Oral Fluids - URGENT

CWJBrice

Hatching
May 29, 2016
Hi everyone

I sadly lost a peahen to Blackhead (confirmed on PM), last year, and I have noticed one of my peahens this year is going down with similar clinical signs. I have started treatment with appropriate medication however I was unsure how much oral fluid I could give as a one off dose to help support her.

In any of your experiences do you know what an appropriate maximum amount of oral fluids you could give as a single dose would be?

Many thanks

I guess that would depend on what you are giving them.Are you feeding them a gamebird pellet?If you lost one last year and see signs of another with issues,you need to get them on a gamebird feed and a worming schedule.They should be wormed 2 times per year.This doesn't do anything for blackhead,but if you are not feeding and medicating right you will have more problem.Blackhead is treated with dimetridazole and I have no idea where you can get it.Maybe try an online poultry supply and if they don't have it maybe they have a generic brand of it.
In N.H.,Tony.

Hi Tony

Thank you for reply, the birds are being wormed with Ivermectin, and she is currently being treated with TMPS and a coccidiostat to try and help the situation. But I have some suspicions she is not drinking, so am supplementing her with oral fluids, just did not know how much I could give as a maximum single dose, any ideas?

Many thanks

For a peahen I think a max. of 60 - 90 ml orally is reccomended. And it should be warmed to lessen the risk of vomiting.

Hi everyone

I sadly lost a peahen to Blackhead (confirmed on PM), last year, and I have noticed one of my peahens this year is going down with similar clinical signs. I have started treatment with appropriate medication however I was unsure how much oral fluid I could give as a one off dose to help support her.

In any of your experiences do you know what an appropriate maximum amount of oral fluids you could give as a single dose would be?

Many thanks

@CWJBrice, welcome to BYC. DylansMom and KsKingBee are spot on... 60 ml should be a very safe amount to give any bird over a year old. FWIW, many of mine can tolerate 90 ml, some can even take 120. Best to start out with just 60, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat if crop has cleared.

200 ml per day is a good target.

For blackhead you will need metronidazole, rodondizole, or dimetridazole. Metronidazole is the easiest to find, google Fish-Zole. If you bird has blackhead it will almost certainly die if you don't treat with one of the zoles.

-Kathy

Hi Tony

Thank you for reply, the birds are being wormed with Ivermectin, and she is currently being treated with TMPS and a coccidiostat to try and help the situation. But I have some suspicions she is not drinking, so am supplementing her with oral fluids, just did not know how much I could give as a maximum single dose, any ideas?

Many thanks

The wormer you want to use for the cecal worm is 10 % Safeguard (fenbendazole 100 mg/ml) liquid or paste. Give 0.23 ml per pound orally and repeat in ten days. If you think she might have cappilary worms, give the same amount for five consecutive days.

-Kathy

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your replies, I was already treated her with Metronidazole and TMPS (for secondary infections), Metronidazole I am giving once daily orally, and TMPS twice daily. I was giving 30mls of oral fluids, so I will increase this. She is still with us and still eating so fingers crossed I am doing something right, that said she is considerably lighter than the other birds, she is down to 3kg at last time of weighing and I suspect she has dropped further since.

I wormed her the other day with Ivermectin (spot on) as this targets roundworms, like the roundworm which carries the protozoa Histomonas (Blackhead). Do you think she would benefit from Fenbendazole on top of this? Or may it be too late anyway?

Many thanks

Charles

I am struggling to get hold of 10% Safeguard, however there are two products I could get hold of...

1. Panacur Small Animal 10% (Fenbendazole)

2. Flubenvet (Flubendazole) (licensed for chickens and turkeys)

Does anyone use either of these products? Do they know if they would be safe?

Many thanks

I am struggling to get hold of 10% Safeguard, however there are two products I could get hold of...

1. Panacur Small Animal 10% (Fenbendazole)

2. Flubenvet (Flubendazole) (licensed for chickens and turkeys)

Does anyone use either of these products? Do they know if they would be safe?

Many thanks
The Panacur will work, it's the same as Safeguard. Flubenvet would also work, but I think you're supposed to mix that in their feed? Are you in the UK?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom