Organic chicken feed, Lebanon, Indiana (Laf./Attica/Crawfdsville too)

Quote:
I prefer the one out of Goshen, Kruse's.
20741_p1180612.jpg

20741_p1180613.jpg

I buy it usually just because it is a smaller company that is originally from around here and it isn't shipped as far as the organic pride. The chickens ate both brands fine and I didn't notice any difference in the eggs or production. I do feed other organic treats, oyster shell, and BOSS. The feed store I shop at charges $25.00/ 50# for either brand.

Around here, in the past year, I have noticed the closest feed store has increased their prices a lot. I think it is just because they can with the increase in popularity of keeping chickens. The closest one to me used to charge $0.60 a lb for Black Oil sunflower seeds in March and now they are a $1.00 a lb. The conventional chicken feed used be less than half the price of the organic I was buying there, but the last time I was in, at the end of summer, they had conventional listed for $17.00/ #25 bag. Crazy. I drive a bit further to a different store now to get everything I need and their prices have been stable since I first got my chickens. I would love to see the prices for organic feeds that Exop listed around here.

I have a page I have been working on with the listings of companies that mill organic chicken feed and feed stores that sell it. I am always looking for more to add. PM if you have a great source or store you want added.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=20741-organic-chicken-feeds

thanks very much GardeNerd. Thats my next feed
wink.png
I'll also be checking out your page.. And just for anyone wanting to know, it's $23.00 for 50lbs at this store i'll be purchasing from.

A couple months ago when I was at Central Indiana Organics, waiting to pay for feed, I was talking to the guy at the counter and I remember he mentioned something about a supplier of organic feeds (or was it grains?) somewhere in Northern Indiana. I'd suggest that you call and ask; these folks seem very knowledgeable about what's going on, organically, in IN.

Best regards,
exop

Last edited:
I had to back up at look at this post not just because of the feed, I'm in Crawfordsville!! Actually just south of Linden, I'm in Lafayette all the time, my daughter attends Purdue:) Great info on the organic feed! I also wanted to stop by and say HI!!! Your so close:)

Shari

I'm in Valparaiso and drove down to Indiana Organics in October. Bought 3 bags, 2 layer 1 scratch. My two banties are doing great on it. My 4 little pigeons even go over and eat out of the chicken feeder. I free feed and always keep feeders full and still have enough for a couple more months.

They are real nice folks at IO.

I'm glad to say, all Central Indiana Organics' prices have dropped as of April 2010! Not such a big difference for the mash blends, they're about $3 cheaper, but the whole grains have dropped a lot - wheat in particular has gone from $15 down to $9. I'll no longer feel so extravagant feeding my chickens wheat
smile.png

They've also added a new high-protein turkey starter (26%), and a second, slightly higher-than-usual protein grower mash (20%).

I've updated the price list at the top of the page!

Best - exop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom