Organic chicken feed, Lebanon, Indiana (Laf./Attica/Crawfdsville too)

I am looking for non-GMO feed in the Lafayette area. This thread jumps from 2010 to 2013 and I feel like I'm missing something. I'm new to the group and am about a week away from purchasing pullets (I hope). The coop and run are nearly set but I am still working on non-GMO feed. I looked at Central Indiana Organics but the on-line information does not say that it is non-GMO. Actually, I have family in northern Indiana and I travel to Indianapolis once a month. I am willing to drive a bit to get it if I need to do so.

I too am from Lafayette and I just went to Lebanon to get feed non GMO non soy organic. $30 per bag. Our hens are mostly grass fed, but I like to supplement with feed so the cost is not that bad. HOpe you find what you are looking for. I have heard that there is a place on 9th street towards Battleground that carries organic feed, but I have been unsuccessful in finding it.

I was at Central Indiana Organics this morning, Sept 21, 2013... current price for 50# bag of layer (18% protein) is $29, 19% grower is $31. Bagged organic corn, $18 (hoping that one will drop a bit sometime soon).

About the non soy organic layer feed, last I checked it relied on field peas, black turtle beans and blackeyed peas to make up the protein.

While I was in there a gentleman came in asking about non-GMO feed, so I found out they do mill non-GMO feed, but I did not ask about price.
The organic feeds there are also all non-GMO, since that's required by the USDA Organic program.

A friend of mine told me about Buckles carrying organic feed. What brand do they have?

Last edited:
Hey, just wondering if you are still buying feed there? I am in West Lafayette and looking for a better deal than Buckles on Organic feed.

Yep, still getting it. The price has come down again, $25.85 for a 50Lb bag of organic layer 18%, $26 for a 50Lb bag of organic grower 19%. The layer is winter ration now, meaning that it has alfalfa meal mixed into it to make up for the greens they are not eating. Nice.

Organic wheat is still $18 / 50Lb, but organic corn is now only $13.50 / 50Lb, just in time for the cold weather. I learned recently that the CIO org. corn and wheat are both locally sourced and Indiana grown, except in conditions of extreme shortage such as the 2011 drought when they had to buy some in from another supplier.

Because the feed is now being sold at Agrarian in Indy, who I guess asked for smaller bags for their customers, there is a 25Lb sack of layer now, I believe it was priced around $14 at the warehouse. In general CIO's feed prices follow market prices for organic grains, so if those dip down, their feeds will as well.

I stopped into get some organic grower this weekend...$26 for a 50 pound bag. Just wanted to pass along the pricing info to anyone who might be interested!!

I stopped into get some organic grower this weekend...$26 for a 50 pound bag. Just wanted to pass along the pricing info to anyone who might be interested!!

Thanks for keeping this updated! We are moving to Lebanon in July and our chicks are coming the end of July. Glad to have found a nearby place for organic feed.

Quote:Hurray!

Since you're moving to Lebanon, be sure not to miss the Central Indiana Poultry Show on October 18! That's in Lebanon too, actually it's at the same exit where Central Indiana Organics is located, it's just on the other side of the highway. At the Boone County Fairground, which is less than a block east from exit 138.

Last edited:
Hey Indiana folks! Just found this thread.

I get my feed from Honeyville - in Topeka - no soy using field peas to replace the soy. When I first started with chickens I had them formulate for me since their regular feed has soy and I didn't want to feed soy. Because it was a special mix w/out the soy, I had to purchase a minimum of 300 lbs. so I found someone to share that. (I have to say that is a GREAT amount however since most mills require 1000 lbs minimum for a special mix.
ep.gif
)

Even though I shared, it was still lasting a long time for my small flock and I don't like it getting rancid (which begins to happen as soon as a grain is cracked) so I started purchasing the ingredients in 50 lb bags and mixing my own so that it would be fresh.

Anyhow, they have organic, non-gmo, or regular depending on what you're interested in.

Also wanted to let you all know about the Indiana thread if you haven't seen it. Lots of activity there and they're planning a summer get-together if anyone is interested! I think some of them would also be interested in the organic/feed mill resources you've found :D

Thread is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here/28940#post_13664448

Back
Top Bottom