look.

It looks great in a lot of colors, really. I've done it in pinks/purples for my niece, below, and I think it would really pop in purples and bright yellows/golds. View attachment 1222206

This may seem weird... but do you have any of the light pink left that is in the center of this quilt? I am wondering if a pastel pink or soft pastel green would work as a frame.

This may seem weird... but do you have any of the light pink left that is in the center of this quilt? I am wondering if a pastel pink or soft pastel green would work as a frame.

No, I don't think so. The purple is actually that darker brown I had, not purple. See, that's the problem with no real natural light for photos, things look off from what they really are. I wish I had more of the blender green in the center, but I only have a small piece.

Two more examples, one green that I got, not necessarily for this project, and the darkest red, to go "off-book" completely. I love that red just for itself It's one of the historic fabrics, if I remember right.
DSC00899.JPG
DSC00900.JPG

The background of the green is right, but the pattern color makes it seem 'brassy' and seems to harsh against the other colors.
I agree. thanks for pointing that out.

I like that dark red, too, very very nice and doesn't blare out at you, even though there is no red in the quilt until this point. I put both of the reds against the quilt blocks. I did not try to rusty-red because the pattern is too busy, IMO, but I also placed the brown for comparison. So, my husband comes in and says, "I like the purplish color best". Of course, he meant that deep purplish-red. He may be right. The pattern doesn't fight with the fabrics in the blocks, is very subtle and reads as a solid. I could use it for this border, then also the 3" border between this assembly and the round of 9" blocks. The country red is very pretty, has both gold and green in it, but I'm afraid it's too bright. What do you think of that idea?
DSC00907.JPG

I agree, the darker red still has my vote...the fact that it reads as solid is a good, adding a busy print between all of the other prints just causes more clashing rather than the framing break it should be. The brown is just not quite the right tone, maybe if it had been more to the rust or ochre shade.

I think it should work well like you are planning.

I agree, the darker red still has my vote...the fact that it reads as solid is a good, adding a busy print between all of the other prints just causes more clashing rather than the framing break it should be. The brown is just not quite the right tone, maybe if it had been more to the rust or ochre shade.

I think it should work well like you are planning.

I wish I had something rust, but I really don't. It's not something I really keep here much. What I have really veers more toward harvest orange, not a true rust. I even tried that, too, but I knew it wouldn't work. We'll go with the dark red, then, and Ill get started on that tomorrow. Temps are plummeting after an almost spring-like week so not much reason to be out of the house tomorrow. Thanks again for your input, Karen.

Back
Top Bottom